Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex App Windows 10 MF_Media_Engine_Err_Src_Not_Spported

Ok so I have a Windows 10 laptop and tried out the Plex App from the store. In the trial mode it gave me 1 minute of video and audio and I could play anything in my library. I thought cool I'll buy the app for 4.99 since it works. As soon as I bought it the very same videos now come up with this error:

The video failed to play
MF_Media_Engine_Err_Src_Not_Spported

What in the world! Any suggestions?

Answers

• Malcolm37Malcolm37 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 133 Plex Pass

I am having this same issue. Has there been a fix found?

This issue is caused by files that are encoded with EAC-3. I went into the XML files for Windows on the Plex Media Server and removed all instances of eac3. This caused PlexSync to make files that were compatible. Please note, this would have to be done every time a new PMS is released.

• dn0349dn0349 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

what is really strange is it works with the app in the demo but once purchased no go. Microsoft least refunded my 4.99 and as soon as they refunded and the app went back to demo it worked again. crazy.......

• FunkmobileFunkmobile Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

@Malcolm37 said:
    This issue is caused by files that are encoded with EAC-3. I went into the XML files for Windows on the Plex Media Server and removed all instances of eac3. This caused PlexSync to make files that were compatible. Please note, this would have to be done every time a new PMS is released.

I've started two threads about this in the past 12 months and I haven't seen any acknowledgement of the issue. I'm having the same problem with any EAC-3 encoded files when playing on my Surface Book.

Which .xml file did you start to edit to get it working? Right now my fix is to avoid any EAC-3 files at the moment.

• obbiieobbiie Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

I'm also having the exact same issue on a Surface Pro 4 at the latest Win 10 build & updates. Is there any other workaround or fix to this?

• mike.marzanomike.marzano Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

@Malcolm37 said:

Can you please explain specifically which file you changed? Was it Windows 10 Desktop, Windows 10 Mobile, or Windows? And exactly how did you change it? Did you just remove eac3 everywhere it exists? or did you change something specifically?

@mike.marzano said:

@Malcolm37 said:

Can you please explain specifically which file you changed? Was it Windows 10 Desktop, Windows 10 Mobile, or Windows? And exactly how did you change it? Did you just remove eac3 everywhere it exists? or did you change something specifically?

I removed it from all the Windows*.xml. I run Linux on my Plex Media Server so I ran:

perl -pi -e 's/,eac3//' Windows*.xml

• SkarSkar Members, Plex Pass Posts: 185 Plex Pass

So it is in files on the Plex Server, on whatever OS you have your server running?

Can you give and example of a before and after of the command working, so is that command removing a line for replacing eac3 for a space?

Thanks.

1 HPTC (WMC & MyMovies)
    1 Samsung UE22ES5400 (Plex Client), 1 Samsung UE40F7000 (Plex Client), 1 Samsung UE43KS7500
    Plexserver running on Synology DS411+ and Synology DS2413+.

• mike.marzanomike.marzano Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
    edited August 7

@Malcolm37 said:

>

I removed it from all the Windows*.xml. I run Linux on my Plex Media Server so I ran:

perl -pi -e 's/,eac3//' Windows*.xml

Cool thanks!! That worked.... Although I only edited the Windows 10 Desktop.xml

@Skar On my server, i edited -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\Windows 10 Desktop.xml (actually, I backed up the original first, then edited, just in case..)

I changed... (NOTE: Greater than and less than symbols were removed to post)
    TranscodeTargets
    VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,ac3,eac3,mp3" context="streaming"
    VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,ac3,eac3,mp3" context="static"

to
    TranscodeTargets
    VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,mp3" context="streaming"
    VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,mp3" context="static"

Similarly, I found lines with eac3 in them in the DirectPlayProfiles section, and deleted eac3 from them (left the rest of the line the same.)..

Using Notepad++ editor (free) works best to edit.

As I'm writing this reply and looking at my files, it appears I also removed AC3 too... (not sure if this makes a difference or not, I guess I'll have to put AC3 back in there and see... but for now, we only do playback on the Surface Pro when traveling and using headphones, so as long as it plays and has audio, its not a problem).

In any case, after doing this, I tested sync'ing a movie via the Plex app from Microsoft Store that has errored for me... and after making these edits to the XML on my server, rebooting the server, and trying to sync the movie to my Surface Pro 4 (m3 4gig ram), the movie plays fine... no error.