Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Xbox One S 4K Direct Play

Marcdotc@hotmail.comMarcdotc@hotmail.com Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi All

I've tried searching the forums but cant quite find the same issue replicated.

I'm having an issue where no matter what I try, I can't get any 4K MKV content to direct stream to either my Xbox One S or my Samsung KS8000.
I've tried several different sources, HEVC MPEGV and MPEG4, all with DTS audio with all of them transcoding despite selecting original quality. The Xbox One S transcodes to 1080 and for some reason the KS8000 transcodes to 720 despite both being set to 2160.

I have read that the Xbox One S doesn't support DTS, but that doesn't explain the KS8000 not being able to play without transcoding?

I've had a look at the logs for the Xbox One S and for some reason it seems to recognise it only as a 1080 player, unless I'm reading this incorrectly:

Jun 24, 2017 11:32:11.711 [14272] DEBUG - (Capabilities) Platform 'Xbox One' not matched by plugin platform requirements
Jun 24, 2017 11:32:11.711 [14272] DEBUG - (Capabilities) Platform 'Xbox One' not matched by plugin platform requirements

Jun 24, 2017 11:32:11.857 [14272] VERBOSE - [IDLE] Adding (0->1) work item http_download - /player/proxy/poll?deviceClass=pc&protocolVersion=1&protocolCapabilities=timeline%2Cplayback%2Cnavigation%2Cmirror%2Cplayqueues&X-Plex-Client-Identifier=5r4jdjshekep&X-Plex-Product=Plex%20for%20Xbox%20One&X-Plex-Device=Xbox%20One&X-Plex-Platform=Xbox%20One&X-Plex-Platform-Version=10.0&X-Plex-Version=1.8.0&X-Plex-Device-Name=XboxOne&X-Plex-Provides=player&X-Plex-Client-Capabilities=videoDecoders%3Dh264%7Bprofile%3Ahigh%26resolution%3A1080%7D%3BaudioDecoders%3Daac%7Bchannels%3A6%7D%2Cac3%7Bchannels%3A6%7D%2Ceac3%7Bchannels%3A6%7D&X-Plex-Accept-Language=en&X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My server is only a NUC 52450 so isn't powerful enough to transcode 4k without serious lag, but direct stream should be able to play everything unless I've misunderstood the update done allowing HEVC and DTS support for Xbox One S a few months ago. I've also tried streaming via my desktop which has a i7 970, which can transcode the 4k on the fly, but is still transcoding to 1080 rather than 2160.

I was also under the impression that if I was having issues with Xbox One S codec support, the KS8000 should be able to play anything 4k as a direct stream, but that seems to be even worse than the Xbox, and transcodes to 720 according to PlexPy.

http://support.xbox.com/en-ZA/xbox-one/apps/mkv-support

The Xbox and TV are set up correctly from what I understand as games play as 4k HDR (I get the notification on my TV regarding HDR) and I can watch 4k youtube videos etc. Everything is hardwired gigabit network,( aside from the KS8000 which only has 100mb/s networking courtesy of Samsung?!).

Any advice as to what I should be doing that I'm not would be much appreciated, I'd really like to get 4k (Preferably with HDR) working.

Best Answers

Answers

• Marcdotc@hotmail.comMarcdotc@hotmail.com Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Server log file attached for reference.

When I play the file, it indicates that its playing the original quality on the xbox, but if I have a look in PlexPy it notes that it's transcoding to 1080.

For reference:

I do understand that the DTS to AAC transcode issue would cause audio transcoding, but video should direct play at 4k, not transcode to 1080 if I'm not mistaken.

• WiidesireWiidesire Posts: 552Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Marcdotc@hotmail.com said:
    I do understand that the DTS to AAC transcode issue would cause audio transcoding, but video should direct play at 4k, not transcode to 1080 if I'm not mistaken.

Couple of things to note here.
    Only UHD H.265 8 and 10-bit files are supported, UHD H.264 8-bit doesn't work.
    Also when the audio stream gets transcoded/remuxed the video will be transcoded as well because HEVC is not currently part of the HLS streaming standard the Xbox One uses. Because as mentioned earlier UHD H.264 8-bit is not supported in general and HEVC is not part of HLS your video gets transcoded to H.264 1080p.

You'll have to use "4k" files with AAC/AC3 to be able to direct play them in "4k".

Ok, for some reason the Plex Optimise option gives an error and won't do anything for any of the files so I'll try find a remuxer and convert the DTS to AC3 and try again. Will report back on what happens.

My query was more related to why it seems to rtranscode to 1080 rather than at least trying to transcode to 2160? I do realise that it wouldn't really work with my server hardware, but it should at least try (albeit as a stuttery laggy mess)

Accepted Answer

Thanks, after much playing with transcoding, I have managed to get things working as you said.

Your insight is much appreciated Wiidesire.

• ZipTBMZipTBM Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's clear that 4k content needs to be encoded in h265 with supported audio (AAC or AC3 5.1) in order to direct play to an Xbox One S in 4k.

However, my 4k file (in h264 video and AC3 5.1 audio) appears to be transcoding the video to 4k and direct streaming the AC3 audio. Per this thread, it should be transcoding the video down in quality, right? Curious what's going on here...

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,839Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@ZipTBM said:
    It's clear that 4k content needs to be encoded in h265 with supported audio (AAC or AC3 5.1) in order to direct play to an Xbox One S in 4k.

However, my 4k file (in h264 video and AC3 5.1 audio) appears to be transcoding the video to 4k and direct streaming the AC3 audio. Per this thread, it should be transcoding the video down in quality, right? Curious what's going on here...

We would need to see your log file. It is very possible that plexpy is parsing the logs incorrect. For example I currently have a transcoded stream going out and PlexPy reports it as Video Transcode (h264) (x)

The logs however will show exactly what the transcoder is being fed and sending out.