If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Classic no more after 2018?

Lane03Lane03 Posts: 61Members ✭✭

I assume this will break Plex Classic. Correct?

https://blog.roku.com/developer/2017/02/01/legacy-sdk/

Answers

• MelindaSwinimerMelindaSwinimer Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is horrible news... my kids use plex classic only on the older Roku and older avi connected Tv's it's the only one that works because normal plex is not able to play on either. Very sad to hear.

• scarmulletscarmullet Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is this going to affect PLEX on my Roku 3?

• Emissary35Emissary35 Posts: 51Members ✭✭

I only use Plex Classic, I despise the new Plex channel. When Plex Classic no longer works I will stop using Plex completely and find something else instead. Thanks for nothing.

• bitshiffedbitshiffed Posts: 2Members

I'm currently writing a Plex Classic clone with the new SceneGraph API.
    I really don't like the official channel, and am not interested in having to migrate from Plex next year.
    My app isn't quite up to full Plex Classic functionality yet, but if anybody would like to do testing on it, let me know.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,981Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bitshiffed said:
    I'm currently writing a Plex Classic clone with the new SceneGraph API.
    I really don't like the official channel, and am not interested in having to migrate from Plex next year.
    My app isn't quite up to full Plex Classic functionality yet, but if anybody would like to do testing on it, let me know.

I never liked Plex Classic at all but I do like RARflix so if you want to expand/enhance your effort to something like RARflix I would be interested in testing. In case you are not familiar with RARflix the link is:
    https://github.com/ljunkie/rarflix/blob/master/README.md
    and the source is available:
    https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public

For me RARflix is vastly superior to Plex Classic but of course it will die at the same time as Plex Classic for the same reason.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

• bitshiffedbitshiffed Posts: 2Members

@Elijah_Baley said:
    I never liked Plex Classic at all but I do like RARflix so if you want to expand/enhance your effort to something like RARflix I would be interested in testing. In case you are not familiar with RARflix the link is:

I'm curious about what differences you like about RARflix, compared to plex-classic?
    Not to minimize what was probably a ton of work on that project, but I don't really notice any differences in RARflix, aside from changed ui colors and some added tools in media information.

The project I'm working on already departs further, UI-wise, from plex classic than RARflix did. So that may be good or bad...

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,981Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bitshiffed said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

I'm curious about what differences you like about RARflix, compared to plex-classic?
    Not to minimize what was probably a ton of work on that project, but I don't really notice any differences in RARflix, aside from changed ui colors and some added tools in media information.

The project I'm working on already departs further, UI-wise, from plex classic than RARflix did. So that may be good or bad...

The ability to customize all the layouts and the grid view that allows vertical scrolling are two of the things I like. I basically detest the horizontal scrolling that Classic and the current Plex app uses exclusively. In RARflix you can customize the order of the rows on the home screen and library views and even hide them if they are not wanted or needed.

This allows Plex to become close to what they promise it should be, "Your media your way."

I like RARflix because of choice and that is the huge difference between it and all the "official" apps, past and present.

One other thing I miss from both Plex Classic and RARflix is the ability to enable a "Popout" that contains a short synopsis of the highlighted video when browsing.
    The Fire TV and Shield TV do have a similar ability but implemented a bit differently. That implementation is actually as good as or maybe even better than the implementation on the Roku in RARflix or Classic.

I do NOT like the current "hubs" at all and I find them worse than useless like the teats on a boar hog.

All I want is access to "On deck" for TV and the ability to get into my libraries directly from the start screen. I also detest the "Post Play" screen, I NEVER want to have a machine make "suggestions" as I am quite able to make my own choices.

Also RARflix offers sorting options that are very flexible but even then it it lacks a true "AND" or "NOT" or "NOT AND (nand)" or "NOT OR (nor)" to be truly useful the sorting options really need to include at least the first two of those.

TV shows, when played from any screen should return directly to that screen with the next episode highlighted. (auto play for the next episode should always be optional)
    Movies and other video types should simply return to the screen that they were started from.

BTW: If a video is highlighted pressing Play should always start playback. This has NOT been a problem on Roku devices but it took a LOT of argument to convince the developers of the Fire TV and The Shield TV and other devices that it was a good idea. It was fought tooth and nails but they finally gave in and now play works as it should.

One more thing that never got into RARflix but the developer, who now works for Plex, has implemented in the Roku Plex app: If you press play on a video that has been partially watched and the dialog comes up asking to start from beginning or from current position in that dialog pressing play again or OK act the same. That is play starts playback on whichever choice is highlighted. Of course play returns to its original function when that dialog closes.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

• Dan & BevDan & Bev Posts: 2Members

A couple of things that are in RARflix but not in Classic are;
    Auto Episode Advance - When an episode finishes the next one is ready to start. You just press Play.
    The number of unwatched vs total episodes is shown in the popout when a show is selected.