Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

subtitles Lost when Merging Multi Format Movies(DVD and BluRay)

dterry23dterry23 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Issue: When a movie is merged with another movie (eg bluRay and DVD quality) in the same folder the subtitles are lost
Setup:
Current running Version 1.5.5.3634 on Windows 10
How to recreate the issue:
I converted Hidden Figures in both DVD and BluRay. The DVD has subtitles (VOBSUB) included in the M4V file. The BluRay current does not have any subtitles included. I have them in the same folder named as indicated below
Hidden Figures (2016) - 1080p.m4v
Hidden Figures (2016) - 480p.m4v
when the movies are merged together i can see in the info of the movie the following subtitle
Codec VOBSUB
Bitrate 6 kbps
Language English
Stream Identifier 6
But the drop down for subtitles shows "NONE"
but when i split the movies apart then all the subtitles for the DVD show up.
I get if i select a subtitle that is only available for the lower grade DVD i will be forced to a lower quality movie and the mater of the fact is I am ok with that because i asked for subtitles and that is the only file that contains them but to hid them and not show the exists this is a bug.

Tagged:

Answers

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Members Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19

Plex uses the highest resolution version as it's default - you already know that part.

One Solution is to 'Spit' the 'Merged' versions into two separate items - then play the item with the subs when necessary.

Another Solution is to go and get an SRT sub file for the one you don't have:
    https://subscene.com/

A Movie Library:
    .....Hidden Figures (2016) [DVD Rip W Subs].xxx
    .....Hidden Figures (2016) [BluRay].xxx
    .....Hidden Figures (2016) [BluRay].lang.srt <--- replace 'lang' with your language code.
    (run time is the only 'required' condition to match a suitable srt file - and that it's UTF-8 format, of course)

If the run time for both of your versions is the same you can, as yet another option, strip out an srt sub file with MKV Extract - packaged with MKVToolNix: https://mkvtoolnix.download/

Note: it's way easier to just go to subscene and get a sub file. Using similar naming as the example above - and a well timed update, refresh or analyze, will make a sub title track available for your BluRay rip while it's still merged with your DVD rip.