Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

copying library/settings from one system to another

chenkschenks Members Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

ok so i've had a bit of a system fail.. i have PMS on a raspberry pi... but someone went wrong and now it sticks during boot... so i've done a fresh install of the OS (and PMS) on the pi. i have access to the old SD card in a virtualbox. so is it possible to copy over the library/config/settings etc from the old SD card to the new SD card so that PMS will be all set up as if it never changed?

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,586 Plex Team Member

If the old pathnames resolve the same locations, the process of copying and then updating is very straight forward.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

In the spirit of this article, if pathnames are the same, a tarball of ./Library copied and untarred on the second system is a full clone. of the original.

The only care which must be taken is the UUID information in Preferences.xml because Plex.tv will see them as the same server. Therefore, I recommend getting the database up to date after cloning and simply delete `Preferences.xml and create a new server instance. It will give you the traditional first-run wizard. Sign in, don't create libraries, essentially skipping your way through to the Dashboard. When you've finished, your existing library sections will be there waiting for you.

• chenkschenks Members Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

i will give it a try

well i have the old SD card mounted in a virtualbox, so i can copy the files.
    worryingly though, in the specific folder with all the files, the preferences.xml file has a red X over it.

this usually means the file is not there, or it is symlink to a file that it can't find??

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,586 Plex Team Member

Use the command line as root.. or be the Admin

in the end i just set it all up as a new plex system.