If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Recommend Buying new synology advice with HW and tracoding

zeccoxzeccox Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello everyone

I have problem with my ds414..

When I'm streaming at my sister remotely or others it having a stugging buffering alot on the Apple TV4 I'm having fine coming in plex but when watching movies and such having a hard time doing it so I don't know if I need some transcoding or something. Sometimes it says it not powerful enough. At home I got direct stream it working fine there

I been looking at the 916+ but I don't know if that powerful enough neither to do remotely at my sister or my others familie. So I m looking much after a new synology. But I don't know if I need to build a mtx new computer. Cause i never know what to do. As far as I read don't it like take a alot of watt.

I'm playing all 1080p

And I got 2x4tb in the ds414

So please need some advice do I need to build a new computer or can I really use a synology I mean I really like there system software..

Thanks for the help

Best Answer

Answers

• zeccoxzeccox Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@trumpy81 said:
    Plex will transcode a file if that file is not compatible with the Plex client device you are attempting to play it on or if there is not sufficient bandwidth to transmit the file across the internet.

FYI: Transcoding is the process of changing one set of codes and file parameters for another set of codecs and file parameters on the fly, or in real time. That requires an awful lot of CPU processing power, and your current NAS simply does not have the required CPU power to do so, which means your NAS will always fail to transcode.

The DS916+ is a good choice. It does have enough CPU power to transcode one low bitrate 1080p file at a time and should be capable of streaming a file across the internet.

In the very near future though, the DS916+ will get a slight boost in it's ability to transcode when/if Plex enables Hardware Acceleration. Sorry, I have no timeline on when or if that will happen though. That should allow you to transcode two, possibly more, low bitrate 1080p files at a time.

If you were to stay with your current NAS, then you need to make sure your files have an overall bitrate of no more than 8Mbps for a 1080p file and if you wish to stream that across the internet then it is better if the overall bitrate is 4Mbps or less.

If you really want a machine that can transcode several files at once and stream with relative ease (not counting network issues), then you will need a high end PC with an i7 or Xeon processor and running the latest PMS of course.

Check the passmark scores for any processor you are considering, the minimum requirement to transcode a 1080p file is 2000, but you should add more than that to handle any overheads your system may need, so a passmark of 2500 or better is desirable.

HTH

So pretty any nas is not powerful enough. To do this. I only got like 4 people in my familie who like to watch over the internet.

If it should be be is there any you can recomment I know I only watch 1080p and 4k at my home over direct stream

And over the internet is 1080p.

So I hope if there any NAS that is capable even I hope so there cause I really like the software. I just think it very new for building a computer also think it hard.

Is there anything recomment for my set-up atm I only got 4 bay with the ds414

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 9,819Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I have already answered your questions. I suggest you go back and read it again.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,408Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Do What Andy M says. Buy the 916+.
    Then later if/when it dose not handle the streaming you want.
    You then buy a NUC Skull and use that exclusively as your plex server

Or buy the Skull now and keep your current NAS as storage only.
    FYI on Amazon
    916+ = US$600
    NUC Skull =$580 RAM16GB $250 - 250Gb SSD = $115 - Total =$945

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

edited June 19

r> @spikemixture said:

Do What Andy M says. Buy the 916+.
    Then later if/when it dose not handle the streaming you want.
    You then buy a NUC Skull and use that exclusively as your plex server

Or buy the Skull now and keep your current NAS as storage only.
    FYI on Amazon
    916+ = US$600
    NUC Skull =$580 RAM16GB $250 - 250Gb SSD = $115 - Total =$945

@trumpy81 said:
    I have already answered your questions. I suggest you go back and read it again.

what is this NUC Skull is it like a Nas kinda like server like the synology ?

i know i got the Nividia shield to use for watching on it.

saw something you can combine the synology storge + NUC Skull for plex install server. but can you do the same with nividia shield or is that not powerful enough

edited June 19

An Intel NUC is a mini PC. The Skull NUC has an i7 CPU, although there are a couple of versions to choose from.

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc6i7kyk-features-configurations.html

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
    edited June 19

@trumpy81 said:
    An Intel NUC is a micro PC. The Skull NUC has an i7 CPU, although there are a couple of versions to choose from.

