If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Transcoding bug: image zoomed in when transcoded

KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just tried watching a file on my ShieldTV (AndroidTV app) streamed from the same ShieldTV's PMS.

Everything was just updated to the latest versions.

When direct playing, everything is fine. When I request a lower bitrate, the server transcodes but I end up not seeing the whole video image anymore, it looks like the transcoders crops the output... I only see the top left corner zoomed in!?

Included logs from the server.
File's info:
Media

Video Resolution 1080p
Duration 1:56:05
Bitrate 3591 kbps
Width 1920
Height 1040
Aspect Ratio 1.85
Container MP4
Video Frame Rate 24p
Web Optimized Yes
Has 64bit Offsets 1
Video Profile high
Part

Duration 1:56:05
File 01 Back to the Future - 1985 Eng Fre Ita Spa Rus Multi-Subs 1080p [H264-mp4].mp4
Size 2.91 GB
Container MP4
Has 64bit Offsets 1
Web Optimized Yes
Video Profile high
Codec H264
Bitrate 2554 kbps
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Color Range tv
Color Space bt709
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 1040
Level 4.1
Profile high
Ref Frames 4
Stream Identifier 1
Width 1920
Codec AAC
Channels Stereo
Language English
Profile lc
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
Stream Identifier 2
Codec AC3
Channels 5.1
Bitrate 384 kbps
Language English
Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
Stream Identifier 3

Comments

  • Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,417Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Just guessing but you might be running into a manifestation of a bug I reported some time ago involving anamorphic content and hardware assisted transcoding on the Shield.

    Go into advanced transcoding settings on the Shield's server and try turning hardware assisted off. It might not help but it might and it can't hurt to try.

    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Very weird.

    I tried the same file from the server using PMP on my PC, same output.

    I then tried the same file from my Galaxy S7 with fully updated app. I couldn't select a specific bitrate, but I turned on the "convert automatically" option, which disabled direct play, and that transcode displayed fine on my phone.

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @Elijah_Baley said:
    Just guessing but you might be running into a manifestation of a bug I reported some time ago involving anamorphic content and hardware assisted transcoding on the Shield.

    Go into advanced transcoding settings on the Shield's server and try turning hardware assisted off. It might not help but it might and it can't hurt to try.

    You could be right, but there's no point turning it off, the Shield's CPU is not powerful enough to transcode anything without GPU acceleration.

  • Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,417Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @KarlDag said:

    @Elijah_Baley said:
    Just guessing but you might be running into a manifestation of a bug I reported some time ago involving anamorphic content and hardware assisted transcoding on the Shield.

    Go into advanced transcoding settings on the Shield's server and try turning hardware assisted off. It might not help but it might and it can't hurt to try.

    You could be right, but there's no point turning it off, the Shield's CPU is not powerful enough to transcode anything without GPU acceleration.

    Actually in testing I was able to have a single stream play fine transcoded.

    I have given up on my Shield ever being a good server as the developers seem uninterested in fixing basic flaws. It works but it is not near as good as even a fairly low priced real computer.

    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @Elijah_Baley said:

    @KarlDag said:

    @Elijah_Baley said:
    Just guessing but you might be running into a manifestation of a bug I reported some time ago involving anamorphic content and hardware assisted transcoding on the Shield.

    Go into advanced transcoding settings on the Shield's server and try turning hardware assisted off. It might not help but it might and it can't hurt to try.

    You could be right, but there's no point turning it off, the Shield's CPU is not powerful enough to transcode anything without GPU acceleration.

    Actually in testing I was able to have a single stream play fine transcoded.

    I have given up on my Shield ever being a good server as the developers seem uninterested in fixing basic flaws. It works but it is not near as good as even a fairly low priced real computer.

    I only use this device for specific use cases: in our camping trailer, and now in a cottage we rented for a week. Theoretically all files will be used locally so I shouldn't even require transcoding... but I know what you're saying, it does seem this way.

    Then again, Nvidia litterally JUST fixed the samba issue and 10bit HEVC issue, so obviously someone somewhere is working on it.

  • Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,417Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @KarlDag said:

    @Elijah_Baley said:

    @KarlDag said:

    @Elijah_Baley said:
    Just guessing but you might be running into a manifestation of a bug I reported some time ago involving anamorphic content and hardware assisted transcoding on the Shield.

    Go into advanced transcoding settings on the Shield's server and try turning hardware assisted off. It might not help but it might and it can't hurt to try.

    You could be right, but there's no point turning it off, the Shield's CPU is not powerful enough to transcode anything without GPU acceleration.

    Actually in testing I was able to have a single stream play fine transcoded.

    I have given up on my Shield ever being a good server as the developers seem uninterested in fixing basic flaws. It works but it is not near as good as even a fairly low priced real computer.

    I only use this device for specific use cases: in our camping trailer, and now in a cottage we rented for a week. Theoretically all files will be used locally so I shouldn't even require transcoding... but I know what you're saying, it does seem this way.

    Then again, Nvidia litterally JUST fixed the samba issue and 10bit HEVC issue, so obviously someone somewhere is working on it.

    I think that department is patterned after the "Fairy Godmother" department in the military.

