If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

H264 Maxium Level Broken - Plex for Android 5.10.0

Dion250Dion250 Posts: 154Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This setting is broken on Plex for Android 5.10.0 when using Nexus 7. It reverts to 4.0 every time I open the app. It doesn't respect the setting I use and forces all videos to transcode when they played Direct perfectly fine.

Comments

• Dion250Dion250 Posts: 154Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

please fix.. other post / threads are mentioning the issue too.

• sam3sam3 Posts: 100Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here (on Nexus 7 too) :(
    It's a real pain as my server is very low power.

Please fix this..

• sam3sam3 Posts: 100Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Still happens in Plex for Android 6.0.1

Doesn't seem to happen on FireTV.. Must be a mobile error. Hopefully it can be fixed.. Don't want stuff transcoding when it doesn't need too.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,037Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the report. I'm seeing the same thing. I'll let the devs know.

• zabby39103zabby39103 Posts: 16Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also reporting in with the same issue. Video files will cast (chromecast) fine from laptop... but android always transcodes, even with maximum level selected. This is new, it worked fine before.

• mdnitoilmdnitoil Posts: 380Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Seeing this on the wife's Kindle. Combine that with a Drobo server and not a single video can be played. Pretty impressive that it could fail so spectacularly.

• xwinterxwinter Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Has anyone found a fix for this? I bought Plex through the Amazon app store and can't downgrade. Not only is not respecting H264 level, but if I set a 4.1 H264 to play at Original it sets the quality to Maximum 200mpbs 1080p which my connection can't handle and it dies

I e-mailed my logs to myself and found nothing in the log about settings activities

I sideloaded back to 5.10 and found the same issue which is where I assume the bug was introduced, I'm using the Web player via Chrome as a 'workaround' but it would be nice if the devs also included the Amazon apk's in the release thread. I may end up paying for the app twice just to downgrade

• BrendanZABrendanZA Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Having the same issue on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1(2016).

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,037Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The devs have identified the problem. Hopefully a fix will come soon.

• razvan.constantinrazvan.constantin Posts: 218Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 20

Given that it worked in the past it baffles me why for crying out loud it is broken now.
    Do you have someone banging their heads against the keyboard back at Plex hq?
    Way to many times I just want to relax and watch and darn movie only to discover, yet again, that someone at Plex broke something. Again and again!
    Get some proper programmers. Ask us for funds if you're out! I'll pay! But please stop this madness with breaking stuff every freaking release!
    I am ok now.

I don't mind things breaking, I work as a software developer, that **** just happens and I imagine that mobile is a lot lower on the priority list than the TV Android app. I truly dislike not being able to roll back to an earlier release though

Update 6.1.2.812 and this problem still persists.
    If a dev thought this is somehow a good idea i have to point out that my pretty old phone can play and stream videos @ 25 Mbps with H264 level set to 5.2. (was just a test file to see if my phone can handle it. I know its crazy to create such files)
    Somehow Plex app thinks that my phone can only do 4.0.
    At least make the setting stick please!

Yup still broken. The setting just doesn't work on Mobile devices at all.. Can't change it... Settings don't save. Always transcoding when it doesn't need to be.

• AmbicatusAmbicatus Posts: 7Members ✭✭

@Dion250 said:
    Yup still broken. The setting just doesn't work on Mobile devices at all.. Can't change it... Settings don't save. Always transcoding when it doesn't need to be.

Newest Plex version is broken for me too, can't stream any webm's from my pc to my phone (wifi). Transcoder crashes everytime. Went back to version 1.5.6.3790 - everything is working fine there.

I'm pretty angry since i had to spend 2 hrs to find an old plex media server version in order to stream to my phone again - For what did i pay 4€ in the playstore is thinks get broken?!

• AmbicatusAmbicatus Posts: 7Members ✭✭

if things* sorry + Cant optimize any videos anymore - on the older versions its working flawlessly

@razvan.constantin said:
    Update 6.1.2.812 and this problem still persists.
    If a dev thought this is somehow a good idea i have to point out that my pretty old phone can play and stream videos @ 25 Mbps with H264 level set to 5.2. (was just a test file to see if my phone can handle it. I know its crazy to create such files)
    Somehow Plex app thinks that my phone can only do 4.0.
    At least make the setting stick please!

Guess I shouldn't be annoyed that the Amazon app store is still at 6.1.1.656 then....

6.1.3.933 and still not saving settings.
    Anyone at Plex still aware of this problem?

Yes we are aware. A fix is in the work, but no info on when it will be ready.