Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Photo Folders in Android!!! What has happened?

Ivo-OttIvo-Ott Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

My photo album is a organized place, everything in folders and subfolders by date and event, organized just as I like.
Almost half of photos in libraries are without any TAGs.
After today's update my Android devices are showing a big mess of everything in photo libraries.
Why have you done this PLEX people???!!!
At least leave an option for somebody to organize Photos by folder?
Why should you do it?
1) Because people might have photos without date-taken TAG's, also older scanned photos!
2) Maybe somebody wants to show only some selected folders to somebody not all the unlogical mess-mix of everything.

Or I am doing everything wrong here. Any advice? PLEX was a perfect tool to show photos from different devices and places.

Best Answers

  • Ivo-OttIvo-Ott Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

    I just downloaded and installed older version (x86) back on my MiPad2 tablet, and it just works.
    Going to do the same to Beelink (arm) android tv box later.
    I have no time for this, I am not a beta tester

«13

Answers

  • ted.hallbergted.hallberg Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    I have the same problem! Very annoying! It worked perfect before the latest update!

  • danHavercroftdanHavercroft Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

    Same here, really annoying when I have a couple of thousand photos.

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,475 Plex Employee

    Can you explain what you are seeing, maybe a screenshot? We did add a timeline view some time ago, which groups everything by date. You can change it back to the standard grid view by clicking on the view icon (looks like 3x3 boxes) and select grid.

  • avinashmeetooavinashmeetoo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass
    edited June 15

    Hi,

    I am having the same (very annoying) issue.

    In the previous version of the app, when selecting Grid, folders were shown (and this is perfect for all those who have thousands of photos neatly put in folders and subfolders).

    In the current version of the app, instead of Grid showing folders, Grid shows all the photos (thousands in my case) sorted by date and name. The problem, of course, is that not all the photos I have are perfectly tagged and, consequently, Grid is unusable for me.

    I would suggest that:

    (1) This new Grid behavior be kept (for all those who have perfectly tagged their photos)
    (2) The old Grid behavior be restored (and called, say, Folders) similar to what we have for other kinds of libraries.

    [An addendum: In the web app, when in a photo library, one can "Browse by timeline" (which is now the default) but one can also "Browse by type" which is the folder view in fact. This is perfect. This is what needs to be added back to the Android app.]

    Thanks,
    Avinash

  • BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,763 Plex Employee

    Please take a screen shot of what you are talking about. the web app and Android app show the exact same thing for me. in the screen shots below those two things ( "Camera" and "movieposters") are folders. in those are more folders. the android app is in Grid View

    (I understand if you have photos you may not want to post here, if so can you create a test library with a few throw away images that shows the problem and take a screen shot)

    Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,475 Plex Employee
    edited June 15

    @avinashmeetoo said:
    In the previous version of the app, when selecting Grid, folders were shown (and this is perfect for all those who have thousands of photos neatly put in folders and subfolders).

    In the current version of the app, instead of Grid showing folders, Grid shows all the photos (thousands in my case) sorted by date and name. The problem, of course, is that not all the photos I have are perfectly tagged and, consequently, Grid is unusable for me.

    I would suggest that:

    (1) This new Grid behavior be kept (for all those who have perfectly tagged their photos)
    (2) The old Grid behavior be restored (and called, say, Folders) similar to what we have for other kinds of libraries.

    None of this has changed. The Grid view should be working. Is it possible you (or someone else if you share the library) enabled the camera upload feature from one of our mobile apps which then added a bunch of photos to the root of your photo library. So it just looks like the albums are missing.

    [An addendum: In the web app, when in a photo library, one can "Browse by timeline" (which is now the default) but one can also "Browse by type" which is the folder view in fact. This is perfect. This is what needs to be added back to the Android app.]

    This is the same as the Timeline/Grid view.

  • ted.hallbergted.hallberg Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited June 15

    @MovieFan.Plex said:

    @avinashmeetoo said:
    In the previous version of the app, when selecting Grid, folders were shown (and this is perfect for all those who have thousands of photos neatly put in folders and subfolders).

    In the current version of the app, instead of Grid showing folders, Grid shows all the photos (thousands in my case) sorted by date and name. The problem, of course, is that not all the photos I have are perfectly tagged and, consequently, Grid is unusable for me.

    I would suggest that:

    (1) This new Grid behavior be kept (for all those who have perfectly tagged their photos)
    (2) The old Grid behavior be restored (and called, say, Folders) similar to what we have for other kinds of libraries.

    None of this has changed. The Grid view should be working. Is it possible you (or someone else if you share the library) enabled the camera upload feature from one of our mobile apps which then added a bunch of photos to the root of your photo library. So it just looks like the albums are missing.

    [An addendum: In the web app, when in a photo library, one can "Browse by timeline" (which is now the default) but one can also "Browse by type" which is the folder view in fact. This is perfect. This is what needs to be added back to the Android app.]

    This is the same as the Timeline/Grid view.

    I can confirm that the folders are not visible anymore in the Android Mobile app. It works as before in the Android TV version. I have not enabled camera upload - my photos are structured exactly as before.
    Choosing the grid view all my ten thousand+ photos is shown. Before it showed all my folders.
    See picture.

