If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Setup Wizard Not Launching After Installing Application

xsstudioxsstudio Posts: 128Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I recently installed the Plex App onto my AS304T (secondary remote sever) and the Plex setup wizard will not launch after launching the APP from Asustor dashboard. Instead, the web interface launches and shows my existing server and servers i have access to, but my NAS is not listed in the server list (due it not being setup).

My primary & secondary server are in two different cities on two different networks using two different ISP, however when i manually navigate to setup URL for my NAS it takes me to the setup wizard for my primary server.

URL ----- http://[NAS-IP ]:32400/manage/index.html#!/setup

Additionally, if my NAS is not connected to the internet the web interface does not launch. Instead im greeted with error page stating my connection was refuse even though im using the local IP for my NAS

Below , is the only error i was able to locate in the PMS logs

Jun 01, 2017 22:00:25.878 [0xafbfdb40] ERROR - Error issuing curl_easy_perform(handle): 7
Jun 01, 2017 22:00:25.878 [0xafbfdb40] WARN - HTTP error requesting POST http://127.0.0.1:32600/devices/discover (0, No error) (Failed connect to 127.0.0.1:32600; Connection refused)
Jun 01, 2017 22:00:25.879 [0xafbfdb40] ERROR - Error parsing content.
Jun 01, 2017 22:00:25.880 [0xafbfdb40] ERROR - Error parsing XML.
Jun 01, 2017 22:00:33.945 [0xadbfdb40] DEBUG - Reading 486 bytes in the body, code is 200
Jun 01, 2017 22:00:33.946 [0xadbfdb40] DEBUG - [com.plexapp.system] Plug-in running on port 37229.
Jun 01, 2017 22:00:33.947 [0xadbfdb40] DEBUG - * Plug-in handles prefix: /system
Jun 01, 2017 22:00:33.947 [0xadbfdb40] DEBUG - * Plug-in handles prefix: /player
Jun 01, 2017 22:00:33.947 [0xadbfdb40] DEBUG - Read configuration for [com.plexapp.system], had 2 prefixes

Best Answer

• xsstudioxsstudio Posts: 128Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

My subnet is fine

DHCP Server

ASUS 304T

I decided to reconfigure my network to be 192.168.5.1/32 and rebooted my NAS. The setup wizard is launching now without issue.

So PMS believed 172.168.1.1/32 is not valid local range.

Answers

• MikeG6.5MikeG6.5 Posts: 2,431Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I spent the better part of two hours working with another user trying to resolve his issues. the only way we were able to make any headway at all was to turn off the other machines running PMS on his local network.

Now, not saying that this is the same problem, but it's a good starting point.

@MikeG6.5 said:
    I spent the better part of two hours working with another user trying to resolve his issues. the only way we were able to make any headway at all was to turn off the other machines running PMS on his local network.

Now, not saying that this is the same problem, but it's a good starting point.

Tried it, didn't work. Setup Wizard is not launching on Asustor. I installed the plex APP from App Central (which is outdated) and from Plex (downloaded APK) but no change.

You have to select the server in the top left of your browser window, to ensure you are working with the correct server. Especially if you have two or more servers set up on the same account.

At this point, I would remove Plex from the NAS completely, in App Central. Shut down the other PMS machine. Then reinstall PMS on the NAS from App Central (or a download.) You want to ensure you have a good complete install, and the only real way of doing so is removing it and reinstalling it. You also want to ensure you aren't somehow futzing with another box by mistake.

When the install is finished, click on the icon in the ADM, which should open another browser window aimed at your NAS IP:32400. Then you should be able to configure the NAS version. Name it something that makes absolutely NO DOUBT which server you are on. (Do the same with the other PMS when you bring it back on line.)

Let me know how this goes for you.

@MikeG6.5 said:
    You have to select the server in the top left of your browser window, to ensure you are working with the correct server. Especially if you have two or more servers set up on the same account.

At this point, I would remove Plex from the NAS completely, in App Central. Shut down the other PMS machine. Then reinstall PMS on the NAS from App Central (or a download.) You want to ensure you have a good complete install, and the only real way of doing so is removing it and reinstalling it. You also want to ensure you aren't somehow futzing with another box by mistake.

When the install is finished, click on the icon in the ADM, which should open another browser window aimed at your NAS IP:32400. Then you should be able to configure the NAS version. Name it something that makes absolutely NO DOUBT which server you are on. (Do the same with the other PMS when you bring it back on line.)

Let me know how this goes for you.

Clean install doesn't resolve the issue. My NAS doesn't show up in server list after powering off my existing server. It's as if Plex media server is not installed on my NAS instead I'm running a Plex Media client to connect to existing servers.

Emailed Plex - however their support email account is not monitored. Great !

