If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex plugin does not work correctly on FreeNAS 11 and easily reproducible in FreeBSD 11 as well.

krusergkruserg Posts: 2Members

Hello,

Plex plugin installed in FreeNAS 11 jail definitely has a bug. Navigation through my libraries is not possible. This issue is easy reproducible in FreeNAS 11 as well as FreeBSD 11 jail.

Please read through the attached PDF file, which show a log dialog that I had with FreeNAS support team. Eventually they advised that that issue could be fixed only by Plex support. This will allow you fully understand the issue.

Please advise.

Regards,,
Sergey

Comments

• gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 605Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Because including a PDF of a webpage just makes things painful: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/24082

I cannot find the issue in your logs because they are so full of other processes. These steps explicitly state that you should restart the server, reproduce the problem, then grab the logs. This restart makes finding the issue in the logs siginficantly easier.

BTW, we know people have successfully run Plex on FreeBSD 11, so it could really be that FreeNAS's plugin system is not setting up the jail correctly. I don't know the details myself seeing as how I've dumped jails months ago and I'll never be going back.

• ahughes03ahughes03 Posts: 153Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gbooker02: The issue is not with Plex running on FreeBSD or FreeNAS 11, it's adding new folders or libraries in the GUI.

For example, I log into my Plex Server GUI (which is running in a vanilla jail on FreeNAS 11.0-RC3) and everything works correctly, until I go to add a new Library (Let's call it Test). When I get to the Add Folders section, and try to add a folder, you can no longer move around in the file system (personally, I'm sandboxed inside of the Plex Dataset, and can't navigate to storage outside of the /usr/local/plexdata-plexpass/ even though my jail is linked to other storage points).

I'm at work and can't remote in the reboot and capture logs, but the steps to reproduce are as simple as logging into your PMS, and trying to add folders to a new or existing Library...

My Plex Server: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/qbJV3C
    My Plex Clients: 3x Odroid C-2 and OpenPHT, a few phones and tablets, etc..
    Setting up a Plex Server on FreeNAS "the right way"
    Setting up your Plex Dataset on FreeNAS "the right way"

• gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 605Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
  • krusergkruserg Posts: 2Members

Yes this is exactly it. Exactly same picture. To be able to navigate through my folders I had to downgrade FreeNAS back to 9.10 version. Hope they can fix this issue one day.
    Thanks for replying.

• ahughes03ahughes03 Posts: 153Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gbooker02, yes, that's the same issue. Thanks for finding a related post. I'll watch both to see if anything come of it.

My Plex Server: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/qbJV3C
    My Plex Clients: 3x Odroid C-2 and OpenPHT, a few phones and tablets, etc..
    Setting up a Plex Server on FreeNAS "the right way"
    Setting up your Plex Dataset on FreeNAS "the right way"

• I had to struggle with this tonight as I just got my FreeNas box and Plex Plugin going.
    The solution for me was to analyze where the common ground was between the Jail Storage and the Plex Media Library.

Ends up there is a common overlap and this was all I had to do.

Browse the Jail Storage source as my main Media Folder (or what ever folder you want as a sorce.
    Source: /mnt/Master/Media (my dataset on FreeNas)
    Destination /var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media

That destination is the parent Media folder you see when browsing for Media to add to your library inside Plex.