If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Remote Resolution Setting limited/capped?

davidobedavidobe Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

I started streaming from work through the web app and noticed that I can't set the quality setting higher than 720 kbps.

Here's my configuration:

Server: Version 1.4.3.3433
Web: Version 3.9.0
Web > Player Settings:

• Local Quality: Original
  • Remote Quality: Original
  • Online Quality: Original
  • HTML5 Player: Checked
  • Direct Play: Checked
  • Direct Stream: Checked
  • Allow Direct Play of AC3 Audio: Checked
    Server > Transcoder Settings:

• Transcoder quality: Automatic

The movie to be streamed is 1080p H264 and is recognized as such within Plex. Whenever I start a movie through Firefox or Chrome, I can't set the bitrate higher than 720 kbps.

Any idea on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Comments

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 26,346Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Your server version is no longer supported.
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/268072/plex-media-server-1-5-1-and-plex-media-player-1-2-4-or-newer-are-mandatory-updates#latest

Verify that your server is actually directly reachable from the outside.
    If you see a yellow exclamation mark or the word indirect beside your server's name, then this is not the case.
    Then Plex falls back to the Relay Service, which is bandwidth-limited to 1mbps without Plex Pass and 2mbps with plex Pass.

There is also a server settings which can limit the remote streaming bitrate:
    Settings - Server - Remote Access - "Limit remote stream bitrate"

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • davidobedavidobe Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

I have updated Plex. Now I have:

Server: Version 1.5.6.3790
    Web: Version 3.9.1

When connected at work, I still see "Indirect" below my server name. How can I make it "Direct" so that I can stream at full quality?

Thanks!

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,587Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@davidobe said:
    Hello,

I have updated Plex. Now I have:

Server: Version 1.5.6.3790
    Web: Version 3.9.1

When connected at work, I still see "Indirect" below my server name. How can I make it "Direct" so that I can stream at full quality?

Thanks!

You have issues with remote access. Download your server logs (server settings -> help, click download logs) and attach them to your next post.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Got it. Which log file should I include? Can I safely share the whole log? Any sensitive information in it?

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,587Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

If you don't have Plex tokens enabled, which is disabled by default, then nothing sensitive will be in there. Upload the zip file.

Where are my log files?

Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

I use PlexKodiConnect on my Kodi Linux box, does this enable tokens?

The only way to enable tokens is to go to the server settings under general and enable Plex tokens in logs.

Where are my log files?

@kegobeer-plex said:
    The only way to enable tokens is to go to the server settings under general and enable Plex tokens in logs.

And you should never do that.

Thanks! Here's the log!

Jun 15, 2017 21:08:08.494 [7092] ERROR - CERT: Error in TLS handshake: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine

You may have a virus scanner installed which decrypts network traffic to inspect it. And then re-encrypts it with its own security certificate. When Plex encounters such a packet, it discards it because the security certificate doesn't match the source website. This is basically a man-in-the-middle-attack. All packets are to be considered as compromised.

What type of drive is H: ?

I see messages about Chromecast in the logs. Lots of them.
    Wasn't this question about the web app?

Then there is this:
    D:\Media Center\TV Shows\Not on HDD\.grab: boost::filesystem::status: The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable: "D:\Media Center\TV Shows\Not on HDD\.grab"

I am also seeing a lot of error messages about PlexKodiConnect, which I don't know.

Make sure all drive letters are working.
    But the biggest issue is the compromised encrypted communication.

There is only one playback logged in these log files. And this one was transcoded because the client was a Chromecast which had an upper bandwidth limit set at 2 mbps.

Hello, I think I figured out why it's not working. Internet access is limited to specific website at work, for example, we cannot access IMDB. It is blocked by Watchguard. SInce I can connect remotely through TeamViewer at home, I tried few things:

• Set up the port forwarding. Didn't change anything.
    • Disabled Secure Connections, got the error message from WatchGuard.

This would mean that WatchGuard doesn't recognize the Plex relay as entertainment. This would be the only way I could watch my content then :(

Regarding the other things:

• H: is a HDD where I re-directed the transcoding as I didn't want to burn my SSD.
    • D: was an Amazon Cloud Drive mounted through StableBlit CloudDrive. However, since I un-attached it, I am not able to attach it back and see my content. I had some videos on there that were not on other HDD.
    • We have a Chromecast TV that we use often for the kids. We do get however some error on it. Sometime, it would keep showing the movie progress bar, then making it disappear, showing it back, and so on. It can be really annoying. I am thinking this may be due to our wifi signal not being very good, so the TV has issues syncing.
    • Not sure about the error message for PlexKodiConnect though. It works fine most of the time. I just wish the official Kodi plugin would be free or available as an one time payment.