Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Dolby True HD / Atmos drop outs NOW FIXED !

PlaydancePlaydance Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited July 3 in Plex Media Player

ok its a year later since i first posted about Dolby / Atmos drop outs with Plex and still no fix or answer so i am posting this again as a Plex pass member. Dolby True HD and atmos tracks drop about 5 times or so during a movie and when streaming these same tracks to the Roku stick or Roku3 from my Plex windows server it crashes the transcoder on both about every 10 to 15 min , I'm guessing this is all related ? when i select a different audio track everything is fine so i ask what is happening and can it be fixed ? in short , direct play of and movie with Dolby True HD / Atmos from my windows machine will cause audio drop outs every 20 min or so and transcoding these same movies on Roku will stop playback every 10 to 15 min.

Best Answers

Answers

• lisagoodlisagood Posts: 216Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here with PMP.

Logs and further information were provided in this thread:

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/231654/dolby-true-hd-atmos-audio-drop-outs/p1

This issue has been outstanding for many months, can you fix it @sa2000 ?

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,536Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@lisagood said:
    Logs and further information were provided in this thread:

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/231654/dolby-true-hd-atmos-audio-drop-outs/p1

This issue has been outstanding for many months, can you fix it @sa2000 ?

I do not see any fresh evidence there and a lot has changed in the area of transcoding and codecs on the server and Plex Media Player

So please ensure you are on current Plex Pass versions and follow the linked pages above to provide fresh logs and media information and try it with TrueHD and attach your evidence

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

What do you mean by fresh evidence? I am a plex pass holder, and my server and PMP client are fully updated, they update automatically, but alert me first. The issue is still there.

I am not doing any transcoding, I am direct playing. When I bitstream a soundrack which is Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA, I get an audio droput approximately every 23 minutes. I have provided logs and detailed information previously, and nothing come of it.

Is this a known issue?

If I take the time and effort to collect new logs, will you be able to fix it, or will I just be repeating everything that I have done previously? And if I do collect new logs, do you need me to play back the file for a full 25 minutes or so, until the dropout occurs.

The issue may not even show up in the logs, so are you saying that unless I can evidence that it is an issue that it won't be investigated? How do I provide you with evidence if it doesn't show up in the logs. A number of other users have reported the same problem, is that not evidence enough?

How about if you try replicating the issue at your end?

If you direct play a video file with a Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA soundtrack - do you get audio dropouts approximately every 23 minutes? Perhaps you could try that first, as if you can replicate the issue then you can work on it at your end?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,640Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@lisagood said:
    What do you mean by fresh evidence?

I believe he meant for you to provide new logs while using the latest Plex software. The logs you provided in that other thread are quite old.

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@lisagood said:

I believe he meant for you to provide new logs while using the latest Plex software. The logs you provided in that other thread are quite old.

It is really inconvenient to replicate the issue and provide the logs. Will take me a lot of time, and I will have to find this time when I am not at work and my family are not using the system. I have spent a whole day testing and providing logs before and nothing happened in response.

As a number of users have reported the same issue, wouldn't it be easier for the developers to attempt to replicate it on their test systems?

The fault may not even show up in any logs.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,536Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@lisagood said:

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@lisagood said:

It is really inconvenient to replicate the issue and provide the logs. Will take me a lot of time, and I will have to find this time when I am not at work and my family are not using the system. I have spent a whole day testing and providing logs before and nothing happened in response.

As a number of users have reported the same issue, wouldn't it be easier for the developers to attempt to replicate it on their test systems?

I have been discussing this with the development team and attempts to reproduce the problem have failed - in that the issue did not arise. GTX1080 was used with Windows 10 and the dropouts did not occur.

@Ach!lles suggested to user in the main thread here trying out embedded PMP to eliminate the windows WASAPI and Nvidia windows drivers to see if the problem arises.

