Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Selecting "Open with Plex" from the Android app sends me to a video info "Las Carpetas"

Hi
I purchased the Plex app on Android a few days as the Chromecast was working fine with subtitles, etc >> great job.
Now i am trying to read videos directly on my mobile (the videos are on my PC with the Plex server), and:
- if I choose to open with MX Player then the subtitles dont get passed on (seems to be expected but very annoying)
- i I choose to open with Plex i get a loading screen saying "Matching" to "file.mkv". This is what happens for any video, and then a few seconds later im sent to this video screen called "Las Carpetas".

Can someone help??

thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• ckhskrckhskr Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been having the same issue also and have found no answer so far.

• rberberrberber Posts: 170Members ✭✭

Just a FYI not a solution, "Las Carpetas" is Spanish for Folders (literally "The Folders"). Since some of the developers are from Spain perhaps they hard-coded that somewhere, and of course makes no sense to non-Spanish speaking people.

• david.ruso@gmail.comdavid.ruso@gmail.com Posts: 5Members

Thanks @rberber - even if it makes sense to people who understand Spanish, I dont think it makes sense as a feature of the app! It seems like all the files are pointing to this dummy file.mkv and that will prevent me from watching anything with the plex app. To pass the subtitles through, i read that Serenity could do it but it's not available to install for my OP3T...

Help please!

• rberberrberber Posts: 170Members ✭✭

I agree, any non-working feature is useless.

For viewing video with non-burned subtitles you can also use Kodi, with the Plex plugin of course. It has a better (than Plex) video player, and a simple interface (like Plex had, long ago), you only have to get used to its sometimes slow sync (the less you use it, the more time it takes to sync).

Plex app never has played subtitles, the server has to burn them into the video, which means transcoding.

• sGarversGarver Posts: 442Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What is the name of the media file that you are trying to match to? Movie? TV Show? Personal Video?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,680Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@david.ruso@gmail.com said:
    Now i am trying to read videos directly on my mobile (the videos are on my PC with the Plex server), and:
    - i I choose to open with Plex i get a loading screen saying "Matching" to "file.mkv". This is what happens for any video, and then a few seconds later im sent to this video screen called "Las Carpetas".

How are you doing this? Are you using a file explorer and then browsing those files through your network? You mentioned "file.mkv". Are you using the Web Browser and hitting download, then opening that through Plex? Neither of these are the intended method for this feature since these are not "local". Please provide the exact steps you are using so we can look into it, but for know, playing back videos not physically stored on the device is YMMV.

Hi so my setup is:
    - i installed the plex server on my PC who has locally movies and tv shows. they have all been correctly recognized with the posters, etc etc (I already have all the .nfo files from using Plex on that PC)
    - i installed (and paid the 5usd) for the android application of Plex on my phone. I am only trying to watch the videos from the server, i am NOT trying to watch videos that are on my phone.
    - when I open the app i can see all the neatly organized library, i can find all the movies and tv shows that are on my PC. FYI i am not on the local wifi, am on 4G network when im doing that.
    - now i try to open ANY of these videos. on the info page of the video, everything is correct, I can choose the subtitles etc.
    - Now i press the play button, and Android lets me choose between "Open with Plex", "Photos" or "MX Player".
    - If i choose "Open with Plex", i am getting a loading screen where it says in yellow "Matching" and below "file.mkv".
    - then im landing into the info page of a 2011 movie called "Las Carpetas" - that is not on my PC, i never heard of this thing.

• that is the same result for all the movies and tv shows i tried ( > 30 tries)
    • if otherwise i choose "MX Player" then the video plays correctly in my MX Player.

Hope this is clear!

Thanks

@sGarver the file would most likely be eg"Game of Thrones - S01E01.avi"

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,680Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I've tested that scenario and I can reproduce the problem. Turning off the option to use an external player fixes this issue.

That works indeed AND I can see the subtitles - hopefully you guys can fix the bug at some point!
    thanks

I've filed the issue. Yeah, it was just a scenario we hadn't planned for.