If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Transcoding HEVC local via Chrome (browser, not cast)

revelaterevelate Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi All, just wondering if anyone could help me with something. Recently purchased a Chromecast Ultra, got it up and running but Plex server would still transcode any HEVC on itself and then send to the ultra, which has HEVC native support.
I have fixed this by editing the chromecast.xml to force plex to send all HEVC to the Ultra, no issues now, cpu on NAS at 1% and the ultra loads superquick without buffer.

Now, the question is, does anyone know how to do this for Chrome, or any browser. The web.xml is the one plex has browsers use as the other xml files are redirected to it.

Attached are the xml for web and the custom Chromecast Ultra, do not try the chromcast.xml if you dont have an Ultra, wont work. (mine is set to 1080p also, so if you use it with your ultra and run 4k, dont forget to edit it.)

Im a systems engineer, so coding and programming arent my strongest suites, servers and that stuff no problem ><

Thanks all.

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 26,346Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

There are currently no web browsers which do support HEVC videos.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • revelaterevelate Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Apparently not not. Chrome actually did only a month or 2 ago. I know this as I could stream from my NAS directly to Chrome, would use 0% CPU on NAS and about 7% of my video cards GPU. Tested multiple times to make sure I was seeing what I though and it was working. It's the latest update or 2 to Chrome that has again forced the NAS to re-encode.

Not a huge issue, i use plex app from store on win10 to play as it uses hw decoding, and chromecast ultra plugged into my amp/projector setup does everything native now. Just let my friend start watching my plex shows/movies and he watched a HEVC movie straight up.

So I do know that Chrome can do it, possibly a chrome setting itself, will look into that now :relaxed: