Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Chromecast, android Hotspot, no wifi

dkerleedkerlee Members, Plex Pass Posts: 108 Plex Pass

I assume that normally a Chromecast works via local wifi. But in this place, I have no wifi. Can I turn on Hotspot on the phone, get the chromecast to sign onto that network, then cast android plex to that Chromecast and TV?

Answers

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,274 Plex Pass

You should try and see. Have you tried connecting your Chromecast to your phone's hotspot? Give it a shot and let us know how that goes.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• bunklungbunklung Members, Plex Pass Posts: 184 Plex Pass

This is a known bug and has been fixed by Google INTERNALLY. It will be released to the public via a Google Play Services update at some unknown time in the future. https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/62378390

• jtr165jtr165 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

I thought I read that Google purposely removed this? That a chromecast will no longer be 'discoverable' on a mobile hotspot network, regardless of device trying to push content to it (it used to be that you needed a 3rd device, the phone used as the hotspot could not throw anything to the CC iirc.)

google definitely made a statement about it a month or two ago, saying it was due to chromecasts needing a certain degree of 'stability' that a mobile connection simply doesn't offer. Which was probably BS and related to heat from carriers or something.

But the above link does show it's something they're trying to remedy?

• dkerleedkerlee Members, Plex Pass Posts: 108 Plex Pass

I put Rasplex on my Raspberry Pi 2. I had to use a usb keyboard to get it onto my phones Hotspot. But once I did, I could seamlessly control the Rasplex with the same phone that was also doing Hotspot.