I'm currently trying to setup plex on my ASUSTOR AS-304T running firmware 2.7.3.RHQ3

The issue im currently running into is that the setup wizard is not launching after installing the Plex App from Asustor APPCENTRAL nor the 32BIT version from PLEX.TV. Even though the PMS service is running.

I can launch the APP from my ASUSTOR desktop, sign into the Plex Web Client, however the setup wizard to configure my new device never launches. Additionally my NAS is not listed in the web clients server list. I only have access to my primary remote server which is in a remote location in another city and servers that were shared with me.

I've done re-installs of plex App from Appcentral and Plex.tv, reset my NAS but the issue persists. I've tried calling the setup wizard manually, however the web client re-directs me to the configuration of my remote server which again is on a separate network in a remote location 70 miles away

I'm honestly at a loss at what your issues are... I've never had a problem like yours, as long as I isolate the new from any existing servers. The way the Web App is working now seems different, with this Discovery stuff. Seems harder to set up servers than it used to be.

@MikeG6.5 said:
    I'm honestly at a loss at what your issues are... I've never had a problem like yours, as long as I isolate the new from any existing servers. The way the Web App is working now seems different, with this Discovery stuff. Seems harder to set up servers than it used to be.

No problem, thanks for your help. I was hoping to get in touch with someone from plex for them to tell me whats going but i guess the forums aren't monitored.

They are and they aren't. Ninja's monitor the forums, and from time to time will flag a problem post for a developer or someone else on the Team to check out.

The problem here is that there really isn't a dedicated Asustor developer. PMS is a port from other NAS platforms, and you may or may not see anyone commenting directly from the Team. As I'm not a Ninja (and doubt that I would ever be asked to be...) I can't flag this for further help.

All I CAN do is offer some insight from the 3+ years of running PMS on the platform, across 3 different models.

So, let's try this a bit differently... If you have he ability to turn PMS off/on on your off-site server, try turning it off, and then try clicking on the icon on your ADM page for PMS. This SHOULD bring you straight to the Wizard, as it defaults to the IP of your NAS:32400. (And not to the remote pages on the off-site server.)

Hopefully this can get you into the page to set up your NAS.

If it does, (or doesn't) then you can turn the 0ff-site back on. If you were able to set up the server, you should be good. If not, let us know and maybe we can get this flagged... I have a couple of Ninjas that might have some clues as to what's going on... :)

Already tried this and it didn't work. However, i tried again just now and the results are the same. This time i powered off my remote server instead of killing the Plex Server App.

I then installed the Plex App available from Asustor App Centrral (Version 1.5.*)
    Launch Web UI (172.168.1.21:32400) and my NAS is not listed (HOSTNAME for NAS is AS304T)

Additionally, if i disconnect my NAS from the internet, the web client becomes unavailable on NAS

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,134Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hey guys. @MikeG6.5 asked me to look at this. I don't have any experience with the Asustor devices but I'll give it a shot. First, please provide all the logs from PMS. Best is to zip/rar/tar the entire folder. Next please describe how everything is connected. Don't leave out any devices. I'm wondering if you are somehow on separate subnets (even if they have similar IP addresses).

@MikeG6.5 said:
    OK, asked for a bit of help. Hopefully we can get someone in to take a peek...

Thank you

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Hey guys. @MikeG6.5 asked me to look at this. I don't have any experience with the Asustor devices but I'll give it a shot. First, please provide all the logs from PMS. Best is to zip/rar/tar the entire folder. Next please describe how everything is connected. Don't leave out any devices. I'm wondering if you are somehow on separate subnets (even if they have similar IP addresses).

I've attached logs to this POST. Also below is a screenshot of my network layout.

CIDR = 172.168.1.1/32

Cable Modem goes into Synology router and is assigned PUBLIC IP address. Cable modem is not acting as router.
    Synology Router runs my DHCP server
    Static IP is assigned to NAS from Synology Router (172.168.1.21)
    Un-managed gigabit switch is connected to Synology Router.
    My PC, Printer, Nexus Player etc are connected to un managed switch

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,134Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I'm seeing this in your log.

Jun 04, 2017 20:06:11.504 [0xb03feb40] DEBUG - Request came in with unrecognized domain / IP '172.168.1.21' in header Host; treating as non-local

For some reason, PMS does not think your NAS and the computer that is calling it are on the same network. Since this is a new install on your NAS, it needs to be claimed, but you can't claim a server unless you're on the same network. Double check your subnet mask and make sure that are using the same values.

Accepted Answer

My subnet is fine

DHCP Server

ASUS 304T

I decided to reconfigure my network to be 192.168.5.1/32 and rebooted my NAS. The setup wizard is launching now without issue.

So PMS believed 172.168.1.1/32 is not valid local range.

