Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Video Playback Broken in iOS 11

Comments

• alwaysZeroHouralwaysZeroHour Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

Hoping they add support for x265 for plex which is coming to all iOS 11 devices.

• End UserEnd User Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Same for me. I’m running Plex under iOS 11 on a 2017 iPad Pro.

• ejdmeejdme Members, Plex Pass Posts: 22 Plex Pass

iOS 11 beta 2 is out. Same problems still.

• guy.cortesi@gmail.comguy.cortesi@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Yes, unfortunately iOS beta 2 does not fix the issues as ejdme noted.

• drdbdrdb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

I can also confirm this

• alex16516alex16516 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Oh man, I was starting to get excited, is this using the stable release or the beta app?

• LeongLeong Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

darn was excited to see beta 2 and hopefully was iOS issue. :(

@alex16516 said:
    Oh man, I was starting to get excited, is this using the stable release or the beta app?

Tried with both - no luck.

@Leong said:
    darn was excited to see beta 2 and hopefully was iOS issue. :(

Ya, I believe it's an issue with Apple pushing HEVC, since Direct Streamed videos still work fine.

• alex16516alex16516 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Hmm, I want to play with iOS 11 after getting a taste of it with beta 1, may put my server to work and convert everything to a file format that direct plays like mp4.

@alex16516 said:
    Hmm, I want to play with iOS 11 after getting a taste of it with beta 1, may put my server to work and convert everything to a file format that direct plays like mp4.

My setup uses Deluge with Sonarr/Radarr and I use sickbeard_mp4_automator to automatically convert & rename all downloaded shows/movies. Takes a ton of load off the server when playing back. It also has a manual option that you can pass a directory to, so you could easily convert all your media to direct-streamable.

• so1omonso1omon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

A strange workaround for this - once you start playing the video, while it is just hanging there, open the ... menu and open Playback Settings. You don’t have to change anything. Just close it out, and the video will play.

• wraith1385wraith1385 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

@so1omon said:
    A strange workaround for this - once you start playing the video, while it is just hanging there, open the ... menu and open Playback Settings. You don’t have to change anything. Just close it out, and the video will play.

Came here to say this. I thought it was a coincidence at first until I did it on 2 other files.

• the1jonthe1jon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

@so1omon said:

I tried this and while my file did start to playback, I only was able to hear the audio without any video, it was only showing the cover art.

• jeburneojeburneo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Tried the menu solution but only audio in some files, syncing does work so this is my solution for now.

• debilemaniacdebilemaniac Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Hi,

You can connect to your plex media server through Safari then playback works like a charm...

BR,
    Simon

• mikeyy@me.commikeyy@me.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Every damn time there's an iOS beta, Plex breaks. Every effing time. What the hell are the Plex devs doing with the API's that break every **** time. Gah.

Yes yes, beta, **** me I shouldn't have installed it. I get that. I just don't understand why EVERY beta does this with Plex.

• ndaversandaversa Members, Plex Pass Posts: 52 Plex Pass

confirmed broken on tvOS 11 public beta 1

• ndaversandaversa Members, Plex Pass Posts: 52 Plex Pass

strange thing it started playing after disconnecting an airplay connection (weird) going to try to reproduce again later

• DannyboyayyoDannyboyayyo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 27 Plex Pass

Just to confirm, Sync'd content works fine right?

• wsavonawsavona Members, Plex Pass Posts: 74 Plex Pass

@Dannyboyayyo said:
    Just to confirm, Sync'd content works fine right?

Indeed, it does