Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[BUG] 4k HDR movie get incorrectly transcoded

FuN_KeYFuN_KeY Posts: 97Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

I did download a sample of Lalaland RIP with HDR 4k (450Mb file)

My shield is perfectly able to play it using Kodi, but when I use Plex it forces transcode (resolution or bitrate limite exceeded) and my server explode.

Here are the media info of the file:

Best Answer

Answers

• FuN_KeYFuN_KeY Posts: 97Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Here is the sample file, in case you would like to reproduce: https://mega.nz/#!uklhyawK!SAOZOoyS5NQyHYD5pLE_EM2DuCpUBh05DhAJfE4xvzU

• home_theatre_manhome_theatre_man Posts: 2Members

Same issue here playing 4K HDR10 MP4 test files. Files would Direct Play prior to most recent Shield TV/PLEX client update. Now, I get the "Resolution or bitrate limit exceeded" message and they transcode to 2K. I looked around in the PLEX settings, and nothing seems to have changed. Same files play back fine through PLEX when sourced locally from USB.

Some update here, if I disable the subtitle (SRT), it does direct play.

But there are glitches in the pictures every few seconds

• Jecht SinJecht Sin Posts: 79Members ✭✭
    edited June 26

I had similar issues and I've found out that to play HDR demos I have to force the direct play. Otherwise I get all kind of error (even server not reached or something like that). This on Sony Bravia client on Android 7.0.

EDIT: Never mind. Now I see that all UHD/HDR demo that were playing fine are transcoded to 1080p as well. When they play. I also noticed that the "Original" resolution has gone and it has been replaced with "Maximum". Did they downgrade it to 1080p for any reason?? They are all unplayable with my MacBook Pro as a server.

Despite the transcoding bug that was reported at several other places, were you able to reproduce the faulty playback with my sample?

@FuN_KeY said:
    Despite the transcoding bug that was reported at several other places, were you able to reproduce the faulty playback with my sample?

I have just downgraded the client to version 5.10.3.441 because of the transcoding issue (and now it works in general with UHD HDR videos). In Direct Play settings I had to choose "Forced". I tested your file (La La Land demo). The Plex player before starting asked me to enable the audio passthrough (which I did). The video plays just fine, also in HDR, but I get no audio (I have a Bravia tv and it doesn't support DTS-HD). Disabling the audio passthrough same thing: no audio.

@Jecht Sin said:

@FuN_KeY said:

I have just downgraded the client to version 5.10.3.441 because of the transcoding issue (and now it works in general with UHD HDR videos). In Direct Play settings I had to choose "Forced". I tested your file (La La Land demo). The Plex player before starting asked me to enable the audio passthrough (which I did). The video plays just fine, also in HDR, but I get no audio (I have a Bravia tv and it doesn't support DTS-HD). Disabling the audio passthrough same thing: no audio.

Thank you for your test. I did not want to downgrade (I use Kodi in the meantime). I did test again with 6.1.3 and symptoms are similar

• With subtitle a transcode is triggered
    • Without sub no transcode, but there is jitter/artifact every 10-15 seconds
  • santacruzskimsantacruzskim Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I'm on a Sony Bravia TV (X750D) running AndroidTV. I'm having the same issue, but can't figure out how to sideload the app to roll back to the previous version which was working perfectly. I found the apk's, am in developer mode, and am allowing installation of apps from unknown sources. However, when I try to install any of the 3 variants (ARM v7, ARM v8, or x86), I get an error during install that its either not compatible with my "phone" or that the apk is corrupted. Downloaded from the release notes here in the forum as well as apkmirror with same results.
    Thoughts? -thanks

@santacruzskim You have to first uninstall Plex and then sideload the older version. It happened to me as well.

• santacruzskimsantacruzskim Posts: 4Members ✭✭

ahhhh, wow. Thanks @Jecht Sin, worked perfectly (ARM v7). to close the loop on this -

I had to roll back to v6.0.1.523 in order for it to work properly again. I've seen others fix the problem only to see it return so I'll update if that's the case, but so far, all good. Its 100% client-side, server version is irrelevant in my testing. Also, it was after this version that not only did the 4K files force a transcode to 1080p and say in the description that the source file's resolution was higher than allowed, but that Plex renamed their quality settings from "original" to "maximum" and the 1080p options below that were at a much lower bitrates in the proceeding newer versions. Whether it's just in the language, or a deeper technology shift, It seems they are trying to implement a change moving forward. They've called it a bug, but I'm still skeptical of where this will go in the future so I'll very much hesitate to update until its clear the issue is resolved.

@MovieFan.Plex I did test again with 6.2.1, and it is still not working.

