Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

BUG: app Video Quality Settings for Channels ignored on local network

jfrench1011jfrench1011 Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited June 28 in iOS

iOS App 4.13
Plex Media Server 1.7.2.3878 and 1.5.6.3790
iOS: 10.3.2

After running various tests and scenarios I was able to trace the issue down to this. On local network, play back of channel videos always use direct play/direct stream ignoring the Home Streaming Video Quality settings. I have tried on a couple channels (IPTV and iTunes Movie Trailers) and both exhibit this behavior. Was introduced in 4.12.

Movies/TV Shows in the library properly transcode as per Home Streaming Video Quality settings, appears to just be channel videos.

Answers

• jfrench1011jfrench1011 Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

iOS App 4.14
    Plex Media Server Version 1.7.5.4035

Tested with the new app, problem still exists. Quality settings are ignored for Channel playback and Directstream/Directplay used when on the home network. Is causing issues for certain Channels for my on my home network.

• hsousahsousa Plex for iOS/tvOS Developer Lisbon, PortugalPosts: 118Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee

Hi @jfrench1011!

There seems to be an issue with that specific scenario. I forwarded this to the server team to be looked at.

Thanks for reporting!

• DoubleGamersDoubleGamers Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 13

Same issue, while streaming on chromecast 2nd gen, only direct-play is working, settings in app are ignored.
    (direct play ist crashing after 10-15 minutes)
    on 1st gen chromecast no problem and pms is trans-coding and everything is fine

An option on server side to disable direct play would be awesome :neutral:

iOS App 4.14

PMS: Hardware Transcoding Preview 3 (1.6.0.3720)

• jfrench1011jfrench1011 Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@hsousa said:
    Hi @jfrench1011!

There seems to be an issue with that specific scenario. I forwarded this to the server team to be looked at.

Thanks for reporting!

Did they acknowledge the bug? New plex app 4.15 and PMS 1.7.6.4058 and still having the issue :(

• wmchriswmchris Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

can confirm with plex app for android tv. Same problem -> video crashes and it ignores the direct play settings.