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc6i7kyk-features-configurations.html

how does this work. i do got the nividia sheild is that powerful enough ? do like remotely also with the NUC Skull.. or skould i save up for the 916+ or mabe a other synology.. im so comfused with this. sorry if im too much.. this is just totalt new and it been working fine with the synology but now i wish to use for my familie too.

Like the Shield, the NUC is used to run the PMS server, a NAS is used for storing files only.

You can use any NAS in this case, it does not need to be able to transcode, since you would not be running PMS on the NAS.

Regards,
    Andy M.

@trumpy81 said:
    Like the Shield, the NUC is used to run the PMS server, a NAS is used for storing files only.

You can use any NAS in this case, it does not need to be able to transcode, since you would not be running PMS on the NAS.

ok what would you sugguest.. if i wanna use the curret nas then use the nivida sheild as the server.to transscode if i wanna use. over internet. for the familie. like 4 people maybe.

so basicly if i install plex media server on the nividia. would it be powerful enough or would it be the same like the nas. where it says it not powerful enuff

i got like fibre internet 100 downlaod/100 uplaod.

Yes, The Nvidia Shield should be able to handle two, possibly three, low bitrate 1080p transcodes at the same time. You simply use your current NAS to store the files on.

The Nvidia Shield should also be connected to your TV. Plex Media Server on the Shield, can send the video to Plex Media Player (also on the Shield) so that you can watch your videos on the TV.

The Nvidia Shield should also be able to transcode and send the video across the internet to your family.

The speed of your internet connection is not that important, it is the bandwidth that is important and sometimes, you may not have enough bandwidth to send the video and it might pause and stutter during playback at the other end.

That is why it is important to keep your files overall bitrates to a bare minimum. For 1080p, the overall bitrate should be around 4Mbps or less for sending across the internet. If you are watching video locally on your TV, then the overall bitrate can be much higher.

Regards,
    Andy M.

edited June 19

@trumpy81 said:
    Yes, The Nvidia Shield should be able to handle two, possibly three, low bitrate 1080p transcodes at the same time. You simply use your current NAS to store the files on.

The Nvidia Shield should also be connected to your TV. Plex Media Server on the Shield, can send the video to Plex Media Player (also on the Shield) so that you can watch your videos on the TV.

The Nvidia Shield should also be able to transcode and send the video across the internet to your family.

The speed of your internet connection is not that important, it is the bandwidth that is important and sometimes, you may not have enough bandwidth to send the video and it might pause and stutter during playback at the other end.

That is why it is important to keep your files overall bitrates to a bare minimum. For 1080p, the overall bitrate should be around 4Mbps or less for sending across the internet. If you are watching video locally on your TV, then the overall bitrate can be much higher.

So the lowest bitrate ok check. Wait can the nivdia shield be Open for remotly Really hope this work. Then this would save me Some Money

@zeccox said:

@trumpy81 said:

So the lowest bitrate ok check. Wait can the nivdia shield be Open for remotly Really hope this work. Then this would save me Some Money

Does the nividia need to stay on

To answer your questions, yes and yes. The Nvidia Shield cannot work when it's switched off. ;)

And yes, you can use the Shield for remote access. You just need to make sure in Plex settings->server->remote access, that you get a green tick beside it, otherwise you may need to port forward, port #32400 in your router settings.

Regards,
    Andy M.

edited June 21

@trumpy81 said:
    To answer your questions, yes and yes. The Nvidia Shield cannot work when it's switched off. ;)

And yes, you can use the Shield for remote access. You just need to make sure in Plex settings->server->remote access, that you get a green tick beside it, otherwise you may need to port forward, port #32400 in your router settings.

I Got a other port instead of 32400 that work remotely. Is that good or bad. Oh yea I got the nividia sheild as the plex server. and the synology to storge my files and it using HW is that good for the quality of the movie.. is the nividia sheild strong is enuff for 5 people powerful enuff. I tried it with my nephew yesterday and he tried to watch a movie but he couldt do it. Remotely There have 20mb download internet speed.

Oh yea just to reminder there like to use subtiles for movies and tv series. Sometimes it wont with play with that. Im usimg SRT and using opensubtiles.org

I just saw some of my files have mkv files..

I only got the 16gb nividia shield. now my colleage says that nividia sheild pro 500gb is more capable of using it as a plex server. Im so comfused. Cause the 16gb is too low to handle that capable to plex server.

