Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

VPN split tunneling with PIA and Plex

foreverdanteforeverdante Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I have found a few threads on this, mostly in the Windows section, but I haven't found any concrete answers. I am currently running my Plex server on a Fedora 24 workstation, connected to my home router. I am able to access Plex from outside of the network, as long as my PIA VPN is turned off. I would like to be able to keep it on throughout the day, but have Plex available at the same time. I am not a wizard when it comes to networking, but Im also not afraid to get my hands dirty. I just really need someone to help point me in the right direction.

Thank you guys and gals

Answers

• gjaltembagjaltemba Members Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

The simplest solution would be to bypass vpn for plex traffic. Does that work for you?

• foreverdanteforeverdante Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

Yes, I need to bypass the VPN... I just don't know how to go about that

On my firewall, I have a port forward on the wan interface for 32400 directed to the PMS lan IP and a rule to route traffic from PMS lan IP to PlexTV on the wan interface.

• mbsouthambsoutha Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Some VPNs support port forwarding. Which defeats the purpose of a VPN but might be your easiest method.

• indochris609indochris609 Members Posts: 2

@gjaltemba said:
    On my firewall, I have a port forward on the wan interface for 32400 directed to the PMS lan IP and a rule to route traffic from PMS lan IP to PlexTV on the wan interface.

Hey - would you mind a dumbed down version of this? I'm dying to get PIA to work and I've tried nearly everything! I'm stuck at configuring the port forward in my WAN settings. Does this look ok?

@indochris609
    The port forward rules looks right to me but it does not give me a complete sense of your overall network layout and what you want to accomplish.