If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Media Libraries Not Updating - Synology NAS

michaelaswoodmichaelaswood Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi All,
Ever since replacing an HDD in my NAS, I've noticed that when I add new content to my media folders on my NAS that Plex Media Server does not update. If I attempt to add a new folder to the library you can browse and see the newly updated content, but Plex never updates. I can only assume it had something to do with adding a new disk to my array, and in the Synology NAS repairing the raid something has happened to Plex. I am also unable to delete my library folders. I tried uninstalling the Plex app from my NAS, and reinstalling it but I guess all the configure/database is kept in case you reinstall.

Any assistance would be very much welcome.

Best Answer

Answers

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 10,677Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited June 2017

Check Plex settings->server->library->show advanced and make sure that:

1. Update my library automatically is enabled
    2. Run a partial scan when changes are detected is disabled
    3. Update my library periodically is disabled

See Q18 on the Synology FAQ's page and RESET your file permissions, link in my signature.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • michaelaswoodmichaelaswood Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@trumpy81 said:

See Q18 on the Synology FAQ's page and RESET your file permissions, link in my signature.

Hi @trumpy81,

Thank you for your suggestion. I've launched Putty, logged into my NAS via SSH, tried to change the directory 'cd volume2' as this is my volume, but I get the following. 'sh: cd: volume2: no such file or directory'

Many thanks

Hi @trumpy81 ,

I managed to eventually RESET my file permissions for both my media folder and the Plex folder but this didn't work. The scan of the folders still does not detect any new content.

edited June 2017

Did you update the library manually after setting the permissions?

Are your files named correctly and placed into the correct type of library/folder?

EG: Movies go in the Movies folder, TV Shows go in the TV Shows folder

I highly recommend using FileBot to automatically rename your files.

FileBot for Synology:
    https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1802

Plex naming schemes for FileBot:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot/p1

FileBot Introductory Videos:
    http://www.filebot.net/getting-started/

FileBot may also be installed on a PC/Mac/Linux machine.

Also, would you kindly grab your Plex logs and post them here. You will find a convenient button in Plex settings->server->help. Attach the .zip file to your next post, thanks.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

Hi, Thank you again for getting back to me.

Yes I did a manual scan but nothing appeared in the recently updated section, nor if I just searched for it.

Yes, I don't have a root folder named Media, I have separate root folders for the Media itself e.g. One named Video, TV Shows, Photos etc. It's been working fine, up until I had to swap out an HDD and repair the raid. Ever since any new content hasn't been picked up by Plex. All of my current movie files are named: titleofthemove (date).mkv etc

Please find attached my Server logs.

Many thanks

Michael

Thank you so much, you are indeed a legend.

I wasn't sure it was going to work to start with as the oldest backup was after the HDD swap out, but I'm glad to say it started to fetch all my movie data and has indeed updated.

So once again, thank you very much.

No problem and I am glad to hear that your problem appears to be solved.

Happy Plexing! :)

Regards,
    Andy M.

• amrlotusamrlotus Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 18

@trumpy81 said:

hi trumpy
    i have two Synology NAS 1815+ in two places one is updating the library if i add or delete any movie the other i have to do it manually i tried everything for it to work no luck (unless i enable update periodically every XX which i currently disabled) any idea what i should try please
    i try to upload the file but get an error file failed to upload here (Plex media scanner.rar or .txt)

In future, please disable verbose logging and leave it disabled, unless you are asked to enable it by a Ninja or Plex employee, thanks.

Also, I would need to see ALL of your logs. See Q13 on the Synology FAQ's page, link in my signature.

See Q5 on the Synology FAQ's page and move your media to the recommended location, link in my signature.

Also, clean up your file/folder names. I highly recommend using FileBot to automatically rename your files for use with Plex.

FileBot for Synology:
    https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1802

Plex naming schemes for FileBot:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot/p1
    http://www.filebot.net/naming.html

FileBot Introductory Videos:
    http://www.filebot.net/getting-started/

Open Package Center > Settings > Package Sources and add this address: https://get.filebot.net/syno/
    You will then be able to install FileBot on your NAS from Package Center > Community.

FileBot may also be installed on a PC/Mac/Linux machine.

In the meantime, make sure the Plex shared folder has R/W permissions for both admin and Plex in DSM Control Panel > Shared Folders.