    There are three departments in the military that handle assignments and transfers.
    1. The 'standard operations' department.
    2. The 'dirty tricks' department.
    3. The 'Fairy godmother' department.
    The first two handle 99.99% of all assignments and transfers but the other 0.01% is sent to the "fairy godmother' department. That department consists of a single G5 clerk who is out sick a lot of the time and when she is there she spends most of her time knitting. But, once in a while, she will put down her knitting and do something nice to something on her desk."
    Paraphrased from memory from "The Glory Road" by Robert Heinlein.

    The Shield development seems to be being handled in the same way and the "godmother" is mostly out sick or knitting.

    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

  • adamska46adamska46 Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 16

    Same problem here, seems to have appeared in latest 1.7.3 PMS update, but not sure

    PMS : NVIDIA Shield TV

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @StSimm1 @kinoCharlino can you comment or point whoever the shield PMS Dev is please? Thanks

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @BigWheel @OttoKerner can you guys comment? Known issue? I don't know who the Shield dev is.

  • Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,417Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @KarlDag said:
    ... I don't know who the Shield dev is.

    I do not think anyone knows. It is a carefully guarded secret. Or maybe they do not want to open anyone up to ridicule.

    Given the speed of movement and response to this and other bugs I am not even sure there is a developer. It is much like there is someone who, when they have absolutely nothing else to do, will spend an hour or two fiddling around with the Android Plex code.

    I am real glad I do not depend on the Plex/Android system and use it only as a plaything. I might be completely sour on Plex if I needed the Android/Plex system for my daily use.

    BTW: Off topic: I have finally found a unique and effective use for my Shield: It make an excellent cast receptor for "Fox Soccer Matchpass." I have been able to cast all the Confederation's Cup matches from my tablet to my Shield with zero problems. It REALLY beats having to use a computer to get the matches on the big screen and the picture is great.

    I suppose I could get the same effect with a Chromcast but then I would not have a "real" remote control for pause and play.

    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @Elijah_Baley said:

    @KarlDag said:
    ... I don't know who the Shield dev is.

    I do not think anyone knows. It is a carefully guarded secret. Or maybe they do not want to open anyone up to ridicule.

    Given the speed of movement and response to this and other bugs I am not even sure there is a developer. It is much like there is someone who, when they have absolutely nothing else to do, will spend an hour or two fiddling around with the Android Plex code.

    I am real glad I do not depend on the Plex/Android system and use it only as a plaything. I might be completely sour on Plex if I needed the Android/Plex system for my daily use.

    BTW: Off topic: I have finally found a unique and effective use for my Shield: It make an excellent cast receptor for "Fox Soccer Matchpass." I have been able to cast all the Confederation's Cup matches from my tablet to my Shield with zero problems. It REALLY beats having to use a computer to get the matches on the big screen and the picture is great.

    I suppose I could get the same effect with a Chromcast but then I would not have a "real" remote control for pause and play.

    Elijah, I have been very happy with Plex on Android both with the mobile interface and AndroidTV. The server on the Shield could be better, but highjacking this thread will not fix your issues.

    BTW Chromecast can be paused with your TVs remote if the TV supports HDMI CEC.

  • vibbanvibban Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 21

    I have The same problem.. This 8hour carride is gonna cost huge amount of data :)
    Latest update did this.

  • jonathanrnjonathanrn Posts: 18Members Plex Pass

    I'm having this happen too but it works fine on the SHIELD itself, but is zoomed on my phone and in the web interface.

  • Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,417Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @jonathanrn said:
    I'm having this happen too but it works fine on the SHIELD itself, but is zoomed on my phone and in the web interface.

    The Shield direct plays almost all content. The problem manifests when the Shield must transcode content with the anamorphic flag set and hardware transcoding is used.

    It is actually pretty easy to reproduce and, in another thread, I provided detailed logs and info but, so far, the movement on this toward a fix has not been seen.

    It might help if others provided logs when the problem appears.
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

    I really have little hope of a fix but it never hurts to give the developers/other folks as much info as possible.

    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

  • chrisallenchrisallen New ZealandPosts: 646Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    We are currently investigating this regression and hope to have a fix for it out soon. Apologies for this issue.

    (no private messages for support unless requested, please)

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @chrisallen said:
    We are currently investigating this regression and hope to have a fix for it out soon. Apologies for this issue.

    Thanks!

  • chrisallenchrisallen New ZealandPosts: 646Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    This issue only affects the 1.7.3 Shield PMS version m, which is only available to users signed up to the BETA on the platform. We have a fix for the issue that is being tested this morning, and will be included in next weeks release.

    (no private messages for support unless requested, please)

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @chrisallen said:
    This issue only affects the 1.7.3 Shield PMS version m, which is only available to users signed up to the BETA on the platform. We have a fix for the issue that is being tested this morning, and will be included in next weeks release.

    Awesome, thanks!

    I assume when you say the beta version, you mean the Shield experience beta? Otherwise, how do I opt out of a PMS beta?

  • stephenspeicherstephenspeicher Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Will the fix also address the dive in transcoding speed performance? I discovered the zoom bug because I was looking for work arounds for the fact that I'm not getting tons of server not powerful enough stops.

  • KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @chrisallen said:
    This issue only affects the 1.7.3 Shield PMS version m, which is only available to users signed up to the BETA on the platform. We have a fix for the issue that is being tested this morning, and will be included in next weeks release.

    Fixed now, thanks!

Sign In or Register to comment.