Using another port number is fine as long as you use the same number in your router and in Plex settings and it sounds like you have, so all is well.

For the best chance of successfully sending video across the internet, you need to make sure the file has an overall bitrate of 4Mbps or Less. You can check that by opening the file using MediaInfo (free for PC/Mac) and then click on the 'view' menu and select 'text'.

Or, you can use the 'Get Info' option in Plex, move the mouse over a file's poster and click on ... and select 'Get Info'.

If the video in question has a higher overall bitrate than recommended, then you can use 'Optimise' to help reduce that. See these guides for more information regarding 'Optimise' in Plex.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/213095317-Creating-Optimized-Versions
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/214079348-Example-Media-Optimizer-Usage

Or you can use HandBrake (free for PC/Mac) or any similar software to re-encode the file/s.

The preferred format to use is MP4 H.264/AAC or AVC/AAC as this is the most compatible format across the most devices.

There may be some settings in Plex that you need to setup also, but you will have to ask about that in the Nvidia Shield forum as I am not aware of what the best settings are to use with the Shield for remote access.

It will also be important that your friend uses the correct settings also for the device he is using, so make sure you mention the device he uses to watch your videos with and that he wants to use subtitles as well.

The Nvidia Shield forum is here: https://forums.plex.tv/categories/nvidia-shield

Regards,
    Andy M.

@trumpy81 said:
    Using another port number is fine as long as you use the same number in your router and in Plex settings and it sounds like you have, so all is well.

For the best chance of successfully sending video across the internet, you need to make sure the file has an overall bitrate of 4Mbps or Less. You can check that by opening the file using MediaInfo (free for PC/Mac) and then click on the 'view' menu and select 'text'.

Or, you can use the 'Get Info' option in Plex, move the mouse over a file's poster and click on ... and select 'Get Info'.

If the video in question has a higher overall bitrate than recommended, then you can use 'Optimise' to help reduce that. See these guides for more information regarding 'Optimise' in Plex.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/213095317-Creating-Optimized-Versions
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/214079348-Example-Media-Optimizer-Usage

Or you can use HandBrake (free for PC/Mac) or any similar software to re-encode the file/s.

The preferred format to use is MP4 H.264/AAC or AVC/AAC as this is the most compatible format across the most devices.

There may be some settings in Plex that you need to setup also, but you will have to ask about that in the Nvidia Shield forum as I am not aware of what the best settings are to use with the Shield for remote access.

It will also be important that your friend uses the correct settings also for the device he is using, so make sure you mention the device he uses to watch your videos with and that he wants to use subtitles as well.

The Nvidia Shield forum is here: https://forums.plex.tv/categories/nvidia-shield

hey trumpy81

i got a bit of an issue hope you can help with this.... as for i got my nvidia sheild as a plex server. and my synology as a file storge..

i been using opensubtiles with synology when i use PMS on the synology.. when i use the nividia sheild now i cant get any subtiles at all. or like to automat get the subtiles.... i dont know how to get that back now :( i liked that so i didt need to get subtiles online for my files.

You need to configure the OpenSubtitles.org agent and make sure it is turned on. You also need to enter your OpenSubtitles.org account details in the agent settings (Gear icon). You will find them in Plex settings->server->agents.

Regards,
    Andy M.

I have a similar setup to you.

This is the issue with the Shield not being able to get to the PMS (channels) folder. (and DB)
    I have Sub Zero Subtitles as a channel on my PC PMS ( and Synology) checking for subtitles.
    I have SRT subtitles and when using my Shield as my PMS (my back up server) it sees those subtitles..

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

@spikemixture said:

This is the issue with the Shield not being able to get to the PMS (channels) folder. (and DB)
    I have Sub Zero Subtitles as a channel on my PC PMS ( and Synology) checking for subtitles.
    I have SRT subtitles and when using my Shield as my PMS (my back up server) it sees those subtitles..

I just install sub Zero on pms nyt I have both sub Zero and open subtiles.org checke.. it seem like sub Zero is delayed ok the movies is there someway to fix this

@zeccox said:

@spikemixture said:

I just install sub Zero on pms nyt I have both sub Zero and open subtiles.org checke.. it seem like sub Zero is delayed ok the movies is there someway to fix this

How did you install Sub zero on your Shield?