If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Stopped working on my ATV3 - tried update, still no luck; Plexconnect no plex library sections

OlieSmithOlieSmith Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Hello,

I was having a couple of issues with Plex on an older version - the thumbnails wouldn't properly load on ATV and when you tried to play any media it would either say 'accessing trailers' (or words to that affect with a spinning loading symbol) and then basically time out, or it would throw a media error. Prior to this, it's been fine and I've not changed any settings.

So I decided in my wisdom to update PMS to the latest version. I can get into Plex fine now via trailers on the ATV, but it says 'plexconnect no plex library sections' if I go to the settings I can see it finds one plex media server, I can sign in as my ID and also in the one below that says home, so they both have my ID but I still get the same error. Also, after I've signed in, I notice that PMS found changes from 1 to 0, so I'm not sure if that's connected?

But yeah, I can't access my library. I downloaded the app for android on my phone and it streams content from my PMS like a charm.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• moody_bluemoody_blue Posts: 2,777Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited June 18

Sometimes the ATV needs a restore (it's a operation that reloads its internal SW and clears all its memory, including certificates). I would start with restore, and then reload the existing certificates in the ATV.

I've also read some of your old posts, the machines where you have PlexConnect and/or Plex Media Server installed need fixed IP's. A Server always needs a fixed IP. Maybe you have already corrected this, but if not, please do it now.

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.3.0229 + PMS 1.9.3 + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-230417

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP

No support via PM unless requested by me

• OlieSmithOlieSmith Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@moody_blue said:
    Sometimes the ATV needs a restore (it's a operation that reloads its internal SW and clears all its memory, including certificates). I would start with restore, and then reload the existing certificates in the ATV.

I've also read some of your old posts, the machines where you have PlexConnect and/or Plex Media Server installed need fixed IP's. A Server always needs a fixed IP. Maybe you have already corrected this, but if not, please do it now.

Thanks moody_blue, i'll try and restore the ATV and reload the certs. I forget now, but is it just the restore bit on adding the Trailers in ATV I need to do?

I fixed the problems from before, yes, thanks. Very helpful!

In the ATV you need (if you are using trailers to access Plex):

1) Restore (it will take ~10 minutes)
    2) Select 'General' and select 'Network'
    3) set the DNS server to the network connection to the IP address of the machine where you run PlexConnect
    4) Again Select 'General' and now only highlight 'Send Data To Apple'
    5) briefly press 'Play' on the remote.
    6) Select 'Add Profile"
    7) Enter http://trailers.apple.com/trailers.cer to install certificates

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.3.0229 + PMS 1.9.3 + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-230417

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

@moody_blue said:
    In the ATV you need (if you are using trailers to access Plex):

1) Restore (it will take ~10 minutes)
    2) Select 'General' and select 'Network'
    3) set the DNS server to the network connection to the IP address of the machine where you run PlexConnect
    4) Again Select 'General' and now only highlight 'Send Data To Apple'
    5) briefly press 'Play' on the remote.
    6) Select 'Add Profile"
    7) Enter http://trailers.apple.com/trailers.cer to install certificates

Hi, I've reset the ATV (it wouldn't let me do the restore as threw an error trying to update the software?) and all the settings got reset, changed the DNS server and fixed the IP of the ATV, added the trailers profile but it's still not working.

I can ping the ATV from the PC the PMS is running on fine, and like I say, I can access Plex but it's just not showing my library; "Plexconnect no plex library sections"

Do you have any other suggestions?

I'm getting this in the log:

20:06:01 PlexAPI: No Response from Plex Media Server
    20:06:01 PlexAPI: We failed to reach a server. Reason: [Errno 11004] getaddrinfo failed
    20:06:01 PlexAPI: Traceback:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PlexConnect-master\PlexAPI.py", line 432, in getXMLFromPMS
        response = urllib2.urlopen(request, timeout=20)
      File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 154, in urlopen
        return opener.open(url, data, timeout)
      File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 431, in open
        response = self._open(req, data)
      File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 449, in _open
        '_open', req)
      File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 409, in _call_chain
        result = func(*args)
      File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 1240, in https_open
        context=self._context)
      File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 1197, in do_open
        raise URLError(err)
    URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 11004] getaddrinfo failed>

20:06:01 PlexAPI: Servers (local, plex.tv, MyPlex): 1

edited June 19

About not being able to restore, first thing to do is put DNS in automatic and allow Apple updates.

About the error in Python, what is your Settings.cfg file ? Unless you use the ATV to view contents from your friends (or use plex pass features such as plex cloud) it's preferrable to have something like:

enable_plexgdm = False
    ip_pms = 10.100.10.100 (replace 10.100.10.100 with your PMS IP)

This will limit PlexConnect to support a single (local) PMS, but whenever you click on trailers you will enter Plex almost instantaneously.

• la3y@rambler.rula3y@rambler.ru Posts: 1Members

I'm having the very same problem after one of the latest PMS updates. Any chance to fix it?