If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Video Playback Broken in iOS 11

Comments

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 609Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@scream88 said:
    So any ETA when a update should resolve this issue?

No ETA yet, sorry, since we're still unsure of whether it's Apple's fault or not.

One other issue there was with iOS 11 was that some transcoded videos didn't start automatically and you had to pause and play to make it work, and that one has been fixed already by them in beta 3, so we don't want to spend a lot of time fixing something that might not be our fault, just to revert that change later, sorry :(

• jfrankiller3jfrankiller3 Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sergiou87 said:

@scream88 said:

No ETA yet, sorry, since we're still unsure of whether it's Apple's fault or not.

One other issue there was with iOS 11 was that some transcoded videos didn't start automatically and you had to pause and play to make it work, and that one has been fixed already by them in beta 3, so we don't want to spend a lot of time fixing something that might not be our fault, just to revert that change later, sorry :(

FYI I think it's due to the new HEVC formating in iOS 11. No idea how you guys would code it, but assuming you need to make adjustments to the transcoder to take use of iOS 11's HEVC support. I noticed if you play youtube videos or any for that matter now in safari is also different.

• diligiantdiligiant Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sergiou87 said:

@scream88 said:

This is a kinda weird answer: if you noticed a regression, please file a radar. We filed against b1 and problems were addressed in b3. If you don't report, this won't be magically fixed, especially since other c/s "streaming" solutions work just fine with iOS11.

Apple shares the beta not for us to notice bugs but to report them. Incidentally, with public beta being installed by millions of normal users, you're angering them by what seems to be a "wait&see" ;) So far, hundreds of small ios11 bug fixes have triggered App Store updates.

[sorry if your email is not reflecting what's really going on @ plex]

• MDaams01MDaams01 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 20

I also can verify that when you remove this line:
    Setting name="HlsExtraMultiChannelAudioStream" value="ac3" /
    Plex seems to work again on iOS 11 beta devices.
    Go to Programs>Plex Media Server>Show Content>Resources>Profiles>iOS.xml
    and remove this line with, for instance, Xcode
    It will do until the official update, be it on the server side or on Apple's side.

• drdbdrdb Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sergiou87 said:

@scream88 said:

Maybe release a fix in beta for now at least? If it's an issue with iOS and it's fixed in the next iOS beta, just don't release your beta.

• jrcorwinjrcorwin Posts: 116Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sergiou87 said:

@scream88 said:

This leads me to believe you are not even testing iOS 11 and how it might impact Plex, but rather that you are waiting for the first release candidate to come out of beta. If so...that would be absolutely ridiculous. I expect issues and bugs during a beta period. I also expect the people behind Plex to be doing even basic testing for the upcoming major release of iOS 11 DURING the beta period when they can both report bugs and make their own adjustments to various changes that have taken place. Will Plex be able to take advantage of the new frame rate features? Will you even be testing it? I am not overly confident given the lack of communication that has become so common here. Disgruntled Plex Cloud and Apple TV users are being ignored, so why should iOS be any different...right?

@drdb said:

@sergiou87 said:

@scream88 said:

Maybe release a fix in beta for now at least? If it's an issue with iOS and it's fixed in the next iOS beta, just don't release your beta.

I honestly don’t think it’s an issue on Apple’s end. I believe Plex needs to adapt to iOS 11. DirecTV Now isn’t working on iOS 11 or tvOS 11 and Apple mentioned these issues in their release notes. They haven’t said a word about Plex. They seem to be asleep at the wheel.

• drdbdrdb Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jrcorwin said:

@drdb said:

@sergiou87 said:

@scream88 said:

I honestly don’t think it’s an issue on Apple’s end. I believe Plex needs to adapt to iOS 11. DirecTV Now isn’t working on iOS 11 or tvOS 11 and Apple mentioned these issues in their release notes. They haven’t said a word about Plex. They seem to be asleep at the wheel.

Exactly. This would have been fixed by now, since iOS 11 is already in the 3rd beta.

@drdb said:

@jrcorwin said:

@drdb said:

@sergiou87 said:

@scream88 said:

Exactly. This would have been fixed by now, since iOS 11 is already in the 3rd beta.

For me, it's not even about whether or not it is fixed YET. My concern is that it isn't even clear that they are looking at, but instead are just sitting on their hands.

They could be working very hard on this, the many issues with Plex Cloud and the various Apple TV issues...but they don't bother to communicate anymore. It's near complete radio silence these days. They no longer discuss issues with users or collaborate with them. It all leads to us just being left to come to our conclusions and form assumptions. It's not good for us and it's not good for them. I just wish they would recognize that.

• diligiantdiligiant Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jrcorwin said:

@drdb said:

@jrcorwin said:

@drdb said:

@sergiou87 said:

@scream88 said:

For me, it's not even about whether or not it is fixed YET. My concern is that it isn't even clear that they are looking at, but instead are just sitting on their hands.

