If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex docker won't update to latest plex pass version

utnesutnes Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,
I'm running the latest Plex docker on unRaid (the official Plex-repo).

It's been updating correctly for a good while now, but it does not want to update from 1.5.6 to 1.7.1. The server settings is set to retrieve Plex Pass versions and the docker version setting is "latest". Earlier I just restarted the docker and it installed the new update.

Looking at the docker log, it does not seem that an update is triggered:

[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 40-plex-first-run: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-plex-first-run: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
Starting Plex Media Server.

Anyone else have this experience or know what I might do to fix this? Is a manual upgrade my only option? My google-fu has not found anything that helped so far..

Best Answer

Answers

• lucas200400lucas200400 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex hasn't updated the Docker images past 1.5.6.3790. Why is beyond me but until the do I don't know of a way to update past that and haven't researched it yet if there is a way to bypass the lack of updates.

• charlie2alphacharlie2alpha Posts: 143Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How much more dumbed down you guys want it? The images are only for the public version. 1.6 and 1.7 are Plex Pass only and you can only get those with the special Plex Pass tag only.

• sd1973sd1973 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

is the key VERSION or TAG?

In my docker config I currently have VERSION set to plexpass, and it won't upgrade beyond 1.5.6

• charlie2alphacharlie2alpha Posts: 143Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's a tag, did you read the readme of the official image? Read it here https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/ and scroll down to the "Tags" section.

• pantherg21pantherg21 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In my case the tag is set to plexpass. Even when using a new claim token it isn't updating to the new version.

And this is the command that's being used:
    /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="PlexMediaServer" --net="host" -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PLEX_CLAIM"="Insert Token from https://plex.tv/claim" -e "PLEX_UID"="99" -e "PLEX_GID"="100" -e "VERSION"="plexpass" -v "/mnt/user/appdata/plex/plexmediaserver/transcode":"/transcode":rw -v "/mnt/user/":"/data":rw -v "/mnt/user/":"/media":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/plex/plexmediaserver/":"/config":rw plexinc/pms-docker
    2a40ebd80324de4b74fcd03eb77e684b92e679a99b1c85242769aa43a2e8a074

• sd1973sd1973 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OK. You say tag as if people know what that means, and for me, I didn't... in other dockers I have seen people pass a variable, such as VERSION to latest, or others... I have figured out that I just needed to put the tag at the end of the repo name. Sorry for the spam.

• gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 605Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I don't know where people are getting this VERSION instructions for, but you are doing it wrong. You need to use the image which is tagged as plexpass. The instructions linked 3 posts up specify exactly which tags are available. If your particular docker implementation does not have such a mechanism to specify an image tag, then go complain to the makers of it to get this fixed. Without this, their docker implementation is incomplete.

• lucas200400lucas200400 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sd1973 thanks for stating it that way. Everyone else assuming everyone here is a Docker master and immediately understood the difference between a variable and a tag, isn't always the case. Just because it's "coding" doesn't mean we're all programmers or have all the experience needed to know the immediate difference between the 2 without examples or putting it in layman's terms; and getting so upset with people before making sure we understand the differences is just rude.

Thanks again, that helped me out a lot and I'm certain others too who are newer to Docker and its subtleties.

• punkboxpunkbox Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 7

It took me a minute to figure out what's going on but here's how to do it step by step (provided you have run the plex media server docker at least once & have used the token or signed in to your plex pass account AND USING UNRAID)
    1. Go to your unraid server (default: http://tower/) put in your username/password as needed
    2. Go to the "Docker" tab
    3. Click on the checkbox under Log next to your Plex container. Make sure you can see if changes are happening.
    4. Click the Plex container name (default: PlexMediaServer) NAME NOT ICON or icon then click edit if you want to be stubborn.
    5. Edit Repository (3rd one down - Name, Overview, Repository) to: plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass
    6. Click done, on the log window, an update should occur. If not, click on the Plex icon, click stop, click on icon again, click start and watch the log window and it should pull the plex pass version and update your container.
    7. ???
    8. Profit!

If this doesn't give you the latest (1.7.2.3878 as of this writing) then PMS dockers might not be for you/just enjoy the public version and be happy.

Hope this helps other new guys who are experimenting and learning new things! Keep exploring and experiencing the unknown!

EDIT: Keep Key 4 (Version) as it is (default: latest)

• Lappen71Lappen71 Posts: 154Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@punkbox said:
    It took me a minute to figure out what's going on but here's how to do it step by step (provided you have run the plex media server docker at least once & have used the token or signed in to your plex pass account AND USING UNRAID)
    1. Go to your unraid server (default: http://tower/) put in your username/password as needed
    2. Go to the "Docker" tab
    3. Click on the checkbox under Log next to your Plex container. Make sure you can see if changes are happening.
    4. Click the Plex container name (default: PlexMediaServer) NAME NOT ICON or icon then click edit if you want to be stubborn.
    5. Edit Repository (3rd one down - Name, Overview, Repository) to: plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass
    6. Click done, on the log window, an update should occur. If not, click on the Plex icon, click stop, click on icon again, click start and watch the log window and it should pull the plex pass version and update your container.
    7. ???
    8. Profit!

If this doesn't give you the latest (1.7.2.3878 as of this writing) then PMS dockers might not be for you/just enjoy the public version and be happy.

Hope this helps other new guys who are experimenting and learning new things! Keep exploring and experiencing the unknown!

EDIT: Keep Key 4 (Version) as it is (default: latest)

Thank you very very much :)

• tomorrowsmantomorrowsman Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@charlie2alpha said:
    How much more dumbed down you guys want it? The images are only for the public version. 1.6 and 1.7 are Plex Pass only and you can only get those with the special Plex Pass tag only.

Where do I put this tag? I now many of you are just inherently smart about this stuff, but some of us are just starting out. I got Plex installed in the docker on unRaid, but can't get it to update. Finding a step-by-step intro has proven futile; any help would be greatly appreciated indeed. Cheers!