Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku App Requires Multiple Attempts to Play Video From Plex Cloud Server Before It Succeeds

Jester.TuckerJester.Tucker Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this problem, so I thought I'd mention it and see if it's just me or a known issue.

I have a Roku 3 (with an SDHC card) and a Plex Cloud Server linked to OneDrive. When I attempt to play a video using the PCS, it fails, and I have to try playing it about six to twenty times before it'll finally succeed. (It hits 13% and displays an error, the text of which I forget because it's a generic "Unable to play, etc." message.) When it eventually progresses from 13% to 33%, I know it's going to succeed.

I can successfully play the video on my phone at the same time the Roku is failing to play it, so I don't think it's an issue with the PCS, OD, or the video itself.

It doesn't seem related to decoding because x264 and x265 exhibit the same problem on the Roku.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps that I can perform to help narrow down the issue? Would the PCS logs be helpful?

Answers