If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Taking screenshots programatically?

Hey everyone,

I develop an app for Philips Hue lights called ScreenBloom which simply takes a screenshot, extracts color data from the pixels in the shot to produce an average, and updates Philips Hue lights with the color. Creates a simple but nice dynamic bias light effect.

I'm thinking about developing a Plex plugin for this functionality, but before I get too far down the rabbit hole I'd like to ask the fine experts here if you think such a thing is even possible with a Plex plugin? ScreenBloom is written in Python so most of the functionality should work just fine but I'm mostly curious about grabbing screenshots rapidly. Can I simply use PIL / ImageGrab?

Thanks for your helpful information!

Best Answer

Answers