If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"The transcoder crashed or failed to start up"

xiphosm3xiphosm3 Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having this issue with some of my movies. It never happens with tv shows but with only certain movies. It will play the show for a random period of time and then give the error.

The only other thread I found didn't have a good solution for me outside of uninstalling and reinstalling Plex and the libraries. I have far too much media to consider a complete refresh.

Comments

• xiphosm3xiphosm3 Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone have any ideas?

• RERLTunaRERLTuna Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not sure, but I'm having the same issue. Was fine up until about a month ago, now it seems every other thing I watch it'll get about a minute or two in and the transcoder error will come up. Doesn't matter if its to my Shield or my HTPC. I can't find any crash logs, and I can stream just fine via network drive. I've tried uninstalling the server and reinstalling it. Seems to work for a bit then it'll just pop up again a few plays in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• RiggsIsMoneyRiggsIsMoney Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone find a solution to this? Been searching all morning and looks like a very common problem since last November, but I have not found a thread with the solution.

• phillilphillil Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

anyone??

this really sucks. My kids can longer watch anything on their Android TV box without playback crashing out.

• Boozer101Boozer101 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

same issue for about a month/month n a half...

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: PlexTranscoder.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 6c505c73
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_04dc
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Offset: ffffffff
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Data: 00000008
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 04dc
    Additional Information 2: 04dce93ad15fd29c90c97673400c921d
    Additional Information 3: 3e95
    Additional Information 4: 3e956492373ea469aff8acce230b4a6e

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

those are the details inside of the error message. This happens now on all apps except for the windows 10 version

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,207Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@Boozer101 said:
    same issue for about a month/month n a half...

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: PlexTranscoder.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 6c505c73
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_04dc
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Offset: ffffffff
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Data: 00000008
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 04dc
    Additional Information 2: 04dce93ad15fd29c90c97673400c921d
    Additional Information 3: 3e95
    Additional Information 4: 3e956492373ea469aff8acce230b4a6e

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

those are the details inside of the error message. This happens now on all apps except for the windows 10 version

The heap corruption crashes (as above) are hopefully going to be fixed in the release after 1.7.6 - there was an ffmpeg issue and the version of ffmpeg has been updated and is expected in the release of Plex Media Server after 1.7.6

For other crashes - each has to be investigated with sample provided and logs. The issues are mostly specific to the media files being transcoded

See http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1478102/#Comment_1478102
    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1477428/#Comment_1477428

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• Boozer101Boozer101 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 17

@sa2000 Thanks for the response! I did notice that this is only happening with mainly .avi files. I will stress that I've been using Plex for a while and this issue is only new within the last month or so. Also if I use a regular media player to access the Plex server, the same .avi files that crash on the Plex apps will run with no issues. I looked at four different .avi files. 3 failed and 1 played. The only difference was the audio bit rate and channels. 448 bit rate and 6 channels on the failed and 192 bit rate with 2 channels on the file that worked

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,207Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@Boozer101 said:
    @sa2000 Thanks for the response! I did notice that this is only happening with mainly .avi files. I will stress that I've been using Plex for a while and this issue is only new within the last month or so. Also if I use a regular media player to access the Plex server, the same .avi files that crash on the Plex apps will run with no issues

It was caused by an ffmpeg patch that went into a Plex Media Server release. It will come out in the next release of Plex Media Server after 1.7.6 - it gave rise to heap corruption crashes when transcoding or analyzing some files.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Release 1.8.0 of Plex Media Server has just been released for Plex Pass. It has a fix for the memory / heap corruption in ffmpeg leading to scanner media analysis and transcoder crashes

See Release Notice http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1488006#Comment_1488006

• BigDanBigDan Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sa2000 would this cause trailers not to transcode on roku & opera players ??

@BigDan said:
    @sa2000 would this cause trailers not to transcode on roku & opera players ??

cannot really say. It would be a transcoder process that shutsdown after an exception