@MovieFan.Plex said:

Jun 04, 2017 20:06:11.504 [0xb03feb40] DEBUG - Request came in with unrecognized domain / IP '172.168.1.21' in header Host; treating as non-local

For some reason, PMS does not think your NAS and the computer that is calling it are on the same network. Since this is a new install on your NAS, it needs to be claimed, but you can't claim a server unless you're on the same network. Double check your subnet mask and make sure that are using the same values.

Based on this, you say you have a static IP set for the NAS. Is this set on the router or on the NAS itself? (You said assigned at the router, but some times people do it on the NAS and assume the router is doing the leg work. It's not, and at times the router can assign a different device that IP if the subnet mask isn't spot on.) You a always better off setting statics on the router, so the subnet mask from the router gets passed on as part of the DHCP handshake. Best to double-check that the static is set on the router and points to the NASes MAC. (Not sure how you do this with that make/model of router, but on Asus hardware you can edit the specifics, (including static or DHCP) of a client in the first screen, or designate statics in the DHCP pages...)

Another thought I just had, too... The unmanaged switch in the middle might be confusing things, somehow. Are you sure that this switch isn't somehow assigning an IP to devices connected to it? Is it a truly dumb switch, in other words? One thing to try, if you have cable for it... Move the PC's Ethernet connection to the router's built in switch and see if that makes the wizard pop up? If that's the case, then the switch is causing issues, somehow.

I didn't know claiming a server required local access, but should have guessed it. This could explain a lot of the issues the OP and one other guy were having. Never too young to learn a new thing, I guess. I guess I thought as long as you had the IP and ports correct, the pages should just come up. This is new, at least since the last server I set up....

@MovieFan.Plex thanks for taking a look here. Know we don't ALWAYS agree, but nice to know when someone needs a hand you don't hold grudges... :)

@MikeG6.5 said:
    I didn't know claiming a server required local access, but should have guessed it. This could explain a lot of the issues the OP and one other guy were having. Never too young to learn a new thing, I guess. I guess I thought as long as you had the IP and ports correct, the pages should just come up. This is new, at least since the last server I set up....

It was intentionally made this way as a sort of security. We don't want people claiming servers by randomly trying IP addresses.

@MovieFan.Plex thanks for taking a look here. Know we don't ALWAYS agree, but nice to know when someone needs a hand you don't hold grudges... :)

I do hold grudges. Just wait and see ..... >:) >:) >:) >:)

@MikeG6.5 said:

@MovieFan.Plex said:

Based on this, you say you have a static IP set for the NAS. Is this set on the router or on the NAS itself? (You said assigned at the router, but some times people do it on the NAS and assume the router is doing the leg work. It's not, and at times the router can assign a different device that IP if the subnet mask isn't spot on.) You a always better off setting statics on the router, so the subnet mask from the router gets passed on as part of the DHCP handshake. Best to double-check that the static is set on the router and points to the NASes MAC. (Not sure how you do this with that make/model of router, but on Asus hardware you can edit the specifics, (including static or DHCP) of a client in the first screen, or designate statics in the DHCP pages...)

Another thought I just had, too... The unmanaged switch in the middle might be confusing things, somehow. Are you sure that this switch isn't somehow assigning an IP to devices connected to it? Is it a truly dumb switch, in other words? One thing to try, if you have cable for it... Move the PC's Ethernet connection to the router's built in switch and see if that makes the wizard pop up? If that's the case, then the switch is causing issues, somehow.

The IP addressed was being assigned by the router. I had set a static IP reservation for my NAS, which it received from my DHCP server (172.168.1.21)

If my switch was assigning IP address's it would have conflicted with the DHCP server on my router and caused both devices to crash (switch and router) or de-activate the LAN port where both devices were trying to establish a connection. But to answer your question, it is a dumb switch.

PMS doesn't recognize 172.168.1.1-172.1681.254 as a local network IP range. As such the wizard never launched. I then changed my DHCP range to 192.168.5.1-192.168.1.254 and PMS saw that as a local range which allowed me to get into the wizard.

So in essence i had to reconfigure my network for plex to work. Thank both you guys for the help @MikeG6.5 @MovieFan.Plex

• HexaPathHexaPath Posts: 1Members

So... i had simmilar problem.

but not on NAS.

I had started install on Windows 10 to make server when computer is online.
    And I have done that instalation many times, but never have I seen it skip the Wizard.

I try to remove some file, I tried to uninstall and install, Well...
    I have no more ideas. It is not Network in my case, because I am testing on server itself. I am not using any external drives yet, and OS is fresh new.

What is the solution if anyone knows to tell, because i see only another clean install of OS as a winner at this point.

Maybe it is dualboot but i doubt it... But I will clear that out too.

@HexaPath said:
    So... i had simmilar problem.

You would be better off posting your issue in the correct forum. This forum is for Asustor and the different models of NASes that company makes.

Your issue appears to be on a Windows machine. So you probably should be posting on t hat forum. With your log files and any other pertinent info.