If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

BUG: Plex improperly forces transcoding HEVC content to chromecast ultra in android app

beepboop141beepboop141 Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The title is fairly informative: If you have HEVC video content, even at 1080 or 720, and at bitrates and resolutions that need no transcoding, chromecasting from plex for android to a chromecast ultra forces the transcode of HEVC to h264. The chromecast ultra natively supports HEVC, so this is a problem.

Logs can be provided if necessary, but this is incredibly easy to reproduce and I know others who have experienced the same issue.

Plex Pass users, please check the following issues. If you agree, please 'like' the first post in the thread in order to vote for it.
Support Naming Local Media TV Shows
Support Changing Folder Icons
Support Plex Cloud and Cloud Sync On Any FTP Server
Give Plex Members a Development Roadmap

Answers

• masonenglishmasonenglish Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue

• Jose00Jose00 Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Try using an older version of the Android App. The latest ones with the quality settings seem to have broken this. I think I had success going back to 5.9.x

• StrongestOfMenStrongestOfMen Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've started using the BubbleUpNp app/server to play all of my 4k/hevc/h265 content on my chromecast. I have been trying for a couple weeks to get plex to direct play this content, with no luck. I have the profile setup to recognize directplay for this content, no luck!

I have a theory, maybe someone out there will be able to verify it:
    The gen 1 and 2 chromecast only supports h264, whereas the ultra has support for hevc/h265. My theory is that when plex asks for the renderer's info, it is not recognizing the ultra, just seeing it as a regular gen 1 or 2 cc. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? With all the hubub out there about plex/ cc ultra, you would think they would get on this!

• romanplextvromanplextv Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2

same issue with 4k stream with chromecast ultra....
    how to disable transcoding? it's killing my unraid atom 8 cores server.