Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Any workaround for Direct Play from remote server until 2.009 comes out?

ElJimador40ElJimador40 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 124 Plex Pass

Hi. My sister keeps running into buffering trying to watch movies off my remote server on her 2014 model Samsung TV (UN55H7100) because of the known bug with v2.008 that causes everything from a remote server to be transcoded even if it should be able to be direct played. So until 2.009 is released and available to her, is there anything she can do (like roll back to 2.007 or change her connection method to my server) to allow direct play to work? We both have network bandwidth to spare (95 Mbps upload for me, 85 Mbps download for her) so it's frustrating for her family when they still get buffering anyway due to throttling when transcoding shouldn't even be necessary in the fist place.

Thanks and look forward to your feedback.

Answers

  • BigStevie1973BigStevie1973 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,128 Plex Pass

    @ElJimador40 said:
    Hi. My sister keeps running into buffering trying to watch movies off my remote server on her 2014 model Samsung TV (UN55H7100) because of the known bug with v2.008 that causes everything from a remote server to be transcoded even if it should be able to be direct played. So until 2.009 is released and available to her, is there anything she can do (like roll back to 2.007 or change her connection method to my server) to allow direct play to work? We both have network bandwidth to spare (95 Mbps upload for me, 85 Mbps download for her) so it's frustrating for her family when they still get buffering anyway due to throttling when transcoding shouldn't even be necessary in the first place.

    Thanks and look forward to your feedback.

    Unfortunately not. I am in exactly the same boat and frankly getting a little miffed at how slow they are being to release an update for this bearing in mind they have known about it pretty much immediately since 2.008 was released several weeks ago.

  • ElJimador40ElJimador40 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 124 Plex Pass

    @BigStevie1973 said:

    Unfortunately not. I am in exactly the same boat and frankly getting a little miffed at how slow they are being to release an update for this bearing in mind they have known about it pretty much immediately since 2.008 was released several weeks ago.

    That's what I suspected. Oh well. Thanks for confirming at least.

    BTW when the new release is available will she at least get a prompt through her TV to install it? Or does one of us have to keep an eye on the release announcements here so she knows when to go look for it? My LG TV let's me know when app updates are available but wasn't sure if it's the same with Samsung.

  • gertgermangertgerman Members Posts: 755 Plex Pass

    My Samsung doesn’t tell me. I have auto updates turned on and they don’t work either. I check periodically and have to manually update everything.

  • BigStevie1973BigStevie1973 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,128 Plex Pass

    @gertgerman said:
    My Samsung doesn’t tell me. I have auto updates turned on and they don’t work either. I check periodically and have to manually update everything.

    There's still no word on it and apparently it is issued to newer TVs first. Although, someone told me that since they got moved from the ams server to the ric server, the transcoding has been working well. I am literally just about to test it now for myself and will update you on how I get on.

  • BigStevie1973BigStevie1973 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,128 Plex Pass

    @BigStevie1973 said:

    @gertgerman said:
    My Samsung doesn’t tell me. I have auto updates turned on and they don’t work either. I check periodically and have to manually update everything.

    There's still no word on it and apparently it is issued to newer TVs first. Although, someone told me that since they got moved from the ams server to the ric server, the transcoding has been working well. I am literally just about to test it now for myself and will update you on how I get on.

    First episode (720p) worked fine, second one buffered two or three times in the first couple of minutes, so I gave up and used the Fire Stick instead and as usual it was flawless; just a shame it doesn't play 4K.

Sign In or Register to comment.