Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server keeps crashing! Help!

carmstercarmster Posts: 27 Plex Pass

I'm new here and am not that tech savvy. So here goes: I'm running Windows 10 (version 1703) 64-bit. I have Plex Media Server loaded on my computer (Plex version 3.4.1). I'm using a Roku 3 on my TV to play my music playlists and show photographs on the TV. Everything has been working perfectly for 2 years. However now, when I engage everything (pictures with music, pictures only, music only), the music plays and the photos display for 10-12 minutes and then everything shuts down. The music stops, the pictures cease and the Roku screen reverts back to the home screen. I've restarted my router, rebooted my computer, made sure all software versions are up-to-date, soft-rebooted the Roku, uninstalled Plex from the TV and reinstalled new version and now I'm stumped. Can someone please help me? PLEASE?

Answers

• carmstercarmster Posts: 27 Plex Pass

Attached are my server logs from just a few minutes ago. Hope this helps!

Can anyone please help?

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 4,437 Plex Pass

So, when this happens you see on the Plex server computer that the Plex server application has indeed crashed? The Plex icon disappears from the task bar when you hover the mouse over it?

Actually no. The Plex icon on the desktop remains intact. The Plex icon on my Roku 3 is still there as well. When I activate Plex through the TV and start music it's fine and then I initiate the photograph scrolling (it's fine too). But, 10 minutes in, both pictures and music stop. I've also tried just playing the music (thinking there's a glitch in the photos) - same problem, music stops after 10 minutes. Then I tried just running the photos with no music - same problem, photos stop after 10 minutes and a black screen appears indicating "loading, loading, loading" and then finally the black screen reverts back to the Roku home screen with my channels on it.

edited May 21

So, this is a purely Roku issue for you? If you use the desktop PMP application, or the web version, or a phone Plex app, does this happen?

This does NOT appear to be a Roku issue as nothing happens with the Roku on anything else BUT when I use Plex. I have a Plex Pass, have the Plex application loaded on my Windows 10 computer and run it through my Roku 3 on the TV. I do not have a phone Plex app at all. And, everything has been working flawlessly for two years. This just started within the last month. I'm perplexed to say the least and don't know what to do!! All I use Plex for is to play my music through the Roku/TV and show my photographs using Plex through Roku/TV. That's it! Hmmmm....

You misunderstand me. If the Plex app on the Roku is the only Plex client that has the problem, then the problem is probably with that client and none of the other clients or the Plex server.

If you connect to your Plex server using a web browser and you start playback, does this problem happen? If you install the Plex Media Player desktop application on the computer and play music, does this problem happen?

So very sorry, I did misunderstand you. You are correct. Not being tech savvy, I may need further clarification on this. When you refer to Plex "client" what does that mean? I have Plex Media Server installed on my computer (desktop). I have the Plex application installed on the Roku/TV. I have uninstalled that and reinstalled it thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't. When you say "connect to your Plex server using a web browser", what does that mean? Sorry, I just need to make sure I answer you correctly.

In the meantime, I am sitting at the computer now and will start playing music to determine if it stops on my computer.

Remember how you initially set up your Plex server, by opening a web browser and logging in and doing the initial setup? That's what I mean when I say connecting using a web browser.

The client is the Plex application that you use to watch media. It's the Plex app you installed on your Roku, or the desktop Plex Media Player application you install, or a Plex app you install on a mobile device.

OK, let's see if this is it. I'm using Plex Chrome as the browser. I just set my watch for 15 minutes and played music on my desktop using Plex. No issues. The music continued to play. So now it appears the issue with with Plex and Roku?

P.S. I have to run out for a couple of hours now, but will touch base with you when I return if that's okay. Seems like we're (you) are narrowing down the issue. Fingers crossed you can help me! :-) Much thanks so far!

I'm back now for the rest of the evening if you are around! Thank you!
    Carmi

• barkhaustbarkhaust Posts: 8 Plex Pass

I have a similar issue with the plex app on roku3. Browsing photos from roku3 plex app results in inability to use the plex app for browsing photos, music (thumbnail images don't display) video (starts to play but crashes roku3), plugins (no thumbnails - playing crashes roku3) to temporarily resolve I reboot the roku3. Photo thumbnails are blank and clicking on one results in "unable to load." Thumbnails for movies appear but playing a movie results in roku3 rebooting. No thumbnails for music but music will play. This is completely reproducible. To reproduce begin by browsing a large photo library 1000+ pics. Photos will work at first then after a couple minutes begin not displaying. Once this happens all other Plex functions begin to fail. I first noticed this sometime in May.

• barkhaustbarkhaust Posts: 8 Plex Pass

Also please note I do not have these issues with Android app or using plex from a browser. Only on roku app.

Hoping to hear from kegobeer-plex soon.

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,668 Plex Pass

Maybe I misread but what PMS version are you really running??
    There is no Plex version 3.4.1
    Current Plex Pass version is 1.5.5..
    Be sure you are updated to that version.
    I think I read somewhere all versions below 1.5.1 are now obsolete
    and probably will fail with most clients

If it's just the Plex app on your Roku, then the app developers have to do some fixing to get things working. Not much you can do except follow the guidance for getting Roku logs:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201377603

Then it's a matter of hoping someone from Plex notices your posts here and starts looks at your logs. That's the real hurdle nowadays.

Well if he is not running ver 1.5+ I think the Roku IS expected to fail.
    Plex announced that could be the case as they forced 1.5+ to be only working version for the future.
    (Pretty sure I heard that somewhere)
    He should check his version and upgrade if needed.

@jjrjr1 said:
    Well if he is not running ver 1.5+ I think the Roku IS expected to fail.
    Plex announced that could be the case as they forced 1.5+ to be only working version for the future.
    (Pretty sure I heard that somewhere)
    He should check his version and upgrade if needed.

Look at his logs - he's running 1.6.1.

Well that answers that question.. Thanks.
    Why not try 1.5.5 anyway.
    Isn't 1.6 Pre-Release anyway??
    Who knows what bugs there may be??