Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install.

stream_demonstream_demon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Hello. I recently did the latest Shield Experience TV Upgrade for my Nvidia Shield and now my videos won't transcode to devices inside or outside my network. I've tried to troubleshoot this and cannot figure out how to fix it. I can direct play a video from the shield itself but nothing else will play.
It says " Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install."

Answers

• Ystrm1Ystrm1 Members Posts: 1

I've got the same problem on NVidia Shield Android TV

• stream_demonstream_demon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Someone suggested for me to check the Play Store to see if there's an update for PMS even though I thought the Shield Experience Upgrade would have come with it since it was listed as a feature improvement.

I ended up just uninstalling all Plex Media Server Updates/Clearing Cache and Data and starting over. Re-updated the PMS app, and rebuilt my libraries. It took about 4 hours but I'm back up and running again and all my users can stream again.

Check for the update first and if it's up to date, just uninstall and rebuild.

• stream_demonstream_demon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Just to clarify it took 4 hours for me because I have huge libraries and many permissions to re-set and whatnot. If you have a smaller library it probably won't take long.