Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Google Fiber TV box: "Unable to Cast" video with AC3 / Dolby audio (Debug Logs included)

ACiDxCHRiSTACiDxCHRiST Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
edited June 27 in Google Chromecast

Whenever I try to cast a video with AC3 / Dolby audio to the Google Fiber TV box, it fails and I get a "unable to cast - There was a problem playing this item." error on the TV screen. Video with DTS, FLAC, or AAC audio play successfully.

Plex Media Server:

• Ubuntu Server 17.04 with Kernel 4.10.0-24-generic
  • Plex Media Server v1.7.3.3937-70f781325 linux-ubuntu-x86_64

Casting from:

• Huawei Nexus 6P
  • Android Version: 7.1.2
  • Plex Version: 6.1.1.656 (6a09a7d5)

Casting to:

• Google Fiber TV box
  • Platform Version: gftv200-46.51.2
  • Operating System: Linux 3.19.0-gfiber0+

The timeline of events for the logs is: I tried to cast "10 Cloverfield Lane" with AC3 audio and it failed. I then tried to cast "10 Cloverfield Lane" again and it failed. I then tried to cast "10,000 BC" with DTS audio and it started playing successfully. I let it play for around 30 seconds and then stopped it manually. I then tried to cast "12 Years a Slave" with AC3 audio and it failed. I tried one more time to cast "12 Years a Slave" and it failed.

Answers

• finleymediafinleymedia Members Posts: 1

Have you found a solution? I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 and am thinking about switching to Windows if this is a server problem.

• ACiDxCHRiSTACiDxCHRiST Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
    edited July 31

No I have not.

I have a strong feeling that the issue is in the Android app, or rather the code of the Chromecast app that is transmitted from the Android device that forms the Plex interface on the Chromecast.

The Plex Chromecast applet is informing the Plex server that the device supports AC3 when in reality, it does not. If it simply said that AC3 was not supported, then the Audio would be transcoded to AAC and the movie would play fine.

Movies with DTS audio and even E-AC3 audio work because the Plex server is informed that the Google Fiber TV Box Chromecast device does not support those codecs and the Plex server transcodes the audio to 2 Ch AAC.

I have tested many movies with 5.1 Ch AC3 and 2 Ch AC3 and not a single one will play. I have only tested with the Android Plex app as the casting device and Linux Ubuntu x64 server and Synology Diskstation x64 server.