Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Negative unwatched counts

dohdoh Members, Plex Pass Posts: 137 Plex Pass

In my TV collection I have 8 TV shows that have a negative unwatched count.

If I mark those shows as unwatched I get an unwatched count that doesn't match the total number of episodes. If I mark them as watched, I get a negative watch count.

Somehow, plex is mis-counting the episode watched status.

This is only happening on one user (the primary user).

Is there some way of completely resetting the watched status for a show? (deleting the rows from the DB for instance?)

I'm running Windows PMS Version 1.7.2.3878

Thanks

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 22,061 Plex Ninja

@doh said:
    Is there some way of completely resetting the watched status for a show? (deleting the rows from the DB for instance?)

Performing the Plex Dance should take care of that.

But before you do it, you should verify that your Plex database is in good health:
    1. activate debug logging (not 'verbose'!)
    2. quit Plex Server
    3. wait 1 minute
    4. start Plex Server
    5. wait 3 minutes
    6. fetch log files

Inspect the Plex Media Server.log file and seek for lines containing corrupt or malformed

• dohdoh Members, Plex Pass Posts: 137 Plex Pass

Hi
    I've checked the logs and there are no corrupt or malformed errors.
    I've performed the Plex Dance for the affected shows and it's still not fixed it.
    I have shows (such as The 100) where I have done the dance, re-added the shows, and when I mark the entire series as read, it still shows up in Unread shows.
    Taking another show (Pretty Little Liars), Season 4 has 24 episodes. If I mark them as unwatched, PMS shows an unwatched count of 0. If I mark them as watched it shows the count as -24. I can perform the dance on this season, and when I add them back in the situation remains the same.
    Other than totally re-creating my PMS DB, any ideas?
    Thanks

edited June 19

I got word from @MovieFan.Plex that this particular error may occur after an import of 'watched' status into a non-empty database.
    The import causes duplicate datasets for all those items which which were already in the database when the import was performed.
    The remedy is manual de-duplication.
    Please PM @MovieFan.Plex and send him your Plex DB file.

edited June 19

I got word from @MovieFan.Plex that this particular error may occur after an import of 'watched' status into a non-empty database.
    The import causes duplicate datasets for all those items which which were already in the database when the import was performed.
    The remedy is manual de-duplication.
    Please PM @MovieFan.Plex and send him your Plex DB file.

If you know what SQL is and you want to try yourself, it is the table metadata_item_settings

Thanks - that helps a lot I think.
    From looking at that table, would I be correct in presuming that I need to look for duplicates where there are multiple entries of the same guid for that particular user account_id?

I assume yes, but I don't know for sure.
    @MovieFan.Plex would know

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,111 Plex Employee

@doh said:
    Thanks - that helps a lot I think.
    From looking at that table, would I be correct in presuming that I need to look for duplicates where there are multiple entries of the same guid for that particular user account_id?

That is correct. Personally, I would just delete the earlier entries. Are you familiar with SQL to do this? This can be accomplished with 1 sql statement.

That is correct. Personally, I would just delete the earlier entries. Are you familiar with SQL to do this? This can be accomplished with 1 sql statement.

I am "ok" with SQL. If you can give me an example of the SQL statement I'm sure I can get it sorted. Thanks