If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Video Playback Broken in iOS 11

Comments

• MDaams01MDaams01 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Wow great! Thanks

• dkleindklein Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Today’s Plex iOS beta 4.16 fixes the iOS 11 playback issue without needing to modify the server profile.

• wsavonawsavona Posts: 75Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I signed up for the iOS Plex beta many months ago and no luck getting in... what's the trick? Is it just very limited in users because of the iTunes Connect limits on Devs?

• Macrox14Macrox14 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I hope they release this update soon, is annoying not able to use the app for almost a month

• petercockroachpetercockroach Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Where can I sign up for the iOS Beta? I work with a lot of TestFlight apps and I'm happy to write bug reports :)

• wsavonawsavona Posts: 75Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • bass_rockbass_rock Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can confirm the latest beta fixes it!!! Woo!

• tabmortytabmorty Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hope there is a fix for AppleTV4 too, soon...

Did sign up for Plex beta long long time ago but - guess the lists are full

• volcom45volcom45 Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've not been able to sync mkv files successfully to my iPad on these iOS11 betas. I've tried multiple times on multiple files and get the dreaded "This media was unable to be analyzed" yellow exclamation and there's nothing you can do but delete the synced file from server. I've tried rebooting server, downgrading server to older version, all fails. I can only assume from this thread that it's related to the same issues with mkv's streaming? I have synced content on my iPad that plays fine but it's getting new content to download after a sync that is failing for me now. I applied for the beta. Please approve some of us so we can test this fix mentioned by staff. Thanks.

• audiomixeraudiomixer Posts: 133Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 28

I too signed up for plex beta testing but I've gotten no approval yet. Bummer.

• Jey J.S.Jey J.S. Posts: 9Members ✭✭

I’ve found that the playback issue maybe came from the audio transcoding and not video, because all my mkv with AAC plays with no problem, but the ones with AC3 it can’t

Now I’m gonna try the beta app to see if it’s fixed

• WpcrumbleyWpcrumbley Posts: 422Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@MDaams01 said:
    I also can verify that when you remove this line:
    Setting name="HlsExtraMultiChannelAudioStream" value="ac3" /
    Plex seems to work again on iOS 11 beta devices.
    Go to Programs>Plex Media Server>Show Content>Resources>Profiles>iOS.xml
    and remove this line with, for instance, Xcode
    It will do until the official update, be it on the server side or on Apple's side.

This fixed my issue

• WpcrumbleyWpcrumbley Posts: 422Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 29

@Wpcrumbley said:

@MDaams01 said:
    I also can verify that when you remove this line:
    Setting name="HlsExtraMultiChannelAudioStream" value="ac3" /
    Plex seems to work again on iOS 11 beta devices.
    Go to Programs>Plex Media Server>Show Content>Resources>Profiles>iOS.xml
    and remove this line with, for instance, Xcode
    It will do until the official update, be it on the server side or on Apple's side.

This fixed my issue

well maybe not. before nothing would play only audio. but now some stuff will play I had to restart plex and that fixed it

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 528Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

It seems it was a server issue with transcoding that we never noticed because Apple's video player was tolerant with it… until now on iOS 11 :'(

We'll also deploy a workaround so that the app can be used with versions of Plex Media Server that don't have the fix.

Thanks for your patience!

@sergiou87 said:
    It seems it was a server issue with transcoding that we never noticed because Apple's video player was tolerant with it… until now on iOS 11 :'(

We'll also deploy a workaround so that the app can be used with versions of Plex Media Server that don't have the fix.

Thanks for your patience!

I saw there was a new Plex Media Server released last night.. does this come with the fix you mention?

• voyager47voyager47 Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have just updated to PMS version 1.8.0.4109 and there appears to be no difference.

Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks.

• drdbdrdb Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@voyager47 said:
    I have just updated to PMS version 1.8.0.4109 and there appears to be no difference.

Thanks.

The latest iOS Plex Beta app fixes it.

@drdb said:

@voyager47 said:

Thanks.

The latest iOS Plex Beta app fixes it.

Which works out nice for the small handful they've actually approved beta requests for.. sigh

• john_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edujohn_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edu Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As of today, the TestFlight per app tester limit has been increased from 2,000 users to 10,000 users. So if they so desire, they should be able to invite another 8,000 of us to test the iOS betas.

• drdbdrdb Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 1

@john_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edu said:
    As of today, the TestFlight per app tester limit has been increased from 2,000 users to 10,000 users. So if they so desire, they should be able to invite another 8,000 of us to test the iOS betas.

Plex doesn't actually use TestFlight for their betas. They use a service called Buddybuild which allows for unlimited testers.