It may be an Nvidia Windows Driver issue

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

@sa2000 said:

@lisagood said:

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@lisagood said:

I have been discussing this with the development team and attempts to reproduce the problem have failed - in that the issue did not arise. GTX1080 was used with Windows 10 and the dropouts did not occur.

@Ach!lles suggested to user in the main thread here trying out embedded PMP to eliminate the windows WASAPI and Nvidia windows drivers to see if the problem arises.

Thanks for getting back with the additional information.

Using PMP embedded is not an option for me as I need to run other Windows software on the same machine.

I can, however, confirm that the issue does not occur if I use Kodi or MediaPortal to play back the file, which are also using WASAPI and the same Nvidia Drivers. This is with a GTX 1050 on a Windows 10 machine.

Just to clarify, when trying to replicate the issue on your test system, it does not occur at the same timestamp on the video, but after the video has played continuously for around 23 minutes. So, if you start playing back a video with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, and check that the audio is bitstreaming as such to the amp, then leave it playing continuously, listen out after around 23 minutes to 25 minutes for an audio dropout, it lasts just a second or two. It is possible to skip back a minute or so, and watch that part of the film again, no dropout, but then expect a repeat occurrence in another 23 minutes or so, if you continue to watch the film continuously.

• AchillesAchilles Posts: 1,802Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited June 23

@lisagood Appreciate the thorough troubleshooting you have done on your end. I understand you need to use Windows. However can you please use the embedded build on a bootable usb stick to test? We have a theory regarding what the root issue could be, but would really like to see if you can reproduce it with embedded as well. If you are able to reproduce it with embedded it helps to narrow the scope of the root issue down within PMP code.

@Ach!lles said:
    @lisagood Appreciate the thorough troubleshooting you have done on your end. I understand you need to use Windows. However can you please use the embedded build on a bootable usb stick to test? We have a theory regarding what the root issue could be, but would really like to see if you can reproduce it with embedded as well. If you are able to reproduce it with embedded it helps to narrow the scope of the root issue down within PMP code.

Hello, yes, I would be happy to help, especially since you asked so nicely!

I have tried to use PMP embedded once before on an old Mac Mini, but it would not run from the USB stick and insisted on installing itself to the internal SSD.

I can't risk that with the machine you want me to test, as I don't want to have to re-install Windows afterwards, and set everything back up again. If I disconnect the internal SSD drive, then boot to the USB stick where PMP embedded is installed, will it run okay? Is there anything else I need to do?

edited June 23

Oh its a Mac Mini. Embedded has issues booting on Mac Minis. Scratch that idea. What model Mac Mini?

Edit: I read your response again. If that machine is not the Mac Mini, yes unplug the SSD and boot from USB you should be ok to boot without risk to your system.

No, it's okay, the Mac Mini is in a different room.
    The main machine where I am having the issue is a Windows 10 PC,
    My question is, can I boot it to PMP embedded on a USB stick, without breaking the windows install on the internal SSD?

• PlaydancePlaydance Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I know that the open PHT doesn't have the issue for me so I'm using both but rather just use PMP for everything , otherwise everything about Plex in general is outstanding

@lisagood said:
    No, it's okay, the Mac Mini is in a different room.
    The main machine where I am having the issue is a Windows 10 PC,
    My question is, can I boot it to PMP embedded on a USB stick, without breaking the windows install on the internal SSD?

I would just run it live with the SSD disconnected to be on the safe side.

• PlaydancePlaydance Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@lisagood said:

@sa2000 said:

@lisagood said:

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@lisagood said:

Thanks for getting back with the additional information.

Using PMP embedded is not an option for me as I need to run other Windows software on the same machine.

I can, however, confirm that the issue does not occur if I use Kodi or MediaPortal to play back the file, which are also using WASAPI and the same Nvidia Drivers. This is with a GTX 1050 on a Windows 10 machine.