I did rollback to version shipped with the shield (5.6.1 or something similar). It worked there.
    I then did the update to 6.2.1, and it worked as well. In fact, it kept working until I went to the option menu & left (I did not change a single setting, just in & out). Entering the option menu broke the playback.

The playback has 3 different scenarios:

• Direct play (under 5.6.1 & 6.2.1 has long as I do not enter the option menu). The playback is OK (with or without subtitle)
    • Direct stream (under 6.1+, if the subtitle is disabled). The playback is not smooth, there are artifact every 10-15 seconds
    • Transcode (under 6.1+, if the subtitle is enabled). The server is just unable to transcode, plus colors are washed up (HDR transcoded is a mess)
  • HRSCRHRSCR Posts: 351Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here, I leave the logs in the post that I open before

@FuN_KeY Oh, so one doesn't even need to change the settings? I knew changing something it went back transcoding. But just going into the settings section is a bit bizarre. The problem is that I like to have the info about the video I am playing, to check if it is transcoding indeed. Otherwise I would leave it as it is.

@santacruzskim can you please check if this video works?
    http://4kmedia.org/lg-nasa-hdr-4k-demo/

It's a very nice video, so it won't be a total waste of time! It gave me various issues, but it works with 5.10. I ask because in case I'd upgrade to the version you're using.

• interweb-techinterweb-tech Posts: 105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 23

@Jecht Sin said:
    @santacruzskim You have to first uninstall Plex and then sideload the older version. It happened to me as well.

You can also turn off auto updates in Play Store and then uninstall all updates from the Plex app which takes you back to the 5.1.x version that works. I am playing a 10bit HEVEC TrueHD Atmos video rip via Shield TV > Denon x4300H that chokes (video freezes, distorted audio etc) on latest android tv plex. Now it plays fine.

unRaid 6.4.0-rc9f Pro 68TB
    Dockers: Plex Media Server, PlexPy
    DVR: x2 HDHomeRun EXTEND
    NVIDIA Shield TV > Denon X4300H > Sony XBR65X900E
    NVIDIA Shield TV > Pioneer VSX-822-K > Panasonic TCP-65S60
    remote clients: Roku, FireTV, Chrome, Android mobile.

• ccutrerccutrer Posts: 85Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just noticed this today as well. The Shield is supposedly direct streaming the video (I've tried both 4k H.264, and 4k 10bit HEVC), but in both cases the audio is getting downgraded (transcoding to EAC3 for a TrueHD track, stripping down to the core DTS for a DTS HD-MA track). It only stutters on the 10bit HEVC file, and plays a similar bitrate (~60Mbps) 4k H.264 just fine (again, Direct Stream instead of Direct Play). Of course all my settings are set to Maximum, and it's occurring on both a 1080p and a 4k TV.

edited July 23

@interweb-tech said:

@Jecht Sin said:

You can also turn off auto updates in Play Store and then uninstall all updates from the Plex app which takes you back to the 5.1.x version that works. I am playing a 10bit HEVEC TrueHD Atmos video rip via Shield TV > Denon x4300H that chokes (video freezes, distorted audio etc) on latest android tv plex. Now it plays fine.

That isn't entirely correct. I have followed these steps:

1. Uninstalled Plex
    2. Sideloaded an older Plex version downloaded from apk mirror (5.10.x.y in my case)
    3. Configured all I wanted/needed to have configured in the client (like Direct Play: Forced and Info: On)
    4. Updated to the last release

It works. Always or at least with all my UHD HDR demos. As long as I don't touch the settings again, it seems. But what I needed to be configured is there.

• funes727funes727 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 24

I had same issues with transcoding 4k movies (with message "resolution or bitrate limite exceeded") on latest version 6.2.1 on Shield TV, rolled back to v5.6.1 (version in latest nvidia FW update) and everything work fine again.

• Dion250Dion250 Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can play 4K HDR HEVC on the latest plex fine. But the audio always gets transcoded. Which is 7.1 Atmos.

But the kicker is AVC with Atmos 7.1 plays fine.

I reverted back to Plex v5.10.3.441. And 4K HDR HEVC + Atmos 7.1 in MKV direct plays fine.

Seems like there is some massive client issues. But I am sure plex is adding features first instead of fixing bad bugs.

Still broken on 6.3.2 & server 1.8.0

• HRSCRHRSCR Posts: 351Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Dion250 said:
    I can play 4K HDR HEVC on the latest plex fine. But the audio always gets transcoded. Which is 7.1 Atmos.

But the kicker is AVC with Atmos 7.1 plays fine.

I reverted back to Plex v5.10.3.441. And 4K HDR HEVC + Atmos 7.1 in MKV direct plays fine.

Seems like there is some massive client issues. But I am sure plex is adding features first instead of fixing bad bugs.

Use Plex for Kodi app to play fine meanwhile the issue is fixed
    Cheers!