Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Unable to default to Original quality

prbassplayerprbassplayer Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

After a recent update, app changed how it handles it's "quality" defaults. It not longer has "original" now it has a broken switch that says if "video smaller than 20Mbps it will play at original quality" I select this for both "home" and "internet" and it always defaults something ridiculous like 20Mbps or 200Mbps. None of my media is larger than 10Mbps. It's getting really annoying. Attached android and server log.

As a side note to android app devs, you guys need to be slapped for messing with settings while playing video... dislike how intrusive it is now and more taps to do the same damn thing :neutral:

Tagged:

Answers

• aburhinoxaburhinox Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

I'm running into the same problem, I'm unable to select Original quality anymore in the android app. I've tried to pick it per video, but even that wont take. It starts transcoding even when I'm on the same LAN. My puny server cannot handle the transcoding so now I'm stuck with stuttering videos on my phone. I hope prbassplayer's logs are enough info, but I can dig mine up if needed.

• BrausmithBrausmith Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

Same here, the latest app update has broken my ability to play high quality videos without transcoding. It's getting quite annoying.
    When playing the video it simply will not play at original quality. Instead it always uses 200 or 20mbps and is transcoding which my server cannot handle.
    It used to play just fine without transcoding. This needs to be fixed.

• ycaballeroycaballero Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

I am also having the same issue. My files are not bigger than 8mbs, however the damn thing always wants to transcode to some weird 200mbps. Files that used to run on Direct Play are now transcoding. I don't know what setting to choose and I get the annoying "your server is not fast enough...." message that I never had before on Direct Play.

• indiandennisindiandennis Members Posts: 1

Same issue for me. If I choose to play original quality, the checkbox for it is checked on the app, but as soon as I return to playback and then open settings again, it shows this:

If I try selecting another quality setting, it shows up correctly, but choosing original quality always results in 20mbps or 200 mbps regardless of the actual video quality.

• pinglispinglis Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

same here
    tried downgrading the app but won't let me activate it without purchasing again

• FlixNowFlixNow Members, Plex Pass Posts: 44 Plex Pass

Plex can you please acknowledge and fix this issue? Makes your platform useless on Android.

• marcandre.isabelmarcandre.isabel Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Same problem here. Always default to 200 Mbps since last plex android update

Not only that, there doesn't seem to be any way to differentiate between mobile and wifi data.

Previously you were able to set different qualities depending on what network you were connected to.

Not any more!

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,446 Plex Employee

@prbassplayer said:
    After a recent update, app changed how it handles it's "quality" defaults. It not longer has "original" now it has a broken switch that says if "video smaller than 20Mbps it will play at original quality" I select this for both "home" and "internet" and it always defaults something ridiculous like 20Mbps or 200Mbps. None of my media is larger than 10Mbps. It's getting really annoying. Attached android and server log.

Not sure if you are still having issues. Looking at your log it shows you are playing back video that has EAC3 (aka Dolby Digital Plus), which the device doesn't support so it's transcoding the audio only. So at least for this example, the app is working as expected.

@aburhinox said:
    I'm running into the same problem, I'm unable to select Original quality anymore in the android app. I've tried to pick it per video, but even that wont take.

Original Quality is not just called Maximum Quality.

@ycaballero said:
    I am also having the same issue. My files are not bigger than 8mbs, however the damn thing always wants to transcode to some weird 200mbps. Files that used to run on Direct Play are now transcoding. I don't know what setting to choose and I get the annoying "your server is not fast enough...." message that I never had before on Direct Play.

Showing 200Mbps is a bug right now. It may not actually be transcoding. You'll need to provide more info and logs for us to look into this.

@pinglis said:
    same here
    tried downgrading the app but won't let me activate it without purchasing again

If you've purchased the app before, there should be an option at the bottom of the page where it asks you to activate the app to say that you've purchase the app before. You need to scroll down on the page so maybe you just missed it.

@FlixNow said:
    Not only that, there doesn't seem to be any way to differentiate between mobile and wifi data.

There is an option for "Limit Cellular Data".

• marcandre.isabelmarcandre.isabel Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Showing 200Mbps is a bug right now. It may not actually be transcoding. You'll need to provide more info and logs for us to look into this.

I wouldnt say that it is only a display bug on my side as when it switchs back to '200 Mbps', the stream gets extremely laggy and I have to manually go and set it back to original quality

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,446 Plex Employee

@marcandre.isabel said:

I wouldnt say that it is only a display bug on my side as when it switchs back to '200 Mbps', the stream gets extremely laggy and I have to manually go and set it back to original quality

There maybe other issues as well, but just seeing 200 does not mean there is a problem. Please provide your logs if you have a specific scenario we can look at.

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@marcandre.isabel said:

There maybe other issues as well, but just seeing 200 does not mean there is a problem. Please provide your logs if you have a specific scenario we can look at.

Moviefan.Plex, why is it next to impossible to direct play a file on Android now? No matter what option I select, on any file, it always transcodes, most of the time it transcodes to a random higher bitrate (ie. play a 4mbps file, but it gets Transcoded to 5.7mbps).

What options do we select to direct play a file on Android?

PMS does not upscale. If you are seeing that, something is definitely wrong. I can direct play files just fine, even HEVC 8-bit on my Samsung S6. If it is not working there is something definitely different going on. That's why I need logs.

I've seen a few reports of high bitrate files (>20 Mbps) not direct playing, which I am investigating. But anything below that should work.