Just to clarify, when trying to replicate the issue on your test system, it does not occur at the same timestamp on the video, but after the video has played continuously for around 23 minutes. So, if you start playing back a video with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, and check that the audio is bitstreaming as such to the amp, then leave it playing continuously, listen out after around 23 minutes to 25 minutes for an audio dropout, it lasts just a second or two. It is possible to skip back a minute or so, and watch that part of the film again, no dropout, but then expect a repeat occurrence in another 23 minutes or so, if you continue to watch the film continuously.

i can confirm the same findings and to reiterate this does not occur with PHT

I have done some more testing. I have an entirely separate set-up in a different room, running an Intel NUC which is connected via HDMI to a Yamaha AVR. The NUC is running Windows 10 64 bit, and the latest version of PMP.

The exact same issue occurs when playing a film with a Dolby True HD soundtrack, there is a brief audio dropout at exactly 23 minutes and 18 seconds.

This replicate what happens on my main machine which is also running Windows 10 64 bit, with a Nvidia GTX 1050. And connected to a Cambridge Audio AVR via HDMI.

Are you absolutely sure that no developers or Plex Ninja's can replicate this issue?

The common denominators seem to be Windows 10 - Plex Media Player - HDMI to an AVR - bitstreaming Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA - audio drops out for a second every 23 minutes and 18 seconds (if the file is left to play that long without being skipped back and forth or paused).

It does mean that you have to wait for 23 minutes and 18 seconds, without touching the machine, in order to complete the test.

edited June 28

@lisagood said:
    I have done some more testing. I have an entirely separate set-up in a different room, running an Intel NUC which is connected via HDMI to a Yamaha AVR. The NUC is running Windows 10 64 bit, and the latest version of PMP.

The exact same issue occurs when playing a film with a Dolby True HD soundtrack, there is a brief audio dropout at exactly 23 minutes and 18 seconds.

This replicate what happens on my main machine which is also running Windows 10 64 bit, with a Nvidia GTX 1050. And connected to a Cambridge Audio AVR via HDMI.

Are you absolutely sure that no developers or Plex Ninja's can replicate this issue?

The common denominators seem to be Windows 10 - Plex Media Player - HDMI to an AVR - bitstreaming Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA - audio drops out for a second every 23 minutes and 18 seconds (if the file is left to play that long without being skipped back and forth or paused).

It does mean that you have to wait for 23 minutes and 18 seconds, without touching the machine, in order to complete the test.

Which NUC? I can try to replicate this on a NUC7i7BNH running Windows 10 Enterprise connected to a Denon AVR-4311CI. Which title movie?

@Ach!lles said:

@lisagood said:

Which NUC? I can try to replicate this on a NUC7i3BNH running Windows 10 Enterprise connected to a Denon AVR-4311CI. Which title movie?

Great! I don't have the NUC model number to hand, but I don't think it matters. The issue has occurred for me on every blu ray rip with a TrueHD or DTS HD MA soundtrack.

As long as your AVR flags that it is receiving one of those audio codecs, let the film play then listen really carefully after it has been playing back for 23 minutes. At 23 minutes and 18 seconds you should notice an audio dropout. It depends what is going on in the soundtrack at that point as to how noticeable it is. If it's dialogue two or three words will be missed. If it's an explosion it will noticeably click to silence for a second or two.

@lisagood said:

@Ach!lles said:

@lisagood said:

Which NUC? I can try to replicate this on a NUC7i3BNH running Windows 10 Enterprise connected to a Denon AVR-4311CI. Which title movie?

Great! I don't have the NUC model number to hand, but I don't think it matters. The issue has occurred for me on every blu ray rip with a TrueHD or DTS HD MA soundtrack.

As long as your AVR flags that it is receiving one of those audio codecs, let the film play then listen really carefully after it has been playing back for 23 minutes. At 23 minutes and 18 seconds you should notice an audio dropout. It depends what is going on in the soundtrack at that point as to how noticeable it is. If it's dialogue two or three words will be missed. If it's an explosion it will noticeably click to silence for a second or two.

I will connect that NUC up later today. Have errands to take care of first today.