Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Massive stuttering - help

harjonharjon Posts: 80 Plex Pass

This is driving me NUTS

Let me preface this by saying I've had plex for years and other than an occasional glitch, everything has run on all of my platforms buttery smooth on max settings.

A few weeks ago, seemingly out of the blue all of my content began stuttering. Files that have played smooth and well will stutter like a 4k video on an underpowered pc. Either the video will play for a few seconds, freeze and continue, or it'll play in a robotic continuous stutter without sound. Most of my collection is 1080p, but this happens on any video. 720p, 480p, etc..

Platforms I use and current results -
Android - normal
Android tv - hard to say, likely normal but my nexus player is so underpowered it stutters anyhow
Xbox one - unusable
Samsung smart tv - unusable
TiVo bolt - unusable
Xbox 360 - perfectly smooth playback, however 5.1 sound is only presented in the front 3.1 channels

What must I do to fix this?

Server was on 1.55 when this stated. I upgraded to 1.6 with no results, then downgraded to 1.44 with also no results
I have as instill i7 860, 16gb ram, 866mbit connection to my lan.

Help

Answers

• astrofisherastrofisher Plex Dwarf Star Posts: 5,315 Plex Pass

We might find a clue as to what the problem is in the Plex media server log.

To make troubleshooting the logs easier, you should:

Make sure debug logging is enabled (Not Verbose)
    Quit Plex Server
    Give the server 1 minute or so to properly shutdown
    Start Plex Server and give the server 3 or 4 minutes to perform start-up tasks
    Start playback of an item that exhibits the problem and playback the item until behavior occurs.
    Make sure that you aren't doing anything else with the server during this test!
    Wait a few minutes and grab log files and attach them to your next post.

Reporting issues with Plex Media Server

• jmeehan11jmeehan11 Posts: 79 Plex Pass

i had a similar issue on mine recently, had a stuck sync trying over and over again.

• harjonharjon Posts: 80 Plex Pass

@astrofisher said:
    We might find a clue as to what the problem is in the Plex media server log.

To make troubleshooting the logs easier, you should:

Make sure debug logging is enabled (Not Verbose)
    Quit Plex Server
    Give the server 1 minute or so to properly shutdown
    Start Plex Server and give the server 3 or 4 minutes to perform start-up tasks
    Start playback of an item that exhibits the problem and playback the item until behavior occurs.
    Make sure that you aren't doing anything else with the server during this test!
    Wait a few minutes and grab log files and attach them to your next post.

Reporting issues with Plex Media Server

Thanks so much for the help, it's much appreciated. I've attached the logs to this post. I played the Xbox One Plex app only to keep it simple. If you need me to reproduce on all the other clients I will. I just randomly chose some files that have been giving me a hard time, but they ALL do.

@jmeehan11 said:
    i had a similar issue on mine recently, had a stuck sync trying over and over again.

It's weird. I've never had an issue. Sure here or there, but this is total and server wide. It's so bizarre.

Hello, thanks for posting good logs to look at. File was transcoding, and transcoder was keeping up just fine. I noticed that you are running an older server version.
    From the server.log:

May 20, 2017 10:18:35.332 [3820] INFO - Plex Media Server v1.4.4.3495-edef59192 - Microsoft PC x64 - build: windows-i386 english - GMT -04:00

You should update to the newest server version. There was a mandatory update awhile back ago - not saying that will fix the problem but...

April 18 2017 Product & Service Announcements:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/268072/plex-media-server-1-5-1-and-plex-media-player-1-2-4-or-newer-are-mandatory-updates#latest

If you missed it in my original post I've done that. Then played with downgrading when I had no joy. Any other ideas? Literally the xbox 360 is the only client that works at the moment and not properly.

@harjon said:
    If you missed it in my original post I've done that. Then played with downgrading when I had no joy. Any other ideas? Literally the xbox 360 is the only client that works at the moment and not properly.

Ayup, went right past that.

Buffering issues suck - don't normally get involved. However, I'm still willing to try to help. I noticed that file was transcoding. Does the same buffering occur if you use a file that will direct play. I don't have an xbox, but do have a Samsung TV (Orca's app). I don't use it anymore, but if you tried again with that client, maybe I could compare against a playback attempt on my end.

Could you explain your network setup, how things are wired, and more info on the server - firewall, antivirus, other programs. I noticed multiple network adapters and am curious.

edited May 21

@astrofisher said:

@harjon said:

Ayup, went right past that.

Buffering issues suck - don't normally get involved. However, I'm still willing to try to help. I noticed that file was transcoding. Does the same buffering occur if you use a file that will direct play. I don't have an xbox, but do have a Samsung TV (Orca's app). I don't use it anymore, but if you tried again with that client, maybe I could compare against a playback attempt on my end.

Could you explain your network setup, how things are wired, and more info on the server - firewall, antivirus, other programs. I noticed multiple network adapters and am curious.

Appreciate any of the help I can get. I'll describe my setup first - Pentium i7 820 - 2.8 ghz, 16 ram, connected via gigabit ethernet to an ac wireless bridge to an ac netgear router at 867 mbps. Firewalls shouldn't be an issue, the software ones are off on this server and everything is internal on the LAN.

I have 7 drives I use for plex, a mixture of internal and external usb 3.0 drives.

Clients are listed in my original post. The only issues I've ever had are in regards to client specific transcoding probs with audio or something. DTS isn't supported so must transcode to DD, etc.. Beyond that, a few bugs in the clients themselves which everyone had, that were later smoothed out.

With this rig and setup I've never really had an issue playing anything back. Now media I've had for years is stuttering when it played buttery smooth before. I haven't changed my setup in any way that I know of.

I'll have to find something that plays back without transcoding on xbox. I think that's going to be dd encoded mp4. I'll have to get back to you on that as most of my stuff is mkv.

Thanks for the continued help.

Anyone from the actual staff that could help?

Still nobody? Seriously when this is the only avenue for your customers to get any kind of service your business model SUCKS!

Interestingly, for anyone else who might want to help - I'm running an optimized version of a movie, which is directly playing on my Samsung TV tizen TV and it's stuttering every few minutes. It's direct playing, has a physical connection to a gigabit ethernet jack and the pc with the server is using a whopping 7% of cpu to play it back as well as everything else i'm doing. 27% memory being used, mainly by chrome to open this webpage.

What could be the cause of this ridiculous annoyance? My plex setup has just randomly become all but useless.

Grab and post the logs which show the buffering on an item that Plex is direct playing.

• koning702koning702 Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Hey harjon,

I have had multiple users reporting issues of stuttering and audio syncing issues as of late. The only thing that has seemed to fix it for me was notifying all my users to disable Direct Play in the settings. Once they did that, the issues stopped.

Thanks guys, will try.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 4,437 Plex Pass

Also, if you haven't done so already you may want to upgrade to 1.7.1.

@koning702 said:
    Hey harjon,

I have had multiple users reporting issues of stuttering and audio syncing issues as of late. The only thing that has seemed to fix it for me was notifying all my users to disable Direct Play in the settings. Once they did that, the issues stopped.

Sadly no joy. It smoothed out a single video here or there, but only for a short time. At least I'm not alone. I've been doing testing all day. Videos I have encoded at 30mpbs that would play like butter now will hardly even start.

I'm pretty sure these latest releases are borked by something that was done about 2 weeks ago and continues to go unresolved.

@kegobeer-plex said:
    Also, if you haven't done so already you may want to upgrade to 1.7.1.

Already have. No joy there either, which means whatever it is continues to be unresolved as of yet. I'm pretty sure its the server itself. There's nothing left on my end.