Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Live TV on either Roku or TiVo?

Christopher715Christopher715 Posts: 5Members Plex Pass

I have a plex pass, but can't seem to access Live TV on my Roku or my TiVo.

Does PLEX have an actual technical support or do we just "learn as we go"?

Answers

• NinjaplatypusNinjaplatypus Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Currently, live tv is only available on Android TV and IOS per: https://plex.tv/blog/well-do-it-live/
    Looks like you must also be running at least PMS 1.7.2.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,635Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

Just to clarify, as the post and link provided by @Ninjaplatypus explains, support for LiveTV offered as part of the Plex Pass DVR & Live TV feature is only currently available for the Plex player app for Andriod and iOS. Also see the Plex Pass DVR and Live TV section of the forum.

But, you can access live online feeds that may be offered by a Plex channel from the Plex app for Roku, as long as the website accessed by that Plex channel provides its live feeds in HLS format, since that is the live format supported by the Roku. Also, see the Plex Channels section of the forum.

As far as support, most questions can be answered by reviewing or searching the Plex support documentation and Plex provides these forums for further questions and information.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• sidmarksidmark Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

When will livetv be available on the Roku App? Or, say, the Samsung TV app? Streaming on android has no value to me whatsoever.

I know it's "no currently available on Roku". When will it be available?

• gariland123gariland123 Posts: 142Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

plex does not give eta's

• dliving2010dliving2010 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is pretty upsetting, as I received an email from them saying that Live TV is 'live'. I went out and purchased a HDHomeRun because of it. I don't have a phone hooked up to my TVs, so this is useless to my household.

They really should have gotten this working for Roku first; as that is the standard for cord-cutters. After that, then they could have gotten it working for phone users. What a waste of my time and money.

• DFuryDFury Posts: 207Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

ljunkie has been unusually quiet the last 6 weeks or so. I can only assume this is because he's working hard on dev efforts. I'm confident that Roku Live TV is coming.

• bphilippusbphilippus Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I guess Roku is no longer the best Plex client available, ie. gets all the features first?

• DFuryDFury Posts: 207Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If that's your metric by which you measure the best Plex client...I don't think Roku has ever been the "best". Roku has never been at the leading-edge from my recollection over the past 5 years. It has, however, historically been one of the most stable and user-friendly. That's why I have stuck with it.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 5,946Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6

... and until very recently, for some reason, it's developer was more active in his community than any other branch of device development and that put it heads and shoulders above ALL the others.

It's the reason the Roku app is far and away the most stable and reliable of the Plex apps and has seen the furthest development - even with it's current and buggy Roku Firmware and we certainly can't blame that on Plex's Developer for the Roku. That goes right back to Roku. As it does so often.

I'd still rather battle Roku Engineering and all it's shortcomings. Even crippled, it's better than just about anything else as far as Plex is concerned. Until the latest Roku FW my Roku 3 was the gold standard in reliability, now compromised, but the good news is that RARflix is still working fine when the new Plex app for Roku is detonating on the hour spontaneously rebooting my box.

Roku is the ONLY box that enjoys an app designed privately with so much attention to details and customization possibilities that it's still a viable contender - even after Plex hired it's developer and put him in charge in the Roku Wing at Plex HQ (there was one of the few good ideas Plex has had). RARflix support and development ceased at that point. Still working however and one can only imagine what wonders a RARflix 2017 could provide. One can dream I suppose.

Hopefully, this Roku FW debacle is a temporary thing. I would really hate it if we one day talk about the Roku 3 being the last of the great Rokus before Roku killed it with a FW upgrade. That would be unfortunate.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• SB_CLAMSSB_CLAMS Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The advertisement for PLEX DVR states "you can now watch and record your favorite free HDTV digital broadcast channels, including local news and sports, on any device, anywhere in the world." but so far i only seem to have the capability to watch live OTA channels on my PC. Can someone tell me how to watch live OTA broadcast on my Android Phone or my Roku devices?

• nagle3092nagle3092 Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@SB_CLAMS said:
    The advertisement for PLEX DVR states "you can now watch and record your favorite free HDTV digital broadcast channels, including local news and sports, on any device, anywhere in the world." but so far i only seem to have the capability to watch live OTA channels on my PC. Can someone tell me how to watch live OTA broadcast on my Android Phone or my Roku devices?

I've had better luck with the HDHRviewer channel on my Roku Ultra and phone remotely than the Mi Box I picked up today to try the native live TV function.

• dladrach48dladrach48 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dliving2010 said:
    This is pretty upsetting, as I received an email from them saying that Live TV is 'live'. I went out and purchased a HDHomeRun because of it. I don't have a phone hooked up to my TVs, so this is useless to my household.

They really should have gotten this working for Roku first; as that is the standard for cord-cutters. After that, then they could have gotten it working for phone users. What a waste of my time and money.

You can load the HD Grand Slam Channel to Plex. What i use with my HDHomerun Extend. Once it becomes available to live tv function natively in plex for roku i will just transition to that.

• nodarsej1961nodarsej1961 Posts: 1Members

Yes, I agree...a lot of bait in the water.

Can someone clarify for me some other points.
    1 - Do you need Plex Pass to just watch live TV (assuming you have a tunner like HDHomeRun connected)?
    2 - Can I record a show using HDHomeRun (not Plex), add the show to Plex media server, then using the Flex Channel on my Roku watch the recorded show?
    3 - Can I watch the recorded show on the Plex App on my Samsung or other devices?

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,635Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

@nodarsej1961 said:
    Yes, I agree...a lot of bait in the water.

Can someone clarify for me some other points.
    1 - Do you need Plex Pass to just watch live TV (assuming you have a tunner like HDHomeRun connected)?
    2 - Can I record a show using HDHomeRun (not Plex), add the show to Plex media server, then using the Flex Channel on my Roku watch the recorded show?
    3 - Can I watch the recorded show on the Plex App on my Samsung or other devices?

DVR and Live TV (Beta) is a Plex Pass feature and requires a Plex Pass membership.

There may also be unsupported Plex channel plugin, like the HDHRviewer channel mentioned by a previous poster, that provide access to DVR content. All Plex channel plugins are created by a community of volunteer developers and often these developers chose to share their plugin bundles with others (See Finding Plex Channels). The use of Plex channel plugins does not require a Plex Pass membership.

Questions about the specific options and functionality of any unsupported Plex channel plugin, including those that provide access to DVR content, would need to be answered using the support options provided by the developer of that specific unsupported channel. Often the unsupported channel plugin developer will create a support thread in the Channel Plugin section of the forum, but you may need to refer to the Github repository or website offering the plugin to find any support options the developer has chosen to offer.

Also see How do I get support for unsupported channels? and the SUPPORT: Find my Plug-In here for support ********* READ ME FIRST ********* thread pinned to the top of the Channel Plugins section of the forum for a list of known support topics

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First

• sullivan.evan@gmail.comsullivan.evan@gmail.com Posts: 117Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just bought a tuner and was very disappointed to see that Roku doesn't have live TV yet. Seems like there should have been more clients available before launch. I could see when it was in beta, but going live only supporting like 3 clients?

• Ramx2Ramx2 Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Guys you can install HD Homerun Viewer channel plugin into plex so you could watch on any device you like ( https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/101755/rel-hdhomerun-viewer/p1 )

I was able to watch live tv on my ATV4, Roku,android devices, and kodi.... What ever platform with plex support app is able to deliver the LIVE TV through HDHomerunViewer plugin.

But still it's gr8 that APTV is not supported.

@sullivan.evan@gmail.com said:
    Just bought a tuner and was very disappointed to see that Roku doesn't have live TV yet. Seems like there should have been more clients available before launch. I could see when it was in beta, but going live only supporting like 3 clients?

They just added LiveTV at the end of May or first of June, so even though the Plex Pass DVR feature has been around for awhile, the Live TV part of the Plex Pass DVR is still fairly new feature.

I think they plan to offer LiveTV support on other Plex player apps at some point the future, so there is consistency among all Plex player apps. But they chose to release LiveTV support for iOS and Andriod first because those are mobile devices. So having access to Live TV on those devices means you can still watch you live TV when you are away from your TV. You should already have access to any live TV feed you have on your TV.

See Log Files

• sullivan.evan@gmail.comsullivan.evan@gmail.com Posts: 117Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Cant use the Homerun Viewer if you don't have a home run, I tried

I can't even watch live TV. I tried my Android phone. All I can do is record

• Boehmer82Boehmer82 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

@gariland123 said:
    plex does not give eta's

ugh, so no indication? I'd like to know whether I should wait for live TV/DVR to come to roku, or spend $200 on a Shield. I really don't want to, but if it'll take year+ to get it to the roku I might..