If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Transcoder error - exit code 1 when syncing

CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 613Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited June 30 in Linux

I am experiencing a transcoder error with exit code 1 when I intend to transcode any type of TV show or movie (tested avi and mkv) for syncing to my mobile. Since my server is really low on power, I normally don't transcode at all, but for syncing to mobile this would be beneficial due to space requirements. The same happens when I try to create an optimized version from web app, which is what I did when pulling the logs attached. Searched the forums/web but didn't find a solution.

Server Version 1.7.5.4035 on ubuntu server 16.04
Transcoding starts at Jun 30, 2017 11:57:58.100 in the logs.
Server is an Asus Chromebox with an underpowered Celeron CPU.

Would appreciate your help.

Best Answer

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 613Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 30 Accepted Answer

Yes I specified a folder on my usb drive since the Chromebox only has a small SSD. Although I assume that permission are set right, this didn't work. Which folder does Plex use if I don't specify one?
    Anyway emptying the temporary transcoding directory led to the same error...

For the sake of testing I also specified /tmp which is on my SSD obviously. Free space 8 GB. Plex does successfully create a directory but the error remains :(

Edit: Gotta admit that also my Plex Library lies on this very usb drive, which seems to cause problems:
    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/222642/transcoder-fails-after-upgrade/

But thanks to this thread I could solve my own problem:
    I needed to add the 'exec' option in the fstab entry for my usb drive. So thanks @bumperjeep for pushing my into the right direction :)

Edit 2: Witnessing my first transcode just now... Holy cow is my machine slow :D

Answers

• bumperjeepbumperjeep Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Do you have a custom transcode directory by any chance?

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 613Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 30 Accepted Answer

Yes I specified a folder on my usb drive since the Chromebox only has a small SSD. Although I assume that permission are set right, this didn't work. Which folder does Plex use if I don't specify one?
    Anyway emptying the temporary transcoding directory led to the same error...

For the sake of testing I also specified /tmp which is on my SSD obviously. Free space 8 GB. Plex does successfully create a directory but the error remains :(

Edit: Gotta admit that also my Plex Library lies on this very usb drive, which seems to cause problems:
    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/222642/transcoder-fails-after-upgrade/

But thanks to this thread I could solve my own problem:
    I needed to add the 'exec' option in the fstab entry for my usb drive. So thanks @bumperjeep for pushing my into the right direction :)

Edit 2: Witnessing my first transcode just now... Holy cow is my machine slow :D