Also, make sure your media folders/files have the correct permissions. See Q18 on the Synology FAQ's page, link in my signature.

Regards,
    Andy M.

edited April 18

trumpy thanks for your feed back
    I'm doing what you said right now
    1- I confirm plex and admin user already have R/W access to plex directory
    2-i added file bot to the sources and proceeding (although when I do a manual library scan newly added movie or TV Show is added no problem)
    3- I added permissions for admin and plex on video folder (which has all subfolders for tvshows movies documentary etc.)

I'm attaching the plex log after turning off verbose as you asked
    thanks again

hello trumpy
    I was doing the FAQ Q18 as you recommended can you please elaborate this note please

"Note: Do not simply read the permissions, you should reset them regardless. Set the permissions to 600 first, then go back and set them to 755 or 644 respectively. This ensures that the permissions have been re-written to disk properly."

does this mean
    find ./Media_folder_name_here -type d -exec chmod 600 {} \;
    find ./Media_folder_name_here -type f -exec chmod 600 {} \;
    then
    find ./Media_folder_name_here -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    find ./Media_folder_name_here -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    then
    chown -R admin:users Media_folder_name_here

I don't wanna get this wrong :)

also if I have one video folder with all subfolders for library I can do it on the Video folder or do I have to do each separate subfolder

find ./Video/TVshows -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    find ./Video/Movies -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    find ./Video/Documentary -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

thanks

Q18 FAQ Synology

For your Media Folder/s:
    cd volume1
    The commands above perform the following functions:
    cd changes to the directory you wish to work in, in this case, volume1 (volume1 maybe volume2, volume3 etc.).
    find searches for the folder you specify and changes it's permissions to 755.
    find again searches for the folder you specify and changes the permissions for all files in that folder to 644
    chown sets the user and group owner of the folder and the files it contains to what you specify. In this case it sets the admin as user and the group to the users group.
    Note: Do not simply read the permissions, you should reset them regardless. Set the permissions to 600 first, then go back and set them to 755 or 644 respectively. This ensures that the permissions have been re-written to disk properly.

edited April 18

Are these logs from the NAS with the problem?

I do not see any significant errors in these logs at all, Plex appears to be running just fine.

The only issue I see is that some of your TV Shows need to have Refresh Metadata performed on them, because they have not been matched, probably due to your file naming. They may need to be matched manually or Plex Danced and you may need toi correct the filenames.

Do note, if your Seinfeld series is organised by DVD order, then it will not match correctly at all. This is because the file naming shown at TVDB is not supported by Plex. I would advise that you use Air Date ordering with Seinfeld.

Plex Dance (© OttoKerner):

1. Remove offending files from your Plex Media Folder. (Make sure Plex cannot see the files at all)
    2. Scan Library Files (Not 'Refresh All Metadata')
    3. Optimise Database
    4. Empty Trash
    5. Clean Bundles
    6. Replace offending file/s into your Plex Media Folder.
    7. Update Library

Wait for each step to complete before moving to the next step.

Regards,
    Andy M.

Dear Trumpy
    Yes this is the Server with the problem
    thanks to you I think I have an idea now of the reason for the library not being updated automatically
    I have Video Folder and in the folder this is alist from putty
    cd /video
    ls -alr
    drwx------+ 33 admin users 4096 Apr 18 09:17 TV Shows
    drwxr-xr-x 7 admin users 4096 Mar 27 21:42 Romance
    drwx------+ 8 yassin users 4096 Apr 17 21:47 Movies 4K
    drwx------+ 34 admin users 20480 Apr 18 09:17 Movies
    drwx------+ 3 admin users 4096 Nov 14 2016 Home Videos
    drwxrwxrwx+ 3 root users 4096 Apr 18 09:43 @eaDir
    -rwx------+ 1 yassin users 18436 Apr 12 23:52 .DS_Store
    drwx------+ 3 admin users 4096 Apr 16 20:49 Download
    drwx------+ 5 amr users 4096 Apr 17 21:44 Documentary Movies 4K
    drwx------+ 2 amr users 4096 Apr 17 18:33 Documentary Movies
    drwx------+ 4 amr users 4096 Mar 27 21:11 Documentary 4K
    drwx------+ 62 amr users 4096 Nov 25 2016 Documentaries

