If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Android application transcodes everything to chomecast while from web player does direct playback.

joseapariciogjoseapariciog Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello playing content from my local server the android application transcodes everything to chomecast whereas from web player does direct playback when I send it to chromecast. Which is a problem since the server is small and I want my son to put his movies in his room from his mobile as he had done sota hour without needing more stories. I have tried it from different android devices and in all cases transcodes even the optimized videos.

Answers

• lobanov.antonlobanov.anton Posts: 76Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I fully confirm this. The problem appeared after version 5.10.X. Please solved it.

• btaylor32185btaylor32185 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've found that this problem only occurs for videos where the bitrate is higher than 20 mbps. I hope that the developers are looking at this.

My all videos higher than 20 mbps. This is real problem for me.

• joseapariciogjoseapariciog Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have many videos of less than 20 mbps and low resolutions 720p 480p and even less so transcodes them, while from the web player does not ... really is a big hassle. Please solve it.

• mobartonmobarton Posts: 41Members Plex Pass

Try shutting off 'Play Smaller Videos at Original Quality' in the client. I didn't have this exact issue, but it could be same cause. Be good to know...
    see
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/277767/play-smaller-videos-at-original-quality-messes-up-some-channels#latest

Thanks for your answers, the videos in low resolution and reproduce them directly but the high continue the same, sending to the chromecast from the web player does direct playback or direct streaming of audio and video, but in viewing it from the android application is still transcoding everything :(

Please, could anything be done about it?

• Kyle VerryKyle Verry Posts: 293Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the opposite problem: I NEED to have the videos Transcoded for the Chromecast to play, otherwise they stop playing after a few minutes!! This only occurs on Direct Play. If I drop the quality, thereby forcing transcoded material, then the Chromecast plays like a champ.

I want the "Disable/Enable Direct Play" back in Android or iOS! Please!

edited August 23

Hello I see that they are coming out updates of the application Plex for android and it does not solve the problem that I comment. I'll put an example in case I'm doing something wrong ...

Sending a video of 11.5 mbps H.264 with DTS audio from my local server to the Chromecast:

Web Application: Transmitting Video - Transcoding DTS to ACC or AC3 I can not remember right now but it looks perfectly fluid.

Android Application: Transcoding H.264 to H.264 (Because ???) - Transcoding DTS to ACC or AC3 I can not remember right now but my server is not powerful enough for this operation and gives pauses.

Really, there is no solution?

The problem is still in last 6.4.1 version

• SantostfmSantostfm Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been having the exact same issue. Webplayer chromecasts fine but the app tries to transcode and is ridiculously slow. I can't even get it to play without buffering in really bad quality.