If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

No DTS/Atmos Audio on Intel NUC with 1.3 and 1.3.2 embedded (works with Windows 10 PMP)

avrignaudavrignaud Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As title says, can't seem to get audio working with Plex Embedded on a new Intel NUC 7I7BNH. Have tried all of the audio settings, moved off of auto detecting, but have no luck with anything except Dolby AC3 files. Just to make sure it's not the hardware, I've installed Windows 10 and PMP and everything works fine. Started with 1.3 with problems, moved to Windows 10, no problems, and just went back to PMP Embedded 1.3.2 — and audio is gone again.

Is this a known issue, or does anyone have anything they can suggest I try? Thank you!

Best Answers

Answers

• avrignaudavrignaud Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you very much - spent the morning reading through threads, and am a bit frustrated that this doesn't work. But at least I know I'm not insane. :)

• evanrichevanrich Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I think this is the same problem I'm having, NUC7i3BNK, ac3 works great, but anything like MA or TrueHD fails to output sound (or sometimes i can hear just a littttttle bit through one speaker. I've also updated the HDMI firmware on the board to intel's latest 1.66, makes no difference.

• HTPC: Intel NUC7I3BNBK (Plex Media Player)
    • Firewall/Router: Ubiquiti USG
    • Core Switch: US-48-500W POE
    • AP: Ubiquiti AP-AC-PRO + IW-AP-AC
    • NAS: Supermicro X11-SSL-F / Intel E3-1230v5 / 32GB DDR4 / SC826 12-bay Chassis/12x 4TB WD red RAID-Z2 / Intel 120GB DC-S3500 ZIL / Avago 9211-8i HBA / Intel X520 10GbE / FreeNAS 9.10
  • AchillesAchilles Posts: 1,912Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@evanrich said:
    I think this is the same problem I'm having, NUC7i3BNK, ac3 works great, but anything like MA or TrueHD fails to output sound (or sometimes i can hear just a littttttle bit through one speaker. I've also updated the HDMI firmware on the board to intel's latest 1.66, makes no difference.

Windows or Embedded?

@Ach!lles said:

@evanrich said:

Windows or Embedded?

Embedded. Reading through the link you posted, it seems the kaby lake nuc's have major issues (at least embedded)... this sucks AC3 audio is ok but i'd really like HD audio (and I've tried both bitstreaming and letting pmp convert it..neither works)

• NAS: Supermicro X11-SSL-F / Intel E3-1230v5 / 32GB DDR4 / SC826 12-bay Chassis/12x 4TB WD red RAID-Z2 / Intel 120GB DC-S3500 ZIL / Avago 9211-8i HBA / Intel X520 10GbE / FreeNAS 9.10
    edited June 3

@evanrich said:

@Ach!lles said:

@evanrich said:

Windows or Embedded?

Embedded. Reading through the link you posted, it seems the kaby lake nuc's have major issues (at least embedded)... this sucks AC3 audio is ok but i'd really like HD audio (and I've tried both bitstreaming and letting pmp convert it..neither works)

Yes, with your NUC7i3BNK because of the LSPCon chip--HD audio bit streaming will not work until Intel updates the DRM-TIP Linux kernel drivers. Progress is being made by an LE developer.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98797

@Ach!lles said:

@evanrich said:

@Ach!lles said:

@evanrich said:

Windows or Embedded?

Yes, with your NUC7i3BNK because of the LSPCon chip, HD audio bit streaming will not work until Intel updates the DRM-TIP Linux kernel drivers. Progress is being made by an LE developer.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98797

Thanks! reading your comments in the thread it seems the DP<->HDMI adapters are buggy as well, I was thinking of going that route short term. I'd have thought, based on the haswell NUC i had that there wouldn't be any issues with the new NUCs...guess that was a bad assumption. Going to follow the other thread to track progress. Thanks for the heads up!

The adapters won't help since the root issue is with the DP port support of HD audio bit streaming.

Hi all, two questions:

1. Ach!lles post about about the issue being with the DP port is a bit confusing to me, since I am having this issue with straight HDMI. I was thinking about trying the DP port adapter people suggested - I think what I am reading is that both HDMI and DP->HDMI adapter routes have this no audio problem?

2. Does anyone have a sense of how far off this is to being fixed? The bug listed above doesn't seem to have much activity, and I am regretting my NUC purchase. Wondering if I've bought a dud here.

Anybody know if there are any updates on this? Sort of sucks that Intel's latest NUCs don't work with DTS audio on embedded systems! :(

• wesmanwesman Posts: 612Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 8

Actually most are marked resolved and being tracked by 101583. I posted them because each have recent posts that give some light to the matter.

Awesome, thank you for the pointers!

edited August 11

Jani Nikula, a Linux Software Engineer at Intel Open Source Technology Center & Intel Graphics for Linux, has been connecting the dots. This issue may see Root Cause Analysis soon.

• wesmanwesman Posts: 612Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

one can only hope

Read the latest posts.