They could be working very hard on this, the many issues with Plex Cloud and the various Apple TV issues...but they don't bother to communicate anymore. It's near complete radio silence these days. They no longer discuss issues with users or collaborate with them. It all leads to us just being left to come to our conclusions and form assumptions. It's not good for us and it's not good for them. I just wish they would recognize that.

The good news is that it's a widespread feeling so some competition should appear soon…

• deandmxdeandmx Posts: 75Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jrcorwin said:

@drdb said:

@jrcorwin said:

@drdb said:

@sergiou87 said:

@scream88 said:

I agree. It feels like they are stretched too thin. They are trying to have an app on every device possible and the mainstream support is being neglected.

• joelcardjoelcard Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Using Beta 4 released today and still having the same issue on an ipad pro 10.5.

• jfrankiller3jfrankiller3 Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

confirmed not working on iOS 11b4 still. Just giving a status update

• tcullumtcullum Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

.mp4 now streams but mkv does not.

• dkleindklein Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Installed beta 4 myself and after some testing this bug seems to only affect my MKV files with ac3 and dts audio. MP4 files with ac3 and aac audio play as expected. Also MKV files with aac audio play normally.

I also tested the iOS version of VLC which plays plex files over DLNA and all files play normally, so this appears to be distinct to the plex iOS app.

As a side note, have the manually settings for direct stream and direct play been removed from the iOS app? I couldn’t find them under the settings/advanced.

• Jukens CinemaJukens Cinema Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are there playback issues with the ATV4 as well?

• tabmortytabmorty Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Jukens Cinema said:

Yes

• Jukens CinemaJukens Cinema Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tabmorty said:

@Jukens Cinema said:

Yes

The fix for iOS is working, has anyone figured out the ATV4 profile fix?

• dkleindklein Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@MDaams01 said:
    It will do until the official update, be it on the server side or on Apple's side.

Removing the line from the profile does work under Beta 4 for iOS, as it forces audio to transcode down to 2 channel AAC. If you want to keep your audio content in 5.1, you need to remove that line and also edit the line under Transcode Targets to:

<VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3" context="streaming">

This will force ac3 and DTS audio in MKV containers to direct stream as AC3 audio. Works on my iPhone 6 in beta 4.

Full Profile:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Client name="iOS">
      <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
      <!-- This profile is used by A5 and higher devices (starting with iPhone 4S and iPad 3) -->
      <Settings>
        <Setting name="DirectPlayStreamSelection" value="true" />
        <Setting name="StreamUnselectedIncompatibleAudioStreams" value="true" />
      </Settings>
      <TranscodeTargets>
        <VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3" subtitleCodec="mov_text" context="static" />
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3" context="streaming">
        </VideoProfile>
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
        <SubtitleProfile protocol="hls" container="webvtt" subtitleCodec="webvtt"/>
      </TranscodeTargets>
      <DirectPlayProfiles>
        <VideoProfile container="mp4,mov" codec="h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac" subtitleCodec="mov_text,tx3g,ttxt,text" />
        <!-- Allow Direct Play of HLS content  -->
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac" />
      </DirectPlayProfiles>
      <CodecProfiles>
        <VideoCodec name="h264">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="8" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoAudioCodec name="aac">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoAudioCodec>
      </CodecProfiles>
    </Client>

• stridematstridemat Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dklein said:

@MDaams01 said:

Removing the line from the profile does work under Beta 4 for iOS, as it forces audio to transcode down to 2 channel AAC. If you want to keep your audio content in 5.1, you need to remove that line and also edit the line under Transcode Targets to:

This will force ac3 and DTS audio in MKV containers to direct stream as AC3 audio. Works on my iPhone 6 in beta 4.

Full Profile:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Client name="iOS">
      <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
      <!-- This profile is used by A5 and higher devices (starting with iPhone 4S and iPad 3) -->
      <Settings>
        <Setting name="DirectPlayStreamSelection" value="true" />
        <Setting name="StreamUnselectedIncompatibleAudioStreams" value="true" />
      </Settings>
      <TranscodeTargets>
        <VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3" subtitleCodec="mov_text" context="static" />
        </VideoProfile>
        <SubtitleProfile protocol="hls" container="webvtt" subtitleCodec="webvtt"/>
      </TranscodeTargets>
      <DirectPlayProfiles>
        <VideoProfile container="mp4,mov" codec="h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac" subtitleCodec="mov_text,tx3g,ttxt,text" />
        <!-- Allow Direct Play of HLS content  -->
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac" />
      </DirectPlayProfiles>
      <CodecProfiles>
        <VideoCodec name="h264">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="8" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>