If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Has this app been abandoned?

missionspartamissionsparta Posts: 233Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The sync issues, the not being marked watched issues, the not being able to be able to switch between this device and the server, etc have gone on forever and there was someone working on it. Now there is no communication and no updates. Has it been abandoned?

Answers

• missionspartamissionsparta Posts: 233Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Should the silence be taken as a "yes"?

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Posts: 459Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

well @pombeirp posted a new version on the 10th of May - so I wouldn't say abandoned but it does seem that many bugs are being left as they are... But the same is happening in the iOS section, and if you noticed plex server hasn't had many "fixes" either - I think there is something internally going on at Plex... I just wish the Plex Team would be more transparent.

As for the windows version, the following bugs are also highly annoying:
    1. When having theme music on and starting an episode, the episode and theme music will play together until the theme song is over and then the episode will restart (now it also happens when you turn the theme music off, although the skip is only 1-2s)
    2. Plex crashes randomly during sync, sometimes after an episode has finished
    3. There is no way of returning from a playing movie/show without leaving full screen
    4. Watched items aren't marked properly - worse if you are connected
    5. I don't understand why subtitles are burned in and cannot be provided separately?! (so you can turn them on and off with sync daata)

Anyway there are surely more problems but the silence across the whole of Plex makes me think there is something else going on in the background that they are not telling us. Which is frustrating for the people contributing here...

• mike4001mike4001 Posts: 556Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well the 10th May update was just a quick fix because apparently PMS 1.6. broke something.

The last "real" update was March 28th ...

I really hope there is something "big" comming - otherwise 2 months with no updates is not acceptable.

• xlr23xlr23 Posts: 63Members ✭✭

I really hope we will get a decent app someday; win10 mobile is dying slowly but win10 on ARM and Win10 S are coming soon... UWP's not dead !

@xlr23 said:
    I really hope we will get a decent app someday; win10 mobile is dying slowly but win10 on ARM and Win10 S are coming soon... UWP's not dead !

It may be dying on mobile, but I use UWP on my Surface Book and a small tablet I have. It is just as bad on those. Who knows. Maybe they are merging with Kodi or some other pipedream and that is why we aren't even getting answers on the message board anymore. I did look around and it seems like on any of the sections (iOS, etc) responses to issues have dried up. Sad. I was about to switch from monthly to lifetime, but with the way it is going it is being treated like a company going out of business (yes...I know that isn't the case...but seems like it with the behavior).

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Posts: 459Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I didn't want to say it that explicitly but it does seem like plex is "shutting" down than anything else. If there is a possible merger, why not say something?! It does seem very odd to have not heard from anyone at plex in many of the sections for a while... They usually have been very active and helpful and now we are stuck with half baked software (particularly on windows).

@chaosmaker said:
    I didn't want to say it that explicitly but it does seem like plex is "shutting" down than anything else. If there is a possible merger, why not say something?! It does seem very odd to have not heard from anyone at plex in many of the sections for a while... They usually have been very active and helpful and now we are stuck with half baked software (particularly on windows).

It would be hard to believe it is shutting down. Its pretty damn popular, and I thought I heard it was profitable. hmmmmm...

Hello? IS ANYONE OUT THERE? THIS IS A PAYING CUSTOMER!

• KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,914Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • phillid2phillid2 Posts: 125Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If I am using a Windows computer, I just use the Web interface - much better functioning product.

Plex Pass on a QNAP TS-251+, 1GB RAM, 1.10.1.4602

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,592Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@phillid2 said:
    If I am using a Windows computer, I just use the Web interface - much better functioning product.

If you are using a Windows computer, you should run the desktop PMP application for the best playback, as it requires no transcoding at all.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

edited May 31

@phillid2 said:

@kegobeer-plex said:

@phillid2 said:

If you are using a Windows computer, you should run the desktop PMP application for the best playback, as it requires no transcoding at all.

But both those apps don't support sync...

Between PMP, Plex for Kodi, UWP and Plex Web, the Plex situation on a Windows desktop is quite a mess. Not that I bothered researching it, but I don't understand why the UWP version doesn't run the PMP playback engine... Sounds stupid.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,592Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@KarlDag said:

Between PMP, Plex for Kodi, UWP and Plex Web, the Plex situation on a Windows desktop is quite a mess. Not that I bothered researching it, but I don't understand why the UWP version doesn't run the PMP playback engine... Sounds stupid.

Sync as in syncing content to a desktop? Not sure why that would be necessary, and the way I understand it, sync is for mobile devices so PMP wouldn't be considered as a sync device.

I've only briefly used Kodi a few years ago and couldn't stand the interface, so I have no experience with Plex for Kodi. I use PMP on my Windows computer and on my NUC (embedded) and I'm very happy with how it behaves and operates. I only use the web app for managing my server. I don't see much of a mess myself, but everyone has different tastes.

UWP is sandboxed, so it's forced to use what Windows allows, and that is not the PMP player mechanics.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

@kegobeer-plex said:

@KarlDag said:

Sync as in syncing content to a desktop? Not sure why that would be necessary, and the way I understand it, sync is for mobile devices so PMP wouldn't be considered as a sync device.

Its called mobile sync, sure, but that's just an arbitrary decision Plex took when they designed it... I really wish I could sync directly from my ShieldTV to bring it to the cottage, or could sync to a laptop when I'm going to be on a plane for example, and still automatically​ have my next unwatched shows...

@kegobeer-plex said:

@KarlDag said:

I've only briefly used Kodi a few years ago and couldn't stand the interface, so I have no experience with Plex for Kodi. I use PMP on my Windows computer and on my NUC (embedded) and I'm very happy with how it behaves and operates. I only use the web app for managing my server. I don't see much of a mess myself, but everyone has different tastes.

UWP is sandboxed, so it's forced to use what Windows allows, and that is not the PMP player mechanics.

Because the same app is run on devices like tablets, the Surface line, and laptops. I take those with me when i travel all the time and sync them as often you don't have a data connection or it is pretty poor. They know this or they wouldn't have made the app, but they should be embarrassed that they have left it in this state. The gentleman working on it was busting his ass to fix the original developers mess, but it seems he has been absent far some time. I'm tired of everytime you mention something for Windows you are told to use the web browser. But that's never the answer for Mac. Just fix the damn program. Using the browser is a lazy excuse and sucks (especially for the lack of syncing). This whole situation has gotten ridiculous. FIX YOUR PRODUCT ALREADY.

If I use my Surface when traveling, I just stream from my server. Normally, I use my phone which has synced content in case my cell coverage is weak when on the road. I do not travel on business much anymore but do enjoy traveling for pleasure. Sync is a great feature and is one of the reasons I bought a Plex Pass. The other is Plex Mix so I no longer need iTunes (although Genius is superior to Plex Mix).

• HarvesterOfEyesHarvesterOfEyes Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since Plex doesn't bother to answer or acknowledge posts here and is incapable of fixing the bugs in this app that have been known for MANY MONTHS, the answer is obviously YES, this app has been abandoned.

• mike4001mike4001 Posts: 556Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So, last real update was end of March.

What´s happening ???

@mike4001 said:
    So, last real update was end of March.

What´s happening ???

I'm about ready to give up. Even if there is an update, unless it address about 20 bugs, it isn't worth it.

I get update notices about every 2 or 3 weeks. And I am not noticing any bugs. But I only use it for music and pictures.