Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Video Playback Broken in iOS 11

Comments

• john_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edujohn_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edu Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

@drdb said:

@john_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edu said:
    As of today, the TestFlight per app tester limit has been increased from 2,000 users to 10,000 users. So if they so desire, they should be able to invite another 8,000 of us to test the iOS betas.

Plex doesn't actually use TestFlight for their betas. They use a service called Buddybuild which allows for unlimited testers.

Thanks. That just makes it worse. Before I thought they had a legitimate excuse.

• volcom45volcom45 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 90 Plex Pass

All those of us who purchased a Plex Pass subscription should automatically get beta access in my opinion. But then again when I signed up for Plex Cloud, I think I waited 3-4 months before they approved me which was absolutely pathetic.

• dkleindklein Members, Plex Pass Posts: 48 Plex Pass

Just a quick reminder, for those of you who do not have Plex Beta access but are running the iOS 11 Beta, editing the iOS Profile on your server with the one below does correct the issue and will allow playback.

@dklein said:

Full Profile:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Client name="iOS">
      <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
      <!-- This profile is used by A5 and higher devices (starting with iPhone 4S and iPad 3) -->
      <Settings>
        <Setting name="DirectPlayStreamSelection" value="true" />
        <Setting name="StreamUnselectedIncompatibleAudioStreams" value="true" />
      </Settings>
      <TranscodeTargets>
        <VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3" subtitleCodec="mov_text" context="static" />
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3" context="streaming">
        </VideoProfile>
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
        <SubtitleProfile protocol="hls" container="webvtt" subtitleCodec="webvtt"/>
      </TranscodeTargets>
      <DirectPlayProfiles>
        <VideoProfile container="mp4,mov" codec="h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac" subtitleCodec="mov_text,tx3g,ttxt,text" />
        <!-- Allow Direct Play of HLS content  -->
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
      </DirectPlayProfiles>
      <CodecProfiles>
        <VideoCodec name="h264">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="8" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoAudioCodec name="aac">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoAudioCodec>
      </CodecProfiles>
    </Client>

• tabmortytabmorty Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

And it preserves 5.1? Or downgrade to 2 chan?

@tabmorty said:

Yes it should preserve 5.1.

edited August 1

@dklein said:

@tabmorty said:

I made the change and rebooted. Attempting to sync an mkv to my iPad again now, in hopes that it'll no longer end up with the yellow unable to analyze media error. So far, I notice it is encoding much faster than it was before the change which is on par with how it used to, so I'm hopeful! Thanks for the reminder.

Update: This change solved my syncing issues with mkv files in iOS 11! Thank you!!

• bigxetruckbigxetruck Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

Where would I find this iOS profile to edit? Thanks.

• bigxetruckbigxetruck Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

@bigxetruck said:
    Where would I find this iOS profile to edit? Thanks.

Found it and fixed the issue! Thanks much!!!!

• tabmortytabmorty Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

Thanks...

But now I see that ATV4 use a different file .. different content ...

Strange though, replacing the iOS.xml content with what you provided, the only difference is that now things are constant buffering, - no audio... changing back to original iOS.xml file - and playback is smooth - no audio

in tvOS.xml it say that is the file for AppleTV4 ...

It can seem as if both iOS.xml And tvOS.xml file is in use for AppleTV4 ....

any suggestion?

• richplattrichplatt Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I've been trying to troubleshoot this all day and only just started reading this thread.
    Server version 1.7.5.4035

iOS devices could not sync, so started playing around (iPhone and iPad). But now it can not connect. I'm not sure if I've broken it further or just the current issues.

Uninstalled apps, removed from devices on server.
    Re-installed app and logged in and now nothing. Can't connect...

Please tell me an app update is coming? I have flights from UK to Australia and back next week. It's like 48 hours of travelling!

@richplatt said:
    I've been trying to troubleshoot this all day and only just started reading this thread.

iOS devices could not sync, so started playing around (iPhone and iPad). But now it can not connect. I'm not sure if I've broken it further or just the current issues.

Please tell me an app update is coming? I have flights from UK to Australia and back next week. It's like 48 hours of travelling!

I'd hate to say it, but if this is your do or die iOS device, I would downgrade back to iOS 10, especially if traveling internationally where who knows what bugs may crop up with cell network changes etc.

• richplattrichplatt Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass
    edited August 1

@richplatt said:

I've updated to my server to Version 1.8.0.4109 with my PlexPass download. Didn't realize it wouldn't auto update.
    I'm on iOS 10.3.3, not on the iOS11 Beta.
    Sooo I'm guess I'm in the wrong thread!

Hi Rich,

Please start a new thread as this particular one relates to playback/sync bugs in the iOS 11 Beta.

Thank you

@richplatt said:

@richplatt said:

I've updated to my server to Version 1.8.0.4109 with my PlexPass download. Didn't realize it wouldn't auto update.
    I'm on iOS 10.3.3, not on the iOS11 Beta.

• tomasblomberg@telia.comtomasblomberg@telia.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

Hi, tried to update the iOS.xml profile to fix problem, but no luck. Server on macOS, any thoughts?

@tomasblomberg@telia.com said:
    Hi, tried to update the iOS.xml profile to fix problem, but no luck. Server on macOS, any thoughts?

You have to reboot the Plex Server after updating the profile before it'll take effect. You did that?

• tomasblomberg@telia.comtomasblomberg@telia.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I restarted the server app, do I need the restart the hardware as well?

• marshalleqmarshalleq Members, Plex Pass Posts: 205 Plex Pass

So if I don't have the 'Resources/Profiles' directory I should just create it? Am running official Ubuntu version of Plex Server.

Passionate about people, tech, photography, music, customer service, fitness and dabble at least a little in each ;)

via Twitter
    Marshalleq
    Tech-KnowHow

Website
    https://www.tech-knowhow.com

• eX&TriCeX&TriC Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

Confirmed working on a synology DS916+ using putty and vi command to make the changes

• and992and992 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

XML change work on plex pass version on windows server 2016. TY

• marshalleqmarshalleq Members, Plex Pass Posts: 205 Plex Pass

For some reason I cannot find the resources directory. Creating it manually didn’t work, probably cause it[s not meant to be there. Anyone on Linux can tell me where this is?

Thanks.

Passionate about people, tech, photography, music, customer service, fitness and dabble at least a little in each ;)

via Twitter
    Marshalleq
    Tech-KnowHow

Website
    https://www.tech-knowhow.com