Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Grey bars in HDR instead of black

Jecht SinJecht Sin Posts: 117Members ✭✭

When reproducing HDR videos narrower than 16:9 the black bars turn grey. Like in this picture:

It is really quite ugly and distracting. Any chance to make them pure black?

Answers

• HRSCRHRSCR Posts: 414Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have image and sound but the HDR is not working

• Jecht SinJecht Sin Posts: 117Members ✭✭

It may depend on the video. Still it isn't what we are discussing in here..

• dachewster99dachewster99 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah, any fix for this yet? All of the sudden all of my videos seem to have grey bars, its so ugly!

• paulobmarcospaulobmarcos Posts: 3Members

I also have this issue. In HDR the letterbox is gray instead of black but the image has pure blacks. (Sony X900E, seems to be an issue with AndroidTV plex app)

Also, while using the Plex plugin with Kodi doesn't seem to have this issue (same content in both tests). It is some sort of bug with the AndroidTV Plex app.

Sorry for double-posting.

I have noticed the same in VLC Beta. It shows black bars instead in Kodi. I am not sure how it works in HDR but I thought Black (RGB: 000 000 000?) was Black nonetheless. Unless that's a bug in the HDR algorithms in Sony Bravia TVs. Because I get that sort of dark gray appearing in some HDR dark night scenes as well. Sometime switching back to black when the camera in the scene switches position.

Tested a few AndroidTV player apps and a lot of them seem to have this issue (VLC, Archos Player...). I read somewhere that the Amazon Prime app also has this issue with HDR content, but Netflix doesn't. There is something that needs to be changed in AndroidTV apps to rightly display HDR letterboxes, that is my guess.

In the new beta is fixed, but In not sure when goes public.
    In other hand, Bravia's (for licenses and other Sony c..p) always get more problems than other TV brands. Even Sony smart's can handle the apps I always recommend an Android TV Box (nVidia or whatever) Regards.

edited August 2017

I have got the Plex version 6.4.0.1558 (I believe it's the latest beta because I subscribed to the beta program). The grey bars in HDR are still there. Unless you have access to beta releases that do not go public in the Play store.

Then I am not sure what you have against the Bravia brand. This TV plays all kind of contents, no licenses restrictions at all. Sure, there are many issues due to the Mediatek's awful implementation of the Linux kernel and of some Android TV parts, and the SoC is slow. But most of the problems I describe in this forum are due to the Plex client, because the same videos via DLNA or USB with Kodi or Sony's own stock Video app play just fine. I have been actually surprised. I thought Sony was going to put some restrictions for copyright reasons indeed, but smartly they didn't.

Then if you say that the gray bars issue was present in the Nvidia shield as well, that can still be something with Plex client implementation. Playing with Sony's Video the same movie in the picture above the bars are black (very black) indeed. And with Video all movies (even with Atmos audio) have the sound. While in Plex they either convert, crash or are silent.

• ExGarderExGarder Posts: 2Members

Now It's december, and it still looks awfully.
    On my new oled tv I wish it to be black and not Plex Grey.

@Jecht Sin said:

Then if you say that the gray bars issue was present in the Nvidia shield as well, that can still be something with Plex client implementation. Playing with Sony's Video the same movie in the picture above the bars are black (very black) indeed. And with Video all movies (even with Atmos audio) have the sound. While in Plex they either convert, crash or are silent.

I have not gray bars on my nVidia Shield Second Generation using PLex Client. I have my own server I don't use the server on my Shield.

How reference, I hope help you to figured out

• ExGarderExGarder Posts: 2Members

@HRSCR said:

@Jecht Sin said:

I have not gray bars on my nVidia Shield Second Generation using PLex Client. I have my own server I don't use the server on my Shield.

I can't see it have anything with Sony to do.
    Other streaming apps shows black bars, just Plex show Plex grey bars.

@ExGarder said:

@HRSCR said:

@Jecht Sin said:

I can't see it have anything with Sony to do.
    Other streaming apps shows black bars, just Plex show Plex grey bars.

Today, I'm watch some movies and test another one's and i see black bars, nothing gray

• cjsnowycjsnowy Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a Sony 9300D and still have the grey bars while watching HDR content. This issue was report many months ago. Plex - are you working on a fix for this?

• lostsignallostsignal Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any updates? I just discovered this playing 4K HDR content on a Sony X900E with the latest public Plex app on Android.

Weird to me still reading about this issue, I never had that situation with the horizontal bars. I don't have a Sony TV. I use LG TV brand.

• Radl25Radl25 Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

same issue with sony X930E :-( seems to be a sony problem...

@Radl25 said:
    same issue with sony X930E :-( seems to be a sony problem...

That's what I said before, is a Sony issue

• Radl25Radl25 Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I asked Sony for Support now, lets see what they tell me....

• RyushinRyushin Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is also occurring on my Sony Z9D and Sony 900E. I have not found a solution yet.