If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Regarding the 2.12.3 update...

jsg2021jsg2021 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Answers

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,197Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited June 30

The Chromecast will no longer be able to support 5.1 AAC. We still support surround sound with Dolby Digital on the Chromecast as long as the device reports that it is possible.

• jsg2021jsg2021 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

will Plex transcode 5.1 AAC to AC3?

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,197Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Yes, 5.1 AAC can transcode to 5.1 AC3.

• MrGibbageMrGibbage Posts: 105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I haven't had a chance to test it, but will this fix the recent Chromecast release that broke AAC playback in that it would crash after roughly 30 minutes of playback? Previously reported here:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/270507/new-issue-casting-to-chromecast-hangs-at-34-minutes-into-any-media/p1

I've been carefully selecting the AC3 for the last few weeks to make sure it doesn't crash. I am wondering what the behavior is now? Does AAC not even show up as an option for playback when casting? Does it automatically just transcode AAC->AC3? Do I need to do anything differently now?

• MrGibbageMrGibbage Posts: 105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

By the way, I meant to ask, I never realized that Chromecast was a separate app with separate version numbers. I assume it is just a part of the plex server package? Or does it not reside on my server, and instead it lives on a remote Plex server? Or perhaps on the android client??? Just trying to get a feel for how it all works, from the application point of view. I mean, I know how it works when I press the cast button, but I don't really know what's all going on behind the scenes.

It automatically transcodes. You shouldn't need to do anything different. The Chromecast app is separate from Plex Media Server. It's hosted on a web server.

• lucasgaleylucasgaley Posts: 1Members

Is there any way to use the old Chromecast app for my own situation specifically? Since the update, videos are constantly transcoding and those videos that had split audio tracks automatically play AAC, which is causing disconnect issues between the android app and the actual chromecast. Never had any problems streaming any files until this update.

So, any way of rolling back for myself?