Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is it ok to run PMS while restoring Library?

TheeGoochTheeGooch Members, Plex Pass Posts: 46 Plex Pass

I recently wiped my media storage volume ( media file only! ) and am restoring movie files from Backblaze cloud backup. The restore is packaged as big zip files that I download and unzip to my media volume. I get about 1 file every 15 hours, and I am wondering what Plex will do if I start it up before all the files are restored.

Will it delete the missing movies from my library? Or will the unrestored movies appear in Plex app but be unplayable until the restore is done? I'm hoping for the latter, but I won't start my PMS server until I'm sure it's safe to do so.

As a side note, I've never done a restore from the cloud before. I didn't realize how slow and complicated it could be.

Best Answers

Answers

• TheeGoochTheeGooch Members, Plex Pass Posts: 46 Plex Pass

@jmckee said:
    If you currently have no media then I would recommend not turning on the PMS. (If you have no media currently then there is no need to have the PMS running).

If you do have media (or just want to run the server anyway) then I would go into your server settings and make sure Empty Trash automatically after every scan' is disabled (unchecked).

While files will be scanned and the server will noticed they are missing, they will simply be marked with a trash can symbol meaning that they are inaccessible. If you have the empty trash option enabled then the server will automatically delete the items from the server. With them disabled the server should recognize them and mark them as available as they get re-added to your media folders.

I found the setting under "Library" with "Advanced Settings" and it was enabled. Question though, it it doesn't empty trash after every scan , when would it empty the trash? Never?