User amr created the subfolders (Docmunetaries ...etc) those are working fine ? if I add or remove a movie it is scanned
    User admin created subfolder movie and subfolder TV Shows (those are not working automatically update )

so I'm trying now to change the permisions as you recommended in Q18 I'm doing that now with ADMIN user again to rewrite the permission if that didn't work I will change them to amr and see how it goes

@amrlotus said:
    does this mean
    find ./Media_folder_name_here -type d -exec chmod 600 {} \;
    find ./Media_folder_name_here -type f -exec chmod 600 {} \;
    then
    then

I don't wanna get this wrong :)

Yes that is correct. :)

also if I have one video folder with all subfolders for library I can do it on the Video folder or do I have to do each separate subfolder

find ./Video/TVshows -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    find ./Video/Movies -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    find ./Video/Documentary -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

You may run the command on the video folder only, but I recommend you move the files to a folder named Media or similar.

The Video folder is the default folder used by Video Station and it has caused issues with Plex in the past. DSM will index that folder unless you turn off indexing in DSM Control Panel > Indexing Service.

Regards,
    Andy M.

edited April 18

@amrlotus said:
    Dear Trumpy
    thanks to you I think I have an idea now of the reason for the library not being updated automatically

User amr created the subfolders (Docmunetaries ...etc) those are working fine ? if I add or remove a movie it is scanned
    User admin created subfolder movie and subfolder TV Shows (those are not working automatically update )

so I'm trying now to change the permisions as you recommended in Q18 I'm doing that now with ADMIN user again to rewrite the permission if that didn't work I will change them to amr and see how it goes

Doing anything on the NAS, like installing apps, adding media etc... should always be done with your admin account on the NAS. There are subtle differences when using a User account that has admin privileges and those differences can interfere at times.

Rather than disable the admin account, as Synology recommends, I recommend that you use a very strong password and leave the admin account enabled.

EDIT: And yes, you are correct, having folders with different owners may prevent Plex from accessing the folders. Make sure your Media folder has R/W permissions for both admin and Plex.

Regards,
    Andy M.

edited April 18

@trumpy81 said:

@amrlotus said:
    Dear Trumpy

Doing anything on the NAS, like installing apps, adding media etc... should always be done with your admin account on the NAS. There are subtle differences when using a User account that has admin privileges and those differences can interfere at times.

Rather than disable the admin account, as Synology recommends, I recommend that you use a very strong password and leave the admin account enabled.

EDIT: And yes, you are correct, having folders with different owners will prevent Plex from accessing the folders. Make sure your Media folder has R/W permissions for both admin and Plex.

Trumpy You are very right (that's what my son did on his NAS the very first time)
    now I have great news after changing the Video\Movies permissions as your Q18 article whenever I remove or add a movie it gets updated automatically going to to do the same for the rest of the Sub folders in the video folder

Can you please explain how do I find the offending files in the LOG so I can remove them ?

Read through these log files

1. Plex Media Server.log
    2. Plex Media Scanner.log
    3. Plex Media Scanner Analysis.log
    4. Plex Media Scanner Deep Analysis.log

Including the numbered log files for each of the above.

Otherwise, check your files in Plex/Web and any movie, show or music file that does not have at least a description or other data, has not been matched properly and you should use either 'Refresh Metadata' or 'Fix Match' to make sure the file/series/album is properly matched and has all of the available metadata.

Regards,
    Andy M.

edited April 18

There is also a good tool you can use to find files that have not been added to Plex, but exist in your media folders. The tool is called WebTools. It is a plugin that you install in Plex and you can use it to install other plugins, find missing media, manage subtitles and a whole lot more.

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/126254/rel-webtools/p1

The WebTools help wiki can be found here: https://github.com/ukdtom/WebTools.bundle/wiki

There is an installer for Synolog NAS also, you install it the same way you manually install Plex.

https://github.com/ukdtom/WTInstaller/releases/tag/1.2

Regards,
    Andy M.

Trumpy
    Confirming Everything is working now just fine auto updating after all directories have been changed to ADMIN ownership and permissions according to your FAQ Q18 section
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191000/faqs-read-this-first?new=1#Q18
    thanks man