If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Media Libraries Not Updating - Synology NAS

michaelaswoodmichaelaswood Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi All,
Ever since replacing an HDD in my NAS, I've noticed that when I add new content to my media folders on my NAS that Plex Media Server does not update. If I attempt to add a new folder to the library you can browse and see the newly updated content, but Plex never updates. I can only assume it had something to do with adding a new disk to my array, and in the Synology NAS repairing the raid something has happened to Plex. I am also unable to delete my library folders. I tried uninstalling the Plex app from my NAS, and reinstalling it but I guess all the configure/database is kept in case you reinstall.

Any assistance would be very much welcome.

Best Answer

Answers

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 9,680Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited June 19

Check Plex settings->server->library->show advanced and make sure that:

1. Update my library automatically is enabled
    2. Run a partial scan when changes are detected is disabled
    3. Update my library periodically is disabled

See Q18 on the Synology FAQ's page and RESET your file permissions, link in my signature.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • michaelaswoodmichaelaswood Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@trumpy81 said:
    Check Plex settings->server->library->show advanced and make sure that:

1. Update my library automatically is enabled
    2. Run a partial scan when changes are detected is disabled
    3. Update my library periodically is disabled

See Q18 on the Synology FAQ's page and RESET your file permissions, link in my signature.

Hi @trumpy81,

Thank you for your suggestion. I've launched Putty, logged into my NAS via SSH, tried to change the directory 'cd volume2' as this is my volume, but I get the following. 'sh: cd: volume2: no such file or directory'

Many thanks

Hi @trumpy81 ,

I managed to eventually RESET my file permissions for both my media folder and the Plex folder but this didn't work. The scan of the folders still does not detect any new content.

edited June 19

Did you update the library manually after setting the permissions?

Are your files named correctly and placed into the correct type of library/folder?

EG: Movies go in the Movies folder, TV Shows go in the TV Shows folder

I highly recommend using FileBot to automatically rename your files.

FileBot for Synology:
    https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1802

Plex naming schemes for FileBot:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot/p1

FileBot Introductory Videos:
    http://www.filebot.net/getting-started/

FileBot may also be installed on a PC/Mac/Linux machine.

Also, would you kindly grab your Plex logs and post them here. You will find a convenient button in Plex settings->server->help. Attach the .zip file to your next post, thanks.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

Hi, Thank you again for getting back to me.

Yes I did a manual scan but nothing appeared in the recently updated section, nor if I just searched for it.

Yes, I don't have a root folder named Media, I have separate root folders for the Media itself e.g. One named Video, TV Shows, Photos etc. It's been working fine, up until I had to swap out an HDD and repair the raid. Ever since any new content hasn't been picked up by Plex. All of my current movie files are named: titleofthemove (date).mkv etc

Please find attached my Server logs.

Many thanks

Michael

Thank you so much, you are indeed a legend.

I wasn't sure it was going to work to start with as the oldest backup was after the HDD swap out, but I'm glad to say it started to fetch all my movie data and has indeed updated.

So once again, thank you very much.

No problem and I am glad to hear that your problem appears to be solved.

Happy Plexing! :)

Regards,
    Andy M.