If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can music on my Plex server be played through the Alexa Echo speaker?

I can't find anything that definitively states whether or not there is a way to actually HEAR my Plex music content on the Echo speaker. Does it only support CONTROL of Plex media files?

Answers

• aschuettaschuett Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Tap devices can be used to communicate with Alexa, however at this time they can't be used for playback themselves. We hope this will be a reality in the near future.

See: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115000320808-Getting-Started-with-Alexa-Voice-Control

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,379Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 27

@aschuett said:
    Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Tap devices can be used to communicate with Alexa, however at this time they can't be used for playback themselves. We hope this will be a reality in the near future.

It is "possible" to playback through Echo devices. Since the Echo is a Bluetooth speaker all you need to do is arrange the audio from Plex to pass through a Bluetooth transmitter and pair that transmitter with your Echo. That is a less than optimal solution for many but it does work.

BTW: Of course Echo devices can communicate with "Alexia" since "Alexia" is basically the Echo device's operating system. I think what you meant is that the Echo hardware using Alexia can communicate with Plex. I have tried it and REALLY wanted it to work but I found it so buggy as to make it nearly unusable most of the time.

It is often that a simple phrase like "Alexia tell Plex to press pause" will cause some random totally unrelated video or audio to start and then you have to grab a remote and jump through hoops to get back to what you were watching.

The Plex/Alexia integration is barely one step removed from junk and it does more harm than good to my viewing experience.

If you have a Harmony hub the Alexia/Harmony integration is VASTLY superior in Plex control but just will not start a program by name.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• hurnikhurnik Posts: 2Members

I vote for this feature as well. Kinda makes my Plex media server useless when all I can do with Alexa is voice control the PC. (Actually I have the QNAP NAS). Although how much of this is Amazon's fault for not offering DLNA or iTunes server support, I don't know. Seems the only way to play music to listen on the Echo, on a NAS/server with Amazon Alexa is to pay Amazon to upload to the cloud and go from there.

Hopefully the Plex folks can figure this out. I mean if the Echo can play music from the Prime account, it shouldn't need bluetooth integration to play from the Plex media server running on the QNAP NAS or other device. (But then again maybe Amazon hasn't exposed the necessary APIs or Protocols to do this).

May get a Google Home and see if it's any better.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 961Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

From what I understand, Amazon needs to enable push before this can happen. So if that is the case then Plex cannot do anything until Amazon does their part.

• labashosky2010labashosky2010 Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • PhilCootesPhilCootes Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any ETA on when this will be implemented for plex served audio files?

• mayer-servermayer-server Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This right here. It seems that Plex hasn't tried this or it doesn't work as it is right now. Otherwise, why wouldn't they? The only acceptable answer is: they are or it's in development. Not: we'll look into it or have nothing planned.

• solventwaltzsolventwaltz Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yesterday, Plex was playing directly from my Amazon Echo after previously playing only through the tablet on which the plex instance was running (i.e., the expected behavior). I got very excited, hooked up the Echo to some speakers, and enjoyed about 20 minutes of music from Plex playing directly through Alex -- which allowed me to control the volume of the music with voice commands.

Alas, I got curious and changed the music selection on my tablet to see what would happen. Music stopped playing through Alexa and I couldn't get it to play directly through Alexa again. Super strange, but maybe a sign of things to come?

• thetjrthetjr Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You really, really need to get this to play music through AMAZON ALEXA ECHO and DOT and not just through plex connected devices.

• robbiefrobbief Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This would be super

• dnjorddnjord Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree. This seems overdue.

• wolfeswolfes Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Really could use this!

• GarvinatorGarvinator Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

A least an ETA would be nice.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 961Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex does not give ETA's

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 333Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You could pair the tablet with the Echo over Bluetooth and use the tablet as a controller, and Echo as the speaker. A workaround at best.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

• vanstinatorvanstinator Plex Voice Control Posts: 703Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Projects I currently develop or maintain

Classic Forum for Plex - A forum skin that aims to replicate the classic forum experience as best as possible without taking away some of the better things about the new forum.

PlexWink - A Plex Channel that monitors Plex and controls your smart lights based on playback.

UASViewer - A Plex Channel for the Unsupported App Store that lets you browse channels right from Plex.

confirmed. "Alexa ask plex to shuffle playlist 'good music'"

Thanks plex devs!!!!!!!!!!

edited November 14

I spoke too soon. It plays about 3/4 of the way threw the first song then stops (Amazon Show with Plex Server 1.9.7.4441).

@vanstinator is there anything (logs) I can send you to see if this is fixable?

[UPDATE] upgraded to Plex Server 1.9.7.4460 and so far it hasn't stopped.

• vanstinatorvanstinator Plex Voice Control Posts: 703Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I've seen a few instances in the logs where the AVS (alexa voice service) tries to seek to a negative offset. It seems to be a rare occurrence. For now just say Alexa, Play and it should pick up again and resume your playqueue. I'll file an internal issue to look at this.

Projects I currently develop or maintain

Classic Forum for Plex - A forum skin that aims to replicate the classic forum experience as best as possible without taking away some of the better things about the new forum.

PlexWink - A Plex Channel that monitors Plex and controls your smart lights based on playback.

UASViewer - A Plex Channel for the Unsupported App Store that lets you browse channels right from Plex.

• coryskiscoryskis Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can get all of my playlists to play just fine. I can also request by artist most of the time. Is it possible to ask for certain track's. For example "Alexa ask Plex to play the track Thunder by Imagine Dragon's." She will just return that she can't find imagine dragons on my Plex server or just start randomly playing songs by imagine dragons. When i look in the Alexa App the transcribe is exactly what I said.