  • avinashmeetooavinashmeetoo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass
    edited June 15

    Hi all,

    I have just noticed something very peculiar.

    On my Nexus 7 running Android 6.0.1, this is what I see:

    I can see folders (I group my photos by year) and everything is fine.

    On my OnePlus 3T running Android 7.1.1 (both are stock Android and the devices are not rooted), this is what I see:

    It's completely different from what I have on my Nexus 7: no folder view but the photos sorted by file name even though I am in the same Grid view and, obviously, accessing the same Plex server at the same time.

    Something funny is definitely going on. Is this related to Android 7? I don't know. But this "feature" definitely makes browsing through the thousands of photos quite impossible...

    Avinash

  • avinashmeetooavinashmeetoo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

    Hi,

    I've checked the version of the app. This is what I have:

    • Nexus 7 : Plex 5.10.3.441 and Grid is working fine
    • OnePlus 3T : Plex 6.0.1.523 and Grid is not working as expected -- no folders

    It seems to me that there is a bug in Plex 6.0.1.523.

    Incidentally, 6.0.1.523 followed 5.10.3.441: there are no other releases in between. And as 6.0.1.523 was released only 2 days ago, it's only now that people are starting to have this major browsing issue.

    Avinash

  • BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,763 Plex Employee
    edited June 15

    The image i posted above with folders showing correctly is version 6.0.1.523 on a Nexus 5X.

    can you grab your logs after switching to grid mode ( also what version of server are you running )

    Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,475 Plex Employee

    I'm on a Samsung S6 running Android 7.0 and Plex 6.0.1 and photos are working fine. Can you update the app on your Nexus to 6.0.1 and check if it has the same issue?

    I wonder if this has to do with the OxygenOS on your One Plus.

  • Ivo-OttIvo-Ott Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    I have an android tablet and a tv-box. On both original photo-folders are not accessible. GRID mode or List mode, all the same! Big pile of sh*.
    It is a paid software. You cannot experiment like this.
    At least my windows environment is intact. Still ...

  • Ivo-OttIvo-Ott Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    True, folders are intact in android tv version.

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,475 Plex Employee

    @Ivo-Ott said:
    I have an android tablet and a tv-box. On both original photo-folders are not accessible. GRID mode or List mode, all the same! Big pile of sh*.
    It is a paid software. You cannot experiment like this.
    At least my windows environment is intact. Still ...

    Can you indicate what devices you have and what Android they are running? Also include if you know they are running a modified version of Android. Our apps are designed and tested on the Android OS. We cannot guarantee the app will work on other versions. For example, Fire TV devices by Amazon run a modified version of Android and we have to modify our app to run properly on these devices. We try to support other OS's when possible but can't guarantee they all work.

  • Ivo-OttIvo-Ott Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    Android tv box is Beelink GT1 (Android 6 I think), tablet is Xiaomi MiPad2 with Android 5 and MIUI8.
    Just mention, that only photos part is broken on these devices and it worked three days ago.
    When I changed Beelink to tv-mode, everything seems to work ok.

  • NCBigPoppaNCBigPoppa Members Posts: 1

    I have two android devices: Nexus 7 (2013) and Moto X Pure (2015). Both are running Marshmallow; Nexus is rooted but otherwise stock, Moto X Pure is not rooted. Both are Plex version 6.0.1.523 (06b21ba1). Server version is 1.5.6.3790.

    As described above in avinashmeetoo's post, on both devices the photo library no longer displays folders when using the Browse function. Folders appear normally on my Windows PC, so it's not an issue with the library itself.

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,475 Plex Employee

    Ok guys, we've tried on a few different devices and haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Can you guys go in and out of your photo library a few times then get me the log from the app?

  • Ivo-OttIvo-Ott Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

    I just downloaded and installed older version (x86) back on my MiPad2 tablet, and it just works.
    Going to do the same to Beelink (arm) android tv box later.
    I have no time for this, I am not a beta tester

  • avinashmeetooavinashmeetoo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

    @MovieFan.Plex said:
    I'm on a Samsung S6 running Android 7.0 and Plex 6.0.1 and photos are working fine. Can you update the app on your Nexus to 6.0.1 and check if it has the same issue?

    I wonder if this has to do with the OxygenOS on your One Plus.

    Hi,

    I have updated the app on the Nexus to the latest 6.0.1.523 and I now have the same issue : folders are not shown anymore! (I am not posting a new screenshot of the Nexus 7 because it is now exactly the same as my OnePlus 3T which is consistent at least...)

    Therefore this is not an Android 6 / Android 7 / OxygenOS issue but, most probably, a bug in 6.0.1.523 as the previous version of the app didn't have this behavior.

    I am attaching the log file of the Android app from the moment I updated to 6.0.1.523 and launched it.

    Avinash

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,475 Plex Employee

    @Ivo-Ott said:
    I just downloaded and installed older version (x86) back on my MiPad2 tablet, and it just works.
    Going to do the same to Beelink (arm) android tv box later.
    I have no time for this, I am not a beta tester

    Did you sideload the app originally? You didn't get the app from the Google Play Store?

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.