Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Alexa Can Not Find/Open Plex on Apple TV

davidfolenderdavidfolender Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

Every time I ask Alexa to open Plex she replies: "Your Plex Player, App TV does not appear to be online, would you like to use a different player". However, it is online and if I manually open Plex then I am able to control it through Alexa.

I do have a Fire TV Stick, but don;t use it that much. I use Plex 98% of the time.

Can't seem to find anything on why Alexa can not find Plex which is up and running....

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• davidfolenderdavidfolender Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

No one? Really?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,446 Plex Employee

"Alexa, open Plex" does not open the Plex app if that is what you were thinking. Alexa cannot open the Plex app. Plex has to already be running. I don't believe Alexa can turn on any app, not just Plex.

• davidfolenderdavidfolender Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

@SiscoPlex said:
    She can with the intervention of third party hardware ie: a harmony hub.
    I tell alexa to turn on plex which does exactly as described, then I use the Plex skill to control plex.

I have the Harmony Hub too. Still can't get her to do it. She tells me there is no Plex server running. What are the exact steps you take or exact phrases you use?

Thanks

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 777 Plex Pass

I have the Harmony Hub too. Still can't get her to do it. She tells me there is no Plex server running. What are the exact steps you take or exact phrases you use?

Thanks

Create a new activity called Plex on your Harmony
    Copy the start sequence from your Watch TV or whatever activity use to turn on your entertainment system (this way if the system is off it will turn everything on and if it's already on, the hub will know and skip the powering on everything)
    Add 5 second delay (to let the Apple TV get ready)
    (Now you have to get the selector back to the first column first row from anywhere the Apple TV happens to be when you run this activity)
    Add on Apple TV
    Add on Apple TV
    Add on Apple TV
    Add 1 second delay
    Add on Apple TV
    (Now you will be at the first column, first row on the Apple TV home screen from anywhere including power up)
    From here put in the sequence of and to get to your Plex icon
    Add

I do not have an Apple TV but this should be about right for you.

Once this is done you will say "Alexa, Turn On Plex" this will start Plex on your Apple TV.