If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Video Playback Broken in iOS 11

Comments

• marshalleqmarshalleq Posts: 209Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

Found it thanks to @Edc

Passionate about people, tech, photography, music, customer service, fitness and dabble at least a little in each ;)

via Twitter
    Marshalleq
    Tech-KnowHow

Website
    https://www.tech-knowhow.com

Confirmed works on iPad Pro 13inch. Also note that PVR function is able to work again, which was broken by this bug. This is amazing, I have missed PMP on iOS!

Passionate about people, tech, photography, music, customer service, fitness and dabble at least a little in each ;)

via Twitter
    Marshalleq
    Tech-KnowHow

Website

• jereswinnenjereswinnen Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Can someone help me locate this folder where I can edit the iOS Profile? Running iOS 11 on both my iPhone and iPad and am unable to play back video files.

I'm running Plex Media Server on a Synology DS214play NAS.

Thanks!

• stevekdavisstevekdavis Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm running PMS on an Nvidia Shield. Am I out of luck with the workaround as I cannot access the file system. I've also applied to join the beta and got 0 response (nice way to treat lifetime members!)

• SebNYDSebNYD Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The new iOS version (4.16) seems to be addressing the issue :
    "Fixed playback on iOS 11 (Requires PMS v1.5.1+)."

I can't test since I'm still on iOS 10 because of this bug...

• SharedPlex.tvSharedPlex.tv Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hope some PLEX employee will actually see we are a LOT waiting to get access to the iOS BETA but replying to the Google Docs Survey doesn't get us access to it !

WE WANT BETA ACCESS TO IOS PLEX. WE ARE PAID LIFETIME PLEXPASS :)

Thanks.

• ryan.faheyryan.fahey Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@drdb said:
    Just so you devs know, video playback does not work with both the current beta and release apps in iOS 11. When you initially press play, the video loads endlessly until you press pause then play, at which point the audio starts working but only the covert art is displayed.I think this might be caused by Apple's obsession with HEVC now.

with my devices running iOS 11 the videos start to play immediately, but on 90% of mine I get audio only; these are ones that are packaged in mkv and have to be transcoded. Ones that were originally created for iOS (just about every .mp4 I tested) play video just fine.

• john_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edujohn_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edu Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 9

@SebNYD said:
    The new iOS version (4.16) seems to be addressing the issue :
    "Fixed playback on iOS 11 (Requires PMS v1.5.1+)."

I can't test since I'm still on iOS 10 because of this bug...

4.16 does not fix the iOS play-back bug for me. (iOS 11 DP5 on iPad Air 2, PMS 1.8.0.4109 on OS X 11.13 DP5)

• dkleindklein Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

4.16 release does correct the mkv media issues for me, however my server is not running the OS X 10.13 High Serra beta. For those still have issues, what OS is your server running on?

@john_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edu you appear to be running on the OS X beta as well per your last post, do you have anything else to test the server on?

• john_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edujohn_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edu Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 9

@dklein said:
    4.16 release does correct the mkv media issues for me, however my server is not running the OS X 10.13 High Serra beta. For those still have issues, what OS is your server running on?

@john_fenton_ab92@post.harvard.edu you appear to be running on the OS X beta as well per your last post, do you have anything else to test the server on?

Yes. I've asked my son at home to make sure our downstairs PMS is running. I don't use that Mac for development, so that one is on 10.12. But it appears to be turned off at the moment, as I can't access it remotely. I'll report back once that server is turned back on.

Edited: No change. I get sound only on all MKVs, which is 99.99% of our video files. (I rip them with multiple language tracks and subtitle tracks.) Nearly all have video encoded with h.264 or h.265. I tested files with both.

Tested configurations: iOS Plex App 4.16 on iPad Air 2 and iPhone 7 with PMS 1.8.0.4109 on OS X 10.12 and OS X 10.13 DP5.

• audiomixeraudiomixer Posts: 133Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 9

iOS 11 PB4 on iPad Pro 9.7, PMS for nvidia shield 1.8.0.4109. Many mkv files with various audio tracks tested. No failure to play so far. Video and audio normal. The latest iOS version 4.16 released today is working as expected here on my local network. Also tested on a remote network where the PMS is version 1.7.5.4035 on a 2010 Mac mini on 10.11.5

It is working for me now as well after I got new Plex app updates last night on both iOS devices. Earlier yesterday, the App Store showed that I had 4.1.6 installed (and there were recent updates in my update history), but it still wasn't working. After the app updated again last night, everything worked.

So those of us whom edited the iOS.xml file should now revert that change I assume.

via Twitter
    Marshalleq
    Tech-KnowHow

Website

• volcom45volcom45 Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@marshalleq said:
    So those of us whom edited the iOS.xml file should now revert that change I assume.

I'm pretty sure just updating to the latest PMS will revert that file back for you..

When it comes out, perhaps it will update, but since I am on the latest and that is what I modified I guess not now. I didn't pay much attention to what formats etc it was restricting, but I assume what the file did was restrict formats on the server because the client couldn't decode it like it's supposed to. So while it works I expect that now all iOS devices with these formats will force a transcode on the server when the updated client makes this unnecessary. I don't think transcoding on the server is desirable when it can be done on the client. Eventually I'll have a look, not this weekend though. Perhaps someone will be able to comment.

via Twitter
    Marshalleq
    Tech-KnowHow

Website

• chinchino88chinchino88 Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Playback still not working on ios11

• drdbdrdb Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@chinchino88 said:
    Playback still not working on ios11

The fixed app is currently in beta and should be released soon.

• N-U-M-A-NN-U-M-A-N Posts: 73Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • audiomixeraudiomixer Posts: 133Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am running plex iOS version 4.16.1 on iOS 11. All works correctly so far. Seems that the iOS app was fixed.