If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

No Audio Since Latest Version Upgrade

Since installing the latest version, I am unable to get the audio tracks when watching videos.

Only hear the music, no spoken parts.

QNAP TS-869 PRO | Samsung Series 5 HT-E5550W | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit

Answers

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 10,901Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

What audio format/s are you playing and on what device are you playing them on?

If you are playing multi-channel audio through a stereo system then yes, sometimes the vocals are cut out because the center front channel is responsible for vocals, but that channel is dropped when the audio is down mixed to stereo.

The only way to correct that would be to add a stereo audio track to your file or replace the multi-channel track with a stereo track.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • XR FalconXR Falcon Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Cheers Andy.

That would be all good, but the movies worked perfectly fine before the new version came out. And if they worked fine before, but be stuffed if I'm changing all them over to a stereo format to fix a bug.

But everything is accessed through a gigabyte LAN, being played on the Samsung Player & other devices.

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 10,901Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

This is not a bug. The down mixing is performed the same way on any device. You should note that it does not apply to all multi-channel audio either.

It depends on how the audio was originally engineered and whether or not only the center front channel was used for vocals. Some files have the vocals spread across all three front channels and those files when down mixed play just fine.

Like I said, either add a stereo track or only download files that have stereo tracks if you do not have the equipment to support multi-channel audio.

You could of course invest in an AV Receiver if you wanted to hear the multi-channel audio, but that can be expensive and the gains are questionable.

Your network has absolutely no bearing on your audio systems whatsoever. If your device (TV etc.) only has a stereo audio system (and most TV's only have stereo or two speakers) you cannot play multi-channel audio through that without down mixing.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

Well I disagree with your point. The video files **WORKED **before the last version upgrade.....

That would be the main point, they worked before. No issues with any sound, be it stereo, 5.1 or 7.1. The Samsung Home Theatre system where they are played through **BEFORE **the upgrade played perfectly.

So before jumping on your high horse, read the signature to see what I use....

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,866Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Latest version of what? The Plex Server or the Plex client? Since you posted in the general board I am unsure of which one you are talking about.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

Plex Dance

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

The Plex Server, it updated a couple of days ago. Since then the issue with audio has been there.

Have tried the Plex app on the Home Theatre, but it's up to date. So the only thing that has changed is the server.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,866Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited July 2017

What is the version number of your Plex Server?

What app are you using on your Windows 10 PC? Are you using the desktop Plex Media Player?

Where are my log files?

Plex Dance

Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Server Version is 1.7.5.4035

The only way I use Plex on the PC is through the QNAP server. And that's to sort the files, not to watch.

So what Plex clients are you using? It would be very helpful if you fully documented exactly how you have things set up - server, clients, etc.

Where are my log files?

Plex Dance

The Plex app version is 2.007, that appears to be the latest version on the Samsung app page.

This feeds straight off the QNAP NAS, without any issues till now.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,884Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

@trumpy81 said:
    ...If your device (TV etc.) only has a stereo audio system (and most TV's only have stereo or two speakers) you cannot play multi-channel audio through that without down mixing.

One would think that. I'm one.
    I'm Direct Playing AC3 5.1 files on my particular wonder of (stolen) Chinese Technology. I stopped trying to figure out exactly how, but the biggest hurdle was setting my devices to use DD (AC3 5.1) and not just Stereo and that seemed to trigger some Chinese Magic and the multi-channel audio started working through those two external speakers and sub-woofer plugged into the TV's Headphone Jack.

Hey, I don't look a gift high horse in the mouth:

................................................................ROTBLOL..............................
    ........................................(Rolling on the Beach Laughing Out Loud)

BTW:
    Has anyone informed the combative user that Plex doesn't develop that Samsung App?
    How 'bout pointing out that the DLNA server in PMS is woefully inadequate?
    No?
    (Refer to Chuckles the Seal above)

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

@JuiceWSA said:

@trumpy81 said:
    ...If your device (TV etc.) only has a stereo audio system (and most TV's only have stereo or two speakers) you cannot play multi-channel audio through that without down mixing.

One would think that. I'm one.
    I'm Direct Playing AC3 5.1 files on my particular wonder of (stolen) Chinese Technology. I stopped trying to figure out exactly how, but the biggest hurdle was setting my devices to use DD (AC3 5.1) and not just Stereo and that seemed to trigger some Chinese Magic and the multi-channel audio started working through those two external speakers and sub-woofer plugged into the TV's Headphone Jack.

BTW - you might try O2. It could ward off lightheadedness from way up there on that horse of yours:

I guess your ability to read as well Juice is just as hard as Trumpys. You might have missed the part where it goes through a Home Theatre system, which unlike your cheap stolen TV plays surround sound.

That would be the main point, they worked before. No issues with any sound, be it stereo, 5.1 or 7.1. The where they are played through **BEFORE **the upgrade played perfectly.

So unless you can be helpful.... Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,884Members ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the TV.
    The Chinese stole the technology to make it.
    That's a revolving door and keeps shooting me back into the building.
    (refer to Chuckles the Seal above)

Here's a hot tip that may be helpful:
    Life - and Plex - is a work-around in progress.
    If the volunteer support staff - that's trying to help you - can't come up with the solution and you have to wait for Plex to notice the problem and fix it, it could be a while, so you'd better start working with the volunteer support staff and/or find that work-around or you're going to need subtitles.

One sure way to compound your issues is to irritate the volunteer support staff. They'll simply stop trying to help you because they aren't getting paid, have no job to lose and if abused enough will just vanish...

It may have already happened.

Ahhh, there we go... found my way out through that revolving door.

Toodles.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not