If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Taking a long time to detect Plex Media Server on Asustor AS1002T

frommylensfrommylens Posts: 2Members

My Cambridge Audio CXN network player sometime take a long time (up to 30mins) to detect the Plex Media Server running from Asustor AS1002T NAS Drive.

But with the Plex Media Server running from my Windows 10 PC, the CXN network player is able to detect it quickly

It is a problem with the Plex Media Server for Asustor or there are some settings that could help speed up the detection?

Tagged:

Answers

• MikeG6.5MikeG6.5 Posts: 2,434Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The AS-1002T model has a very under-powered CPU in it. as such, when you have a fair amount of media, it can take a while for the NAS to be able to put together the pages that the clients use to display the media info. This is compounded if the NAS is either adding media, or indexing media, as these tasks are extremely CPU intensive. (Or if you are doing any other tasks with the NAS such as backing up PC's or other disk/network intensive tasks.)

This model really has one of the least powerful CPU's of any NAS Asustor has made. And if the media isn't in the correct codecs it can be very disappointing in terms of user experience.

I have a number of links in my signature that could help you to optimize Plex a little better than default, but I think the performance issues you are having are actually hardware based and not Plex itself. While I was able to get the AS-202T to operate Plex reasonably well, it does take a bit of effort. (This is the least powerful CPU'd model Asustor has made, and it won't handle transcoding AT ALL! Even syncing media could take days if the media needed transcoding, for instance.)

I had hoped when Asustor announce the AS-100x models that they would have a more powerful CPU in it than the 7004T model came with. But they went the other way, instead, to a smaller CPU to try getting a low end device into more people's hands. IMHO, they really dropped the ball with this model.

• frommylensfrommylens Posts: 2Members

Agree that the AS-1002T has a very under-powered CPU. For my case I doubt it's due to that coz the AS-1002T has been turned on for a long time and definitely enough time for it to put together the pages.

With the AS-1002T already turned on, I've tested turning off and on the CXN, sometimes the detection is immediate and sometime it would take a long time.

• MikeG6.5MikeG6.5 Posts: 2,434Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For my AS-202T, the larger the library the longer it took to make any page to appear. I reached a point where I was no longer getting reliable page updates, and that's when I upgraded to the 7004T. The size of your metadata folders is going to be one of the key determining factors here. If you have thumbnails being generated, that 's adding a lot to the size of the folder. And increasing the odds that the machine is going to slow down so much it can no longer keep pace with your viewing changes. (Or drop the server completely.)

The AS-1002T has a somewhat better CPU than the 202T had(s), but the bottom line is simple. The machine is barely capable of running Plex with a moderately sized library. (Including photos and music in there, BTW.) Accessing the pages is your first indication you are over-taxing the system.

If we compare your NAS to a car race, you are running a Ford Pinto. I'm running a Firebird. And folks with higher end CPU's are running Lamborginni. All three cars have the same basic parts. 4 wheels on the ground, an engine, steering wheel, etc... But as the price tag goes up the level of performance rises as well. I can lap you twice in the time it takes you to make one lap. And get lapped 2-4 times in the same period of time.

In other words, it comes back to the same thing I already mentioned to you. The CPU in the 1002T is just too lightweight for any medium sized library. (> than 1000 items, < than 2500 or so.) Use the device to store your media on and set up another machine as your PMS, pointing to the media on the NAS is your only workable solution with that device. Otherwise you are going to continue to have problems, and likely won't be happy with the NAS or with Plex itself. (And the reality of the situation is, the hardware just hasn't got the power it needs to do the job you're asking it to do.)

And trust me, if there were a way to make this work on your NAS I would already